The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Josh Smith

The Second Amendment Annotated

Hello,

I wrote the following hoping some of you might be able to use it. I've been told recently that history doesn't matter since we're living now; I disagree.

This is my work. You have my permission to pass it around. You may add to it if you wish, but please do not delete anything. Keep my name etc.

Annotated Second Amendment

1. A well-regulated militia
(men 17-45, supplying their own small arms and drilling, at least in theory, with some regularity)

2. Necessary to the security of a free State (providing for the common defense; first responders in an armed crisis)

3. The right OF THE PEOPLE (not the right of the "militia", but the right of THE PEOPLE, who comprise the militia; The People remain armed regardless of the existence of an organized Militia; The People must retain the ability to raise a militia)

4. To keep and bear arms (historically, those arms in common use by infantry in militias and militaries at any given time, not just 1776, given the stated mission of the militia)

5. Shall not be infringed (self-explanatory; the British tried to deprive the colonies of powder and arms so they could be subjugated; this sparked a hot war)

Regards,
Josh
Old May 7, 2018, 04:53 PM   #2
NateKirk

What are you trying to accomplish? Explain? Inform? Spark debate? What you have is your personal interpretation of what the second amendment says. If you want people with any intelligence to take this seriously (assuming your goal isn't simply social media shares from like-minded people,) then you will have to provide sources to support this interpretation, using references other than your own knowledge base

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old May 7, 2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Josh Smith

I want people to say, "I didn't know it said that."

Then I want them to agree with or refute my contentions.

However, I want them to research it for themselves rather than relying on my word or even relying on pro-gun groups.

I guess sparking discussion is a secondary goal, but sparking self-education is a primary goal.

Regards,
Josh
Old May 7, 2018, 05:41 PM   #4
rwilson452

I have read many years in the past, that in the south, families would bring their arms to church in rural areas. After services they would target practice and have matches. As part of their militia drill. No, I don't recall where I read it but the source was reliable.

Most people don't know why Sen. Burnside formed the NRA. Anyone here care to chime in on his reasoning?
Old May 7, 2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Josh Smith

RWilson,

I thought it was marksmanship training.

But I thought Mssrs Smith and Wingate formed it? Don't recall a Sen Burnside?

Regards,
Josh
Old May 7, 2018, 08:54 PM   #6
rickyrick

Because it mentions the militia, antis don’t care.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:49 PM   #7
rwilson452

Josh,
Quote:
I thought it was marksmanship training.

But I thought Mssrs Smith and Wingate formed it? Don't recall a Sen Burnside?

Regards,
Josh
Correct,
Burnside noted the need and had the idea. Smith and Wingate executed the plan.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:59 PM   #8
Frank Ettin
Staff

I don't see this going anywhere.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread