The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old April 3, 2018, 08:50 PM   #26
rjinga

PTR 91, GI model at 400 yds, off of a table rest, with surplus ammo. I got 16 out of 20, or 16 out of 18 if you count the first two low shots as sighters.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old April 3, 2018, 08:54 PM   #27
rjinga

PTR 91, GI model with PPU match ammo. 600 yds off of a table rest at the CMP Marksmanship Park at Talladega, AL.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old April 4, 2018, 12:21 AM   #28
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Isn't shooting someone's dog risky if that dog is not attacking you or someone else?
Not where I was raised. Mutt/s chasing deer or killing live stock on another's property is seldom over looked. The rules were: whom ever owned the dog was responsible for its actions. Denial by owner once. Garnered there wouldn't be a second meet & greet complaining.

Deer have little chance in deep snow when chased by lightweight dog/s who are able to run on the snows crust. Once a mutt is successful at ham stringing deer. Most dogs cannot be trained not too. Such chasing dog/s require being chained for life or destroyed.
"When a loose dog arrives at its owners door having a blood covered muzzle. I highly doubt the owners mutt was out & about treeing squirrel's."
Old April 4, 2018, 05:28 AM   #29
stagpanther

I live in a rural area too--and I totally get the negligence of neighbors who let their dogs run free without the slightest concern for what they do. My dogs are kept in the yard and under my control at all times--and on leash when I leave my property--but dogs being dogs--they are naturally attracted to wildlife--and have busted out of my fenced-in yard a couple of times to run after wildlife. It's instinct. If someone shot one of my dogs and then showed up on my property armed and had a connection with shooting my dog, my guess is that there would be a very poor outcome to someone whatever discussion ensued.
Old April 4, 2018, 05:57 AM   #30
Road_Clam

4 shots from my M1A at 600 yds, one shot scored a 8 ring hit , unfortunately the other 3 shots were not on paper... LOL so an awesome shot pure luck. I have extremely poor eyesight but I wanted to see if I had the capability to conquer 600 yds with irons, unfortunately the answer is no. However I can proficiently shoot my 1903-A4 with a 2.5 optic well at 600 so i'm ok with not being able to shoot irons. I'm good with M1/M1A irons out to 200 yds, 300 yds max is what I feel safe with.
Old April 5, 2018, 04:18 PM   #31
Don Fischer

My longest shot with open sight's was at a sage rat with my 22 mag at 1714yds 3 7/16th inch's! :-)
Old April 5, 2018, 05:42 PM   #32
DukeConnor

I shot a bird off a wire in very windy conditions at 75 yards with a cheap crossman bb gun.
Old April 7, 2018, 03:09 PM   #33
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Absolutely;
Confrontation in such matters often go hay wire or sideways in a heart beat. Than again country folks differ from towns folk. With country folks: Neighborly Rules are observed. #1._ Best their dog/s not be seen chasing deer on another's property in the Spring or especially during State wide deer hunting season. Given that the mutts owner was so informed of his dogs behaviour shortly before hand.
That mutt's disorder be it instinctive_ accidental release_ broken chain_ whatever? Unlike a deer. Seldom
did a observed chasing dog for a second or third time deserve a "Go free Pass" in the neighborhood where I was raised.

Game Wardens and Peace Officers would have a difference of opinion Oh I'm sure. But Neighborly Rules are still rules whether agreed to or not._ So to speak__ ["know'ed & "Set in stone."]
Old April 15, 2018, 08:44 AM   #34
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee View Post
Absolutely;
Confrontation in such matters often go hay wire or sideways in a heart beat. Than again country folks differ from towns folk. With country folks: Neighborly Rules are observed. #1._ Best their dog/s not be seen chasing deer on another's property in the Spring or especially during State wide deer hunting season. Given that the mutts owner was so informed of his dogs behaviour shortly before hand.
That mutt's disorder be it instinctive_ accidental release_ broken chain_ whatever? Unlike a deer. Seldom
did a observed chasing dog for a second or third time deserve a "Go free Pass" in the neighborhood where I was raised.

Game Wardens and Peace Officers would have a difference of opinion Oh I'm sure. But Neighborly Rules are still rules whether agreed to or not._ So to speak__ ["know'ed & "Set in stone."]
I wouldn't have a mean dog; and I wouldn't have a dog that I had to chain up. My property is fenced in, and my Lab runs free. She barks at everyone who walks down the street; but she just wants attention. Once someone reaches over the fence & pets her, she's good to go. Some grandma was walking with a toddler & the kid stuck her arm through the chain link fence. The dog gave her arm a serious slurping; saliva flying everywhere. The grandma nearly had a stroke. I take her to the range & she loves to watch the ducks at the dam. I haven't taken her hunting; but I know she has the instinct to drag back whatever I shoot. At the range, she once brought one of the ducks to me; alive & well, & not a scratch; but it had to be day that the duck will tell it's grandchildren about. I would say, the very best hunting dog I ever had, as far as beating the brush, was my Jack Russell. If he went in, you knew a bird or rabbit was coming out. His ears had splits from being caught on brush chasing out game. I often carried him in the game pocket of my hunting vest. Maybe he weighed 12 or 14 pounds.
Old April 15, 2018, 09:59 AM   #35
pete2

We hit targets(pop up human size) at 500 meters in the army with M-14 rifles and iron sights. It ain't magical.
Old April 15, 2018, 10:36 AM   #36
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No. More. Dogs.
Old April 16, 2018, 07:30 AM   #37
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman View Post
No. More. Dogs.
It's easy to go off on tangents. Jim
Old April 16, 2018, 07:59 AM   #38
Art Eatman