The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old January 21, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1
GoldenRoyBoy

Thumbs down for coney_hatch

I hate doing this.

I bought a used 44 Mag. Dragoon recently; advertised for sale by coney_hatch. Link ---

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=329380

I took possession on Jan. 14, 2008. Immediately, I noticed my "it looks flawless" revolver was well flawed. I complained. Later, attempting to shoot the revolver I discovered the weapon also had a major timing problem.

Here is the "resolution" letter "Darwin L. Martinez, PhD wrote me.

Ron:
I will propose 3 options for this, and you can choose the one that best suits your needs.

I will refund you $25
Benefit of a refund via PayPal is you get the entire $25, not $25 – their 3.5% fee.

OR

We subtract my costs as outlined below ($100.63, which includes my shipping, handling, insurance and PayPal fees)
This leaves you the $324.37 ($425-$100.63), and
You ship gun at your expense to my FFL (Douglasville, GA)
They do accept shipments from non-FFLs
You ship ammo at your expense to me directly
You incur a 25% restocking fee, just like any other dealer would charge ($324.37*25%=$81.09)
You pay my FFL transfer fee ($30)
Any damage to gun deemed caused by you or your FFL will be subtracted accordingly
This means after I receive gun & ammo your net refund would only be at best $213.28 ($324.37-$81.09-$30)

OR

We leave the deal as is.

You can pick the option you would prefer. These are the only choices I’m willing to go with.

Now tell me, how do you like those options?
GRB

Last edited by GoldenRoyBoy; January 21, 2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Correction
Old January 30, 2009, 11:59 AM   #2
urbancafe

Is he from GA? I was talking to another guy on local forum with the same name, coney hatch. He told me that he would take some ammo from me and we needed to work out when and where. Now, he is just gone: does not return PM's and nothing...
Old January 30, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Yes, from the first post here, he is in Douglasville, GA.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
TEDDY

crook

call the AG in georgia and put in a complaint.his ffl means he is not a dealer.
who is his ffl contact him and state you are contacting the BATF and AG.see what happens.
Old February 22, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
poe2

The good Doctor has another handgun for sale in the classifieds as of this AM.

Also has it over at the High Road.

Last edited by poe2; February 22, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old February 24, 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
kirkcdl

Not necessarily a Mod-locked thread,on THR.org you're supposed to lock your own thread-"This will tell any future lookers that the item is no longer available or being sought."
Old February 25, 2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Then a mod locked the thread.
Nope, kirkcdl is right, coney_hatch closed the THR thread himself.
Old February 25, 2009, 11:54 AM   #8
TexasRedneck

He posted one up on a GA board, as well. Seems someone posted a link to his other dealings......
Old February 28, 2009, 09:12 AM   #9
pck823

I live next to Douglasville...I'll bet I know the FFL he uses. Here is GA there is another good online forum hosted by Geordia Outdoor News that I'll be looking for postings from this [sic] on....(htttp://forum.gon.com)

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; August 12, 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: skirting the language filter
Old February 28, 2009, 11:28 AM   #10
pat12

thank god I saw this,I almost bought a 1911 from him

thanks guys you saved me alot of cash
Old March 5, 2009, 11:11 AM   #11
monkeyboyrob
Registration in progress

the phd isn't necessarily bogus- could be in banking, or investment management.

oh wow, could that insinuation be construed as inflammatory, or defamatory?
i'd hate to get punted from the firing line so soon...

Last edited by monkeyboyrob; March 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old August 12, 2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Douglasvillega

A little harsh?

First of all, he gave you options.. In his eyes, nothing was wrong with the gun and Unless you are a gunsmith, how does anyone really know how perfect the Gun is? He probably thought the gun shot fine, looked fine, and had no issues. To beat him up here, and say all these things posted is a little excessive and un called for. In his eyes, he had a good gun, sold it, and now you are saying it has a timing issue.. How does anyone really know that what you say is accurate??? Should we check your college status as a possible excuse?

Also, to the other posters- to go into his PHD, and start in on that? Grasping for straws? What does the mans college degree have to do with wether or not this gun he sold has a timing issue or not?? I think again, thats very uncalled for. Its running the guys name through the mud just because you THINK something is wrong with the gun, and ACCUSE him of knowing about that prior to the sale and INTENTIALLY ripping you off.. which i find is not the case.

As a character witness, Darwin was a great guy who was a massive gun enthusiast. I think we are not getting the whole story here, AND it is being presented in a very onesided way.

Oh and by the way, I think I know why he is not online anymore... Darwin L Martinez Lost his life on June 9th 2009 leaving behind 3 kids. If you would like to leave your condolenses you can visit his memorial at http://www.heartfeltconnections.net/....aspx?id=22509

If you would like to see his online profile of education and tons of comments of what type of guy he was go to www.linkedin.com and do a search for darwin L martinez.

Have a great day guys, and do a little research before you start trashing someone in the future.
Old August 12, 2009, 07:04 PM   #13
digdeep74

I would be guessing here but .............

Im scratchin my head as to why a guy from douglassville GA.(just like coney hatch )would be so interested in defending a guy who is shady.
From my understanding coney hatch knew this gun was not timed correctly and still tried to sell it anyway.
As far as MR. MARTINEZ my condolences to his family.
Closed Thread