The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 20, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Metal god

YHM quad rail tool ,no torque wrench hole

hey everybody . Im getting ready to install a YHM quad rail . My issue is , I bought the yhm tool for the rail . It has the spanner wrench for the barrel nut on one end . the other end has the wrench for the rail nut . What my problem is , it does not have anywhere to attach a torque wrench to it . There are two holes up by the head of the wrench . Is this where you are supposed to put a torque wrench adaptar . If so what is it called and where do I get it ?

I bought a AR15 multi tool first but the spanner wrench part does not fit the YHM barrel nut

On another note . Does the head spacing change when you put a new barrel nut on or have it torqued down to a different spec then it originally came at ?

Last edited by Metal god; July 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old July 21, 2012, 07:20 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Quote:
There are to be two holes up by the head of the wrench . Is this where you are supposed to put a torque wrench adaptar . If so what is it called and where do I get it ?

I bought a AR15 multi tool first but the spanner wrench part does not fit the YHM barrel nut
You must have bought the YHM-9621 tool and it does not have provisions for a torque wrench. Tighten the barrel nut lightly, then go to the next gas tube notch, you should be between 30 and 50lbsft of torque. It would be very difficult to go over 50lbsft with the YHM tool and normal strength.

Quote:
On another note . Does the head spacing change when you put a new barrel nut on or have it torqued down to a different spec then it originally came at ?
NO it does not. Head space with the AR is a function of the bolt and barrel extension.