The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 26, 2011, 05:00 AM   #26
BfloBill

I believe in teaching kids about guns to eliminate the dangrous combination of curiosity and ignorance. I taught my kids in stages:

1) Don't ever touch a gun and if you see one go get an adult. (I remember my Dad testing my kids when they were 3-5 yrs old by removing the bolt on a rifle and leaving it on the bed in the spare room to see if they would come tell us without touching it-they passed with flying colors)

2) When they start showing interest let them sit with you while cleaning firearms. They will ask questions, you can point out the parts and explain their functions, and in this environment it is easy to slip in the safety rules so they don't even realize they are getting lectured.

3) Go HEAVY on the safety rules in a more formal manner. The reward for paying attention was getting to shoot. At this point they are handling guns and shooting them with supervision. (And not just any schmuck who is an adult-be picky- mine could only shoot with my Dad, my Brother or Me)

4) Then at some point you deem them capable of going it alone because you know they are safe with firearms. (None of mine are at this stage yet)

As far as the handgun safety with toddlers the solution was simple: If it was not in the safe, it was on my hip. In my mind that is the only way to be sure to prevent a problem with toddlers around.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:04 AM   #27
40caljustice

My son is 2 years old and I have 3 pistols that are in our home. Its just he and I so I have to be on my toes and play it safe. I haven't got someone who can check behind me or fix a mistake I made like leaving my gun too low where he can climb and reach it. When I walk in my home I get him settled and put my edc g27 on a shelf next to my front door about 5 foot off the floor. Plenty far enough out his reach. My g23 normally stays close at hand thru the house. On the counter when cooking or arm rest when reclining etc.. I always know and keep my gun my first thought on my mind. Its a habit. When he gets up from playing toys I watch and keep gun safety my first thought. Its almost obsessive. At night my XDm is under my pillow. If I'm awakened it's my first thought. I'm sure I'll have to change my habits as he gets older and I will do it happily if it keeps my family safe.

He hasn't shown much interest yet. He is still young but when he does I want him to be as aware of firearms as I am. We recently had an incident where someone tried prying our basement door open while we were sleeping. We heard the ding of our door open alert system (not quite an alarm system but very effective nonetheless. I would recommend everyone have it on each door leading outside.). I grabbed my pillow pistol and cell because I immediately knew something was wrong. I went to his room and locked the door. I opened the window and yelled out that I was armed and had the police on the phone. I heard the perp jump the neighbors fence and I called the police.

Would 5-10 extra seconds changed the outcome of the situation? Probably not but maybe. Who knows. I apologize for getting a bit off topic but a real situation from a fella without a night safe. Heck I may be dumb for alot of reasons I don't see. It works for now. Just remember to keep gun safety 1st and always think the worst. Anything can happen with or without a safe. Kids are the darnedest things. Just my opinion.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:08 AM   #28
irish52084

We had a situation a little while back that really got my better half to realize that a gun you have to load or get out of the safe is not always the best idea. She had unloaded my nightstand gun when I was out because she didn't want to deal with securing it from our 2 kids. Only problem is, she didn't tell me. About 2:30 in the morning our dog starts barking in a very serious tone and then we hear someone trying to open one of our back doors. I get up grab the pistol, chamber check and, surprise, it's empty. I had to load the mag, 18 rounds, before checking it out.

I broke it down to her that an unloaded gun is basically useless if you need it right away. She agreed and we moved on. Keep in mind, this is not a woman afraid of guns or the idea of having to use one. She's gone out and check the garage or backyard with her own pistol before when I'm at work.

I think our dog was enough of a deterrent to whoever was trying to break in. He's a big, intimidating dog and I know I feel better with him around since I work nights.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:45 AM   #29
pgdion

Agreed Irish, dogs are the best. Mine is our #1 line of defense. He's a big sweet heart but doesn't like strangers, has a loud menacing bark when he's nervous, and dogs hear everything! He buys me the time to get the gun from the lock box.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:17 PM   #30
insolentshrew

Quote:
2. Demystify guns. if you're kids are old enough to understand, then you can tell them about the guns. When I"m cleaning my pistols/rifles, my daughter has questions and I answer them the same way I would any other question. I let her handle pieces like the barrel or magazine; I tell her the names of the parts and explain the mechanics. She doesn't get the mechanics so well.

3. Equate responsibility with using handguns/rifles. These are not toys and people can get very hurt by accident. "Once that bullet leaves the barrel, there's no calling it back." The first thing I did with my dad and his .22 rifle was break it down and clean it. Several times. Eventually, we got to shooting. This is a personal belief of mine, but if kids associate guns with chores and responsibilities, it's harder for them to see them as toys.
I was going to mention #2. A great thing is as others have said, give the children when they are old enough, the option to handle the guns whenever they want if they ask you. If you make it safe, and each time they handle it, go over safety rules, it helps remove the "want" of playing with them if they can do it with just a word. They will be less likely to seek it out on their own and hurt themselves.

