The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 18, 2014, 10:50 PM   #76
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Today, the defendant, Sheriff Ed Prieto has filed his petition for rehearing en banc.

I've only skimmed the file, but it is essentially regurgitating what has all been said before. The file is a 10.5mb scanned pdf and is much too large to upload.
Old March 18, 2014, 11:48 PM   #77
Jim March

I think that's a non-issue. The judges of the 9th Circuit aren't total idiots. They're either going to approve Peruta for en banc or not. If not, they won't approve Richards.

This is just a PR move on Prieto's part.
Old March 19, 2014, 04:58 AM   #78
press1280

It may just signal Prieto may file for cert if en banc is denied. I hope he does.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:51 AM   #79
speedrrracer

Well, it might change the dynamic the 9th feels wrt the motions to intervene in Peruta, or wrt granting en banc (if the motions are granted).

If the judges on the 9th for some reason feel it's a bit cheesy to have the AG come in at the 11th hour, but they did feel an en banc was reasonable, but maybe didn't want to show their anti-2A stance too blatantly or didn't want to disrespect O'Scanny by voting for one themselves, Prieto has now given the judges on the 9th an "out".

So, they can slap the AG down, and / or save face by pretending to respect O'Scanny's decision, yet still get the case en banc. I don't know if this dynamic exists or is reasonable or what, but it exists in the realm of possibility.

My immediate concern (I think Peruta is a winner before SCOTUS eventually) is getting a virtual shall-issue environment here in CA -- I want the mandate staying Peruta lifted, and I hope that if motions to intervene are denied or en banc is denied in Peruta, then the mandate will be lifted, regardless of what's happening in Prieto.

Tags
2nd amendment , ca may issue , firearm rights , saf/gura