The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2001, 01:29 AM   #1
deanf

Looking to scope my Moss. 835

I've actually got the scope (Tasco Bantam 2.5x) I just need to get rings and mounts.

I know nothing about mounting optics. I'd rather not go into the gun store and tell them that I know nothing. I'd like to go in and say "I want such-and-such. Do you have it?"

The receiver is drilled and tapped. I'm just not sure what bases and rings to get that will fit the ensemble that I have.

I looked in my Brownell's catalog - couldn't find any bases made specifically for the Moss. 835. I'm thinking it must be drilled equivalent to some popular rifle.

Any ideas?
Old September 6, 2001, 06:27 PM   #2
DFBonnett

Your scope take 1" rings. Typically they will be most readily available to fit a weaver style base. I'm not familiar with the 835 so I don't know about a suitable base for it. You could go with a saddle mount . They usually take weaver rings. I have an Aimtech with low rings and 2.5 Leupold on an 870 and it is rock solid. Brownells has saddle mounts and 1" weaver rings.
FWIW
Old September 9, 2001, 12:03 PM   #3
Redlg155

You will need weaver top mount model 88A which is a one piece mount.

You can also verify this at http://www.weaveroptics.com/

If they don't have them available locally, Natchez has them for $4.95

http://www.natchezss.com/optics/webases2.html

If you want the B square brand, they are $12.25 for the Model 500. (Note...Part 88A is the same for Moss 500, 590 and 835 shotguns)

I believe your Bantam only has a 20mm objective so you can go with standard height scope rings and be fine. Ideally you want the scope mounted as close to the bore as possible, especially so since you are using a shotgun stock designed to place your eye low to the reciever. There are also companies that make a cheek pad to place over the stock to help raise your head and make scope shooting more comfortable.

Good Shooting
RED
Old October 8, 2001, 06:30 AM   #4
deanf

Thanks for the replies.

Well I tried to order from Natches. A $35 minimum order and a $10.76 shipping charge for two small items turned me off to them.

I tried to find the 88A at Brownell's. They only have the 88. I guess I will call them.