I had never thought about the cleaning option, but that is a great idea. Right now my fiance's toddler wants to do whatever I do, so I don't do anything around him that he shouldnt be doing - because I know he is going to try and do it as well, because he saw me do it. So he doesn't so much as even get to see firearms yet, but when he gets older and hates doing chores, you better believe I am going to start making him help clean my guns
Old May 26, 2011, 02:11 PM   #31
irish52084

Cleaning the gun is a great time to teach kids about guns. They get to see how it works and that they have to be maintained. Our oldest is 6 and he loves anything mechanical, especially custom cars and trucks. As soon as he figured out that a gun is a machine, just like a car, he was curious. We sat him down with us and gave him a rundown of how everything works and what it does. He retained a little bit of it, and he knows the safety rules.

It's a step by step process. Just got him started shooting the bb gun, and a little later he can move on to a .22 rifle.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:34 PM   #32
Buzzcook

No matter how well you train your kids, you can't train their friends.

Keep guns and ammo locked up.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:13 AM   #33
FAS1

Quote:
My son is 2 years old and I have 3 pistols that are in our home. When I walk in my home I get him settled and put my edc g27 on a shelf next to my front door about 5 foot off the floor. Plenty far enough out his reach.
My experience is that a 2 to 3 year old can slide a dining room chair over to that area and then 5' isn't so high. I would reconsider where you keep your gun soon as his curiosity at that age will lead him into all kind of situations.

Quote:
I grabbed my pillow pistol and cell because I immediately knew something was wrong. Would 5-10 extra seconds changed the outcome of the situation? Probably not but maybe.
I move a lot when I sleep so no telling where my gun would end up or what direction it would be facing when I grabbed for it. I think it would take me longer to get it than from my handgun safe mounted to my bed frame. You could leave the door open at night if that made you more comfortable until you practice opening it in the dark. It's actually very quick by feel with a little practice. Also, the gun is holstered (trigger covered) and in the exact same place and orientation every time. Works well for me.

Old May 27, 2011, 09:33 AM   #34
kazanski612

Quote:
To keep little hand off things the weapon, I bought a small pistol safe, and mounted it to my nightstand. during waking hours, the pistol was locked away in the safe, with a full magazine, but empty chamber. The key to this small safe was either on my person or hanging from a hook about 8 feet up and 3 yards from the safe. After the child was asleep, I would put the key in the lock. After retiring for the night, the safe would be open with my pistol inside.
Your kid never wakes up in the middle of the night?

My next door neighbor had relatives town and his 2-year-old niece shot herself in the head with his nightstand gun. Thank God she survived, but she's obviously not the same.

IMO, putting your firearm up high or out of reach as the only means of safety is an invitation for disaster. Just like everything, it's a risk vs. reward decision. And the risk of an unlocked firearm resulting in tragedy is awfully high.

But since I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, I consider my safe the second most secure place for my firearm; the first being on my person.

Be safe.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old May 27, 2011, 09:35 AM   #35
Eghad

Nice safe FAS1. I have a friend who is looking at small gun safes and yours fits the bill I will send him your website.

My friend researched every small gun safe on the market and was not happy with them.

$189.00 may seem like a lot but looking at this product its cheaper than having your kids find you pistol and shooting themselves not to mention the ease of access with that mount.

NRA Life Member
Old May 27, 2011, 06:53 PM   #36
40caljustice

Those are some good points FAS1. Everyday that passes I can see his curiosities increase. I've thought long and hard, even since having replied to this post, on how to make things safer in our home. My pillow pistol stays in a holster that covers the trigger also and I pretty much stay still all night. Even taking these factors in count I realize I have to figure something else out. I'm just a little unsure if I like the idea of our possible lifeline locked in a safe. Ill have to take a look at them and see how I like bedside safes. Might be me just being paranoid. As for my gun by the front door on the 5 foot shelf. I've decided to get my carpenter neighbor to make an inconspicuous little safe. Maybe make it look like a clock. Something I can still pop open and retrieve my pistol if BG is knocking on the door. Does anyone know if they make something like this? It would be very difficult for him to slide a chair across the carpet. I can't do it I'm sure he can't. Though I see what you mean. If it was hardwood I'm sure he would have done it already. He pushes them all over the place already. I really thought my routine worked for me but after posting and rereading and reading others comments I have decided its time to change. Ill just keep my edc in the waistband until its nite nite time. Or maybe they make pajamas with in the waistband holsters? . Haha I'm kidding.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:17 PM   #37
irish52084

I made a clock safe when I was in junior high. I'm sure you can make one on your own if you have some wood working skills. If not, there's plenty of amateur wood working guys that can do some really nice work and might do it for pretty cheap. Try craigslist or something like that if you want one made.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:48 PM   #38
FAS1

Quote:
I have decided its time to change.
That's a good thing and I'm sure you'll figure out what will work best for you.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:41 AM   #39
dabo

Interesting thread! Thanks for the input, y'all! Grandbaby isn't yet 2 but there are some good ideas here!
Old May 28, 2011, 09:56 PM   #40
Dre_sa

Kazanski, I'm a very light sleeper, even the dog (miniature jack Russell) walking into the room would wake me up. We also had small bells on all of the doors to make noise, that way, I'd know exactly which door was moving and when.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:12 AM   #41
dabo

