The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 20, 1998, 03:39 AM   #1
Clay Whitehead

It's wish time folks. If you could have any firearm for your favorite type of competition, what would you get. Money is no object because you just won the Powerball. What accessories would you put with it?

Just remember, big dreams don't cost any more than little ones until you try to realize them. Happy Holidays!

Old December 20, 1998, 04:07 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

I would get a custom .22 rifle for STC use. It would bebased on a ruger 10/22. It would have titanium internals and SS from Power Custom, SS trigger and extended mag release from the same, Fajen thumbhole competition stock, floated Green mountain Barrel and a Redfield 8-32x 30mm scope. the whole thing would be put together by Chuck Hearn & sons Custom Rifle. Oops, I got that last year.

how about this:

I'd get one of those Mac-11 carbines that have had their cyclic rate reduced to under 600 rpm, then I'd start competing in Subgun matches.

I am not a big fan of competition "practical" guns, because of the obvious contradiction.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 20, 1998, 10:07 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

How about an A-10, just for plinking

Honestly I really don't know. It would depend on which competition. I don't have only one favorite. CAS would probably be 1875 Remington and Scholfied(sp). My heavy octagonal barrel Rolling Block and probably an 1881 Marlin. Three gun-handgun would be Para or Springfield 40 cal with full ambi controls; Jackhammer or Gordon CWS shotgun; rifle-not sure possibly left hand Blaser or Dakota in 300 Win Mag. IPSC; I like my full ambi 1911 ( not a gamesman) and my Benelli M121. As for subgun matches, it's hard to shoot fut it's also hard to beat the classic lines of a Thompson. BTW, I saw somewhere on the web that Dillon's personal minigun and mount was for sale. don't know if it's bs or not.
Old December 21, 1998, 11:18 PM   #4
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

You didn't tell us your dream gun Clay.

Here's what I'd like:
Take an original smooth grip M17.
Drill and put in a .40 locking block and extractor.
Add a M35 top-end with Jarvis barrel and MMC sights.
But wait, I'm not done.
I'd send the frame to Guntriks and have it painted "Screaming Canary Yellow"
A little red skateboard tape would contrast quite nicely.
Then, the slide would go to Ti-gold for a "Atomic Purple" or "Saphire Blue" coating.
That baby'd look nice in one of my custom Python holsters and matching mag pouches.
Of course, about 10 or 12 hi-caps would have to be included.
Old December 21, 1998, 11:54 PM   #5
Clay Whitehead

I guess I should have told you up front what I wanted for dream gun(s). I have simple tastes.

A nice handgun would be a Glock 19 with decent sights. They don't even have to be night sights. Heinie target sights work just fine. A good IWB holster with mag pouch and atleast a half dozen Glock high cap magazines for those long matches or Reactive Ted targets.

A 20 guage version of the Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights and a Speed Feed stock would be nice for the occasional shotgun stage. My poor aged bones don't care for the recoil of the 12 guage.

I'll take a CAR-15 clone with the full length forend for the extra sight radius. A trigger job would help for control. I want one with the handle and an ACOG on the top so my tired eyes can see what is going on.

For a little variety a Scout rifle based on a Remington Model 600 with a fiberglas stock in .308 complete with sights and Scout Scope. We'll go a little more weight than the good Colonel's 6.5 pounds so I don't get pounded whilst shooting a few and running off.

This battery would keep me satisfied for at least a week and a half or until I start thinking about Cowboy Action Shooting. Hmm...
Old December 22, 1998, 12:50 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

50 calibre M2 in full auto. Match Obermeyer or Krieger spare barrels and a Leupold MK 4 in 16x mounted atop. Optional turret ring mount for my Land Rover.

Reach out, Reach out and touch someone.
Old December 22, 1998, 01:18 AM   #7
Rob Pincus

Ahhh, yes Gary.... that will come in handy for the Post-Millenial Armored Car Demolition Death Match competitions or what?

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 24, 1998, 04:13 PM   #8
bear

Many years ago I knew a friend who had a .30 cal. machine gun, would be fun... getting back a little closer to reality, I'm shooting USPSA and just picked up a SVI .38 super and still drooling over that (wife is still fuming though) but I guess one of those custom built varmit rifles would be nice, seen one in a magazine that went for about $7,000.

------------------

Old December 25, 1998, 01:51 AM   #9
pat

mine is easy an all steel AR-15 black star acumax barrel 1/4 min sights whith a min chamber and short throat 1in 8 twist in arrest me red gloss just to show off merry christmas
Old December 29, 1998, 04:47 PM   #10
David

God has been good to me the past three years and my collection only lacks the HIGH dollar class III stuff. What used to be my ultimate dream gun, will arrive in February. It's a H&K PSG-1 + goodies. The only things left are way, way out of my price range, or I can't have them because of my civilian status.

I would actually like to have a mini-gun or two, and a 20 mm cannon would be nice. Hey, I like to dream big...
Old January 2, 1999, 08:18 PM   #11
Mikey

Sorry to be so late. Just found this thread.
My dream gun? I just finished fitting the last piece on it. It's built specifically for IDPA competition - you know, the sport where you shoot what you carry...yeah, right.
Here it is...1911-A1, all stainless steel, all hand fit, Caspian frame and slide, Nowlin barrel and bushing, Smith & Alexander one-piece mag well and mainspring housing with matching bocote wood grips, Wilson ultra-light hammer, A2 sear, light match trigger, Wilson high-ride beavertail, Wilson ambi thumb safties, Briley checkered slide stop, Nowlin tactical mag release, Bo-Mar BMCS rear sight, Novak serrated improved ramp front, and best of all it ain't no 45 - it's a 40 cal, toooo sweet!

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited 01-02-99).]
Old January 18, 1999, 12:52 AM   #12
Gattling

Hmmmmm I would dearly like to have a pair of shotguns By H&H and set of average and large bore Big game riffles of the above make or Gibson & sons Co. or Purdey or actually any other english "Best Gun" classified manufacturer.
Since I'm not likely to get such a wealth in this life that I'm capable of buying weapons at price range of $110 000
a piece I'd go for a 20m/m Lahti AntiTank Rifle, New in box, please with all the original equipment the delievery crate and armorers crate with full gear. Pleeezeee

Sturdy supply of ammo would be nice allso.

Those individuals who are familiar with the Weapon know that it has more Bollox than herd of horny bulls.

Gatt...
(48.6KJ anyone ? Just for record .50BMG~18.2KJ)

Old January 18, 1999, 07:18 PM   #13
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I like my Mauser, "Cody" rifle in .308. It does everything I want it to, and reach out ant touch something. I call the gun "Ma Bell" and the Scope AT&T for long distance. You can view this rifle @

http://members.tripod.com/~stock4broker/Firearms.html

YOu can also see my second choice in Mauser .243.