The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Model12Win

Budget Double?

Does anyone, anywhere, make an affordable double barrel side by side 12 gauge shotgun anymore that isn't junk? Without going used, anybody? Came close to buying a Chinese hammered gun but too ugly. Anyone know?
Old April 19, 2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Virginian

A Stoeger Uplander with extractors and double triggers is the best option in my opinion. They are used in Cowboy shooting a lot and that is tough service. It is not a Purdey, but they do work. Stay away from single triggers and/or ejectors. If you are going low cost, keep it simple.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:44 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Doesn't CZ offer one?
Yes, it's nearly $1,000. But, everything is more expensive in today's world. A month's worth of food for my household is $800-1,000.
I'd rate a $800-1,000 gun as "affordable".

Cheaper than that, in my opinion, falls below "affordable" and into "cheap".

Beyond CZ...

What's wrong with used?
Though not a regular item, hammer doubles show up at my LGS four to six times a year.
Most are shootable.

The rest were in a fire and are wall-hangers. (All the non-shooters have been burned... Apparently we need to address building code a little better here. )

Just last week, a nice Ithaca 12 ga full-full SxS showed up in pretty decent condition for $650.
Solid. Well-maintained. Shootable.
Not perfect. But perfectly usable.
And the price on them is only going to go up, where the price on a Stoeger, Cimarron, etc. will just hit the floor as soon as you buy it.
It would be in my safe if it had been a 16 ga. (Not enough room for another 12 ga. )
Old April 20, 2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Targa

The Cimarron looks good and is around $500, I believe it is Chinese made like the Century SxS.
I am probably going to save my dollars for the Turkish made CZ or like Frankenmauser said, look for something used.
Old April 20, 2017, 06:29 AM   #5
krimmie

Budget Double?

You didn't mention what the purpose will be, but if going used, the Russian Bailkal is made very strong, as was the Stevens 311

Last edited by krimmie; April 22, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:42 AM   #6
agtman

Quote:
You didn't mention what the purpose will be, but if going pac11-1039used, the Russian Bailkal is made very strong, as was the Stevens 311
I'd look somewhere like Gunbroker for used Stevens 311Hs. They were made in 12ga & 20ga. Not pretty but durable.

An uncle still has an old Stevens 311R, which was a factory-made 18" "riot" or "coach" double barrel. I think he got it back in the 1970s, and I recall reading somewhere that many PDs and rural sheriffs offices bought them. The 311Rs are likely collectors' items by now.

The 311Hs have something like 26" tubes for upland bird hunting, but one of those shouldn't be too difficult to cut down to "coach" length if you want it for cowboy-action use.
Old April 20, 2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Wyosmith

M12, what's your budget?
I have a friend with a few doubles to sell. He has a Stevens and an re-finished LC Smith and there was also an old Remington 1900 or 1894 (I can't remember which )
He was asking prices of about $550 to $800 depending on the gun.
If any of that is of interest to you PM me and I'll put you in touch with him
Old April 20, 2017, 01:27 PM   #8
Jimbo-Indy

Recently bought a Lefever Nitro Special (made by Ithaca) 12 ga. with 30" barrels, made in 1939 for $300 off an ad in a local gun blog. A few scratches but works well. It's really fun to shoot trap with. Choked Imp-mod/full. Extractors only and double triggers.
Seems like the old utility side by side doubles are coming out for sale now that over/unders are popular.
Old April 20, 2017, 05:26 PM   #9
FITASC

The CZ or Dickinson from Cabelas would be your best bet for new and inexpensive.
Used, you could look at older AyA made for Sears, or a used Ugartechea
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 20, 2017, 05:54 PM   #10
bamaranger

Stoeger?

The Stoeger Uplander seems a passable side by side, but I have no experience with them.

A couple of guys I know bought the Stoeger O/U for their kids as beginning trap guns, and they held up well enough till the kids either lost interest, or got involved enough to deserve a better gun.

My Baikal coach gun (20") is not well regulated, but good enough for down the bedroom hall.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:51 PM   #11
FITASC

A lot will also depend on the volume of usage.
Stoegers are not high usage guns, not noted for quality manufacturing for high use
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 20, 2017, 09:01 PM   #12
mulespurs

I looked for a double last fall

I wanted a Baikal but could not find one,
Settled for a stoeger uplander,double triggers and extracters in a 20.
Should have checked the trigger pull first, it's about 10 pounds on the front one, maybe 6 on the rear. Some rainy day I will have to fix that.
Still would have a place for a 26" 12 ga Baikal maybe with ejecters.
That "plonk" sound them ejecters make just makes me grin.
Old April 21, 2017, 02:25 PM   #13
agtman

Quote:
Recently bought a Lefever Nitro Special (made by Ithaca) 12 ga. with 30" barrels, made in 1939 for $300 off an ad in a local gun blog.* * *
If you want an Old School double, those Lefevers are really nice.
Old April 21, 2017, 03:38 PM   #14
jmr40

The Stevens 311's were cheap budget guns when new. They were designed for a lifetime of shooting for the guy who shot a couple of boxes of ammo per year. I've tried several, all were pretty well used up by the time I got them. Never owned one that didn't have issues.

I've tried several of the other budget doubles, if you don't have a $1000 budget you're better off buying a good pump or even semi-auto.

Winston Churchill
Old April 21, 2017, 04:27 PM   #15
shootbrownelk

A Fox/Stevens side by side is on my wish list for a long time, but in .410.
Old April 21, 2017, 04:53 PM   #16
Blindstitch

I saw one of those at Cabelas recently. 410 double barrels always make me laugh. Kind of wish I had one as a kid when 410 ammo was cheaper.

Currently have a Savage Fox BSE-c 12 gauge and if I could find a matching 20 gauge for a price that wasn't crazy I would buy it. Seen way to many for $600-1100. Mostly at Cabelas in different locations.
Old April 21, 2017, 05:49 PM   #17
Model12Win

Plan to use it for fun, just plinking and maybe home defense. I will not be hunting or clay target shooting with it. Budget of below $700.
Old April 21, 2017, 05:50 PM   #18
Minorcan

Look at Tristar they are a pretty good value and well made. Fit and finish are better than you would expect.
Old April 21, 2017, 06:13 PM   #19
turkeestalker

Quote:
That "plonk" sound them ejecters make just makes me grin.
Agreed
Old April 21, 2017, 06:49 PM   #20
Model12Win

Also should mention that I want something with parts support. If it breaks, I need to be able to have parts available either for myself or a gunsmith.
Old April 21, 2017, 06:52 PM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
and if I could find a matching 20 gauge for a price that wasn't crazy I would buy it. Seen way to many for $600-1100. Mostly at Cabelas in different locations.
And that is what they go for, and I wouldn't sell my 20 for anything less. Your price expectations are too low
Old April 21, 2017, 09:00 PM   #22
Blindstitch

Quote:
Your price expectations are too low
I'm not talking mint. Imagine throwing one into a cave of barb wire and leaving it to rust for at least a year. I have seen some high priced junk. But I have also seen a few in the $300 range. Of course they disappear quick.