I like the bedside finger-tip combination safe when kids are in the house...
Old June 1, 2011, 05:00 PM   #42
coulter6

I have a GunVault. Easy to use and accessible under pressure.
Old June 1, 2011, 06:02 PM   #43
youngunz4life

I have a locked pelican case which holds the rifle and shotgun unloaded. I have an electronic, combination safe for all ammo and all my other firearms(handguns). I store the handguns loaded. I also have other stuff in there like brass knuckles from key west(technically legal since they have a notch to hook on a belt), handcuffs, stungun, pepperspray, knives, hearing protection, flashlight, matches, etc. There is no room in my safe at all anymore.
Old June 1, 2011, 08:56 PM   #44
kraigwy

I keep mine (S&W 642) in my pocket. Hard for any kids or anyone else to get a hold of it without me knowing.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 1, 2011, 09:17 PM   #45
Mr.Blue

I struggle with the original poster's question all of the time. I have a 4 year old daughter and over 30 guns. All of my guns, but 3 are stored unloaded in a secret room behind our closet that my child cannot access. You have to take off part of the wall-frame to access it.

Two of the loaded guns are stored in my nightstand and my wife's nightstand. Both guns are very hard to rack the slide and neither gun has a round in the chamber. I know many people discourage not keeping a round in the chamber with a HD gun, but I feel it is a good countermeasure against my daughter. My wife even has trouble racking my handgun's slide, but she has mastered hers. There is no way that my daughter could rack the slide if she happened to find the gun in our hidden nightstand drawers. My bedside gun also has both grip and trigger safeties.

The other gun is hidden in my library about 6ft. high behind books. This is a .357 revolver, so I really worry about this one. This room is off limits to her and has a child gate in front of it.

At this age, I am not so worried about it. In a few years, I will have to have the talk with her. At this point she knows they are dangerous and that no one touches them but daddy.

Last edited by Mr.Blue; June 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old June 2, 2011, 08:17 AM   #46
ConlawBloganon

I'm fortunate not to have to deal with having kids right now, but I imagine when I do, all my guns will be unloaded and/or locked up, and a single gun will be either on my body or in a quick-access safe, loaded because they don't shoot right unloaded.
Old June 2, 2011, 08:29 AM   #47
spacecoast

Quote:
As for my gun by the front door on the 5 foot shelf. I've decided to get my carpenter neighbor to make an inconspicuous little safe. Maybe make it look like a clock.
There's quite a selection available online, almost every gun-related site sells them too...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...clock+gun+safe
Old June 2, 2011, 08:56 AM   #48
kazanski612

Quote:
I struggle with the original poster's question all of the time. I have a 4 year old daughter and over 30 guns. All of my guns, but 3 are stored unloaded in a secret room behind our closet that my child cannot access. You have to take off part of the wall-frame to access it.

Two of the loaded guns are stored in my nightstand and my wife's nightstand. Both guns are very hard to rack the slide and neither gun has a round in the chamber. I know many people discourage not keeping a round in the chamber with a HD gun, but I feel it is a good countermeasure against my daughter. My wife even has trouble racking my handgun's slide, but she has mastered hers. There is no way that my daughter could rack the slide if she happened to find the gun in our hidden nightstand drawers. My bedside gun also has both grip and trigger safeties.

The other gun is hidden in my library about 6ft. high behind books. This is a .357 revolver, so I really worry about this one. This room is off limits to her and has a child gate in front of it.

At this age, I am not so worried about it. In a few years, I will have to have the talk with her. At this point she knows they are dangerous and that no one touches them but daddy.
I know that you're trying to keep your family safe by having firearms "at the ready" in case you need to stop an intruder, but I think you're being naive by assuming that a) your daughter could never rack a slide and b) that something 6' off the ground is out of reach.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Kids/kidstorage.aspx

Anything is reachable with enough motivation. Do your family a favor and lock 'em up. There are enough good safes out there that are fast + easy access that there's really no reason to use them, even in a nightstand.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old June 2, 2011, 10:46 AM   #49
triumph666

The biggest thing in having guns in the home around kids is to teach them at the earliest age how to Respect them...how to Handle them....how to Safely shoot them.....

My friend blew my friends brains out playing with a lever action 30/30 when we were 12.....his idiot dad never once taught him a damn thing about firearms....not even bb guns....

and when he (like all kids) went searching his parents room he found it buried in the closet and decided he wanted to show the cool cowboy rifle to my friend. when he operated the lever his finger was in the trigger guard and as soon as he closed action....a bullet went thru my friends chin and out the top of his head

DONT BE A FOOL.....DONT HIDE YOUR GUNS FROM YOUR KIDS.....TEACH THEM
Old June 2, 2011, 01:58 PM   #50
coyote_5

Quote:

My wife really doesn't want to have a self defense weapon in the house because she hears all the anecdotal stories of children harming themselves or others with guns they found. I can't help but think that the quoted above is very often how these situations happen...NEVER underestimate the determination of a curious child. Please safeguard those weapons. There are numerous options that allow quick access in self defense situations but also keep the pistol safely out of curious hands.