The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 23, 2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Hallenbeck

Remora IWB Holster: Surprise win

Hi all, this is my first official post. Glad I am able to access this site and join in

I recently started CC -- taking my class in January and getting my permit sometime in February. This past Christmas I received a Remora sticky holster and figured I would use this as a backup or just whenever I thought of it, as I planned to get a better holster -- most likely one with clips and such.

After a good bit of reading online sites and especially checking out some videos, I figured the aliengear 3.0 cloaktuck was the way to go. I ordered it on Presidents Day, Feb 15 and it arrived that Thursday Feb 18 (major points for speed -- I even added the J Clips).

I should mention I carry a S&W M&P 40c. That Saturday I actually attended the Bill Goodman Gun show at the fairgrounds here with my son, then headed to the mall and a few other places. I tried out the AG at my 430 and felt like every eye was on me, particulary as I sat to eat, since the grip was sticking out so bad. I realize most people probably don't even pay attention but I hate the thought of printing at all.

So the Remora holster (which has no clip btw), has been my primary go-to. I love being able to keep it in the console and grab-n-go whenever convenient. Last night I even had it in my gym shorts (appendix carry) and didnt have a problem.

I really wanted to love the AG holster and have decided to keep it as I may return to it someday. I honestly don't see how this style holster could be for me though. I also don't want to spend a fortune on holsters I will never use. One thing that really stuck out was how, at the 4:30, when I walk my 'cheek' (sorry) would cause the holster to move up and down some. I think adjusting the clips later that night helped, but I mean Really??? Does this happen with all holsters of this style?

Still figuring out all this CC stuff but I appreciate your feedback and thoughts.

Thanks in advance...
Old March 24, 2016, 04:29 PM   #2
turkeestalker

Quote:
I also don't want to spend a fortune on holsters I will never use.
Unfortunately that is how it tends to go for a CCW holder... sounds like you may've gotten lucky. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Old March 24, 2016, 11:59 PM   #3
drobs

I just can't get excited about soft nylon holsters and striker fired pistols. Looks like a recipe for disaster.

You need to protect that trigger.

This is about as minimalistic as I'd go for a holster:
http://raven-concealment-systems1.my...ter-basic-kit/
Old March 25, 2016, 02:19 AM   #4
JimmyR

Duplicate post
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.

Last edited by JimmyR; March 25, 2016 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old March 25, 2016, 02:20 AM   #5
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs
I just can't get excited about soft nylon holsters and striker fired pistols. Looks like a recipe for disaster.

Remora Holsters (and Sticky Holsters, of the same ilk) are not what I would call a "soft nylon." They hold their shape very well, and do a very good job protecting the trigger. I have owned a couple Stickys, and think they do wonderfully for smaller pistols, especially for someone who alternates between IWB and pocket carry.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old March 29, 2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Hallenbeck

Quote:

http://raven-concealment-systems1.my...ter-basic-kit/
That is one tiny holster! Seems almost like a trigger guard instead. I reckon it serves it's purpose though. I like having that extra bit of nylon plus it breaks the outline a bit more when I pocket carry

As for the trigger being covered, I got it covered -- see pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (228.8 KB, 38 views)
Old March 29, 2016, 05:09 PM   #7
Minorcan

I have a Desantis Nemesis and pocket carry my XDS 45 acp all the time in it. It is not flimsy at all and retains its shape very well even after a couple years. I have some IWB and OWB holsters but they are uncomfortable and/or print too much for me. You lucked out finding the right rig before spending a fortune on holsters! Alas , I was not and have a drawer full of almost new unused holsters. Enjoy what you have.
Old March 30, 2016, 10:58 PM   #8
drobs

Unless you carry chamber empty, Striker fired pistols with no external safeties need holsters of rigid leather or kydex that protects the trigger. Why you ask?

Here's why:
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/fi...al-discharges/

Warning graphic images:
http://concealednation.org/2016/02/w...-is-essential/
Old March 30, 2016, 11:17 PM   #9
Hallenbeck

Quote:
Unless you carry chamber empty, Striker fired pistols with no external safeties need holsters of rigid leather or kydex that protects the trigger. Why you ask?

Here's why:
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/fi...al-discharges/

Warning graphic images:
http://concealednation.org/2016/02/w...-is-essential/
Powerful articles there. Thanks for sharing.

The first one with the soft leather I had seen before. My holster just doesn't do this, but if it starts to get soft it's out.

The 2nd article brings to light something that applies to any holster: extra clothing and or material in or around is a disaster waiting to happen.

This, along with my son in the house and 'just cause' is why I carry locked but not loaded. I practice drawing and racking the slide to load a round constantly with reps and more reps.

I've had my gun at appendix while sitting with barrel pointed right at the "bottom of the elevator shaft" if you know what I mean and I know for certain if it was fired I would 'lose it all' , so I'm ok with not having a round chambered at all times. I do make exceptions but mostly just don't think it's worth it
Old May 12, 2016, 01:44 AM   #10
Glockstar .40

I got lots of holsters but my remora is my go to! Very simplistic and easy to grab and go. It fits my shield, glock 26 and Hk P30sk which is also a plus
Old June 8, 2016, 06:53 PM   #11
gargodude

I use a Remora for my Glock 26 wedged in between my front truck split bench seats for long drives. It stays put. The few times I forgot to put my carry holster on before I left the house, the Remora came in handy. Great holster for the money. I don't think I'll ever have an AD with it.
Old June 8, 2016, 09:48 PM   #12
K_Mac

I carry an SR9c in a tuckable Remora just about every day. On the days I don't carry the 9mm I carry an LCP, also in a Remora. The tuckable has a removable belt clip that is great with drawstring pants or shorts. I always carry AIWB, and if I wasn't confident that the trigger was safely covered I would use something else. I have tried others and always come back to the Remora.

Tags
aliengear , appendix , remora , smith & wesson m&p , sticky