The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 9, 2009, 11:44 AM   #1
wftree

Can I buy guns at a city gun buyback

OK this may be stupid but

Can I stand outside a gun buy back location and buy guns???

I am sure this would be illegal for handguns but what about rifles and shotguns????
Old July 9, 2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see why it would be illegal, assuming all other aspects of the transaction are legal, such as you're not in a city that requires long guns to be registered or whatever.

I would assume that the buy back authorities would not be impressed with the idea, however.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:51 AM   #3
ninjatoth

I don't know any facts of that,but from my take on it,they buy them solely to destroy them,so my educated guess would tell me no.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I would assume that the buy back authorities would not be impressed with the idea, however.
A safe assumption, I think... I'd check my local loitering laws first.

And from what I've heard about the kinds of guns that get turned at these events -- why would you want to do this??
Old July 9, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
they buy them solely to destroy them,so my educated guess would tell me no.
Point being that they haven't bought them yet. You can buy a gun on the other side of the city on the same day, so why can't you buy a gun on the sidewalk out front on the same day?
Old July 9, 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
stargazer65

Quote:
And from what I've heard about the kinds of guns that get turned at these events -- why would you want to do this??
Yes, I've heard reports that most of the guns that are turned in are junk that is ready for the scrap heap. I imagine there probably are some exceptions, so I suppose you could get a good deal if you were really knowledgeable. Maybe you could end up lucky like the antique collector who stumbles on a tiffany lamp at a yard sale.

Quote:
I would agree as well. Of course, what's wrong with a little healthy competition as long as it's legal?
Old July 9, 2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

One of the features of these events is that they're "no-questions-asked" re: the source of the guns being turned in. But of course all the people who come to turn in guns will have paperwork for them, so you can be sure you're not buying a stolen one.
Old July 9, 2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Can you?

Probably.

Will the police hassle you? Definitely.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 9, 2009, 01:06 PM   #9
csmsss

I have heard thirdhand(but cannot confirm) that at some of these buybacks, LEO's cherrypick from the turn-ins for their personal use.
Old July 9, 2009, 03:13 PM   #10
ninjatoth

sorry,I didnt read your question thorough enough,I thought you meant buying from the cops.Well,yeah you could buy in front of there,but I wouldn't reccommend it because youd have to buy the case too without even taking the gun out to inspect it,or the cops would probably arrest you for branishing a firearm or something
Old July 9, 2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth
I wouldn't reccommend it because youd have to buy the case too without even taking the gun out to inspect it,or the cops would probably arrest you for branishing a firearm or something
A good point. And if you went somewhere more discreet, why, there you are in a nice private place... you've got the money... and you already know he's got one gun...

I think I'll pass.
Old July 9, 2009, 03:50 PM   #12
wftree

It just drives me crazy to see any good gun go to waste.

I am not sure I would have ever tried but wonder what people thought and especially if anyone ever tried it!
Old July 9, 2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Wagonman

That would be pretty cool. Maybe the GOA could arrange something and donate the guns bought to some kind of charity. I love civil disobedience. Sorta like the RKBA Equivalent of sitting at the lunch counter.
Old July 9, 2009, 07:13 PM   #14
teeroux

They would likely say you didn't have proper permits or whatever to do business in the street.
Old July 9, 2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You could just stand there holding a sign:

I'll pay you more for your rifles or shotguns than the buy back will. Call 555-1212
Old July 9, 2009, 07:23 PM   #16
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:

I'll pay you more for your rifles or shotguns than the buy back will. Call 555-1212
Now you're thinking!
Old July 9, 2009, 08:00 PM   #17
chemgirlie

On a side note I've always wanted to see somebody giving ballpark appraisals at one of those buybacks. Yeah, most are junk, but there have to be some people there who have something of decent quality and don't know that they're getting ripped off with their own tax dollars.

As for the potential loitering charges I suppose you could put the "call 555-xxxx for a fair market value sale of your firearms" on your car and park it right next to the buyback; Then you wouldn't be loitering.
Old July 9, 2009, 09:31 PM   #18
divemedic

At the last buy back in Orlando, there was a guy who turned in a pair of M1As. I bet those never saw the furnace.
Old July 10, 2009, 06:53 AM   #19
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Can you?

Probably.

Will the police hassle you? Definitely.
+1,000. If you attempt it, let us know how it goes.
Old July 10, 2009, 07:00 AM   #20
tmd11111

Quote:
Dude, quit giving everyone my phone number..
Old July 10, 2009, 03:05 PM   #21
Don P

Quote:

Quote:
Now you're thinking!
And when the coppers show up and start running serial #'s all the stolen ones will leave with them leaving you holding the perverbial dirty end of the stick!
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 10, 2009, 03:08 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And when the coppers show up and start running serial #'s all the stolen ones will leave with them leaving you holding the perverbial dirty end of the stick!
There is no requirement when buying long guns to verify their source. It's all back to that "reasonable person" sort of thing. If you have no reasonable reason to doubt the source then you may buy the gun. Requiring valid ID from anyone from whom you make a purchase would go a long way to protecting you.
Old July 11, 2009, 06:02 AM   #23
shaunpain

Here in Chicago where gun buybacks are anonymous, a joke, and worth a $50 pre-paid Mastercard, they melt those suckers down.

Amusingly enough, an artist made the front page here for requisitioning the paper weights and making some sort of sculpture out of it. A single tear streamed down my face.

FWIW, I am fairly positive most of the turn-ins here are dirty and personally I don't think I'd take the chance. The post about the M1s hurt to read. Why the hell would you DO THAT?!?!?
Old July 11, 2009, 08:57 AM   #24
Uncle Buck

I would love to hear the results of a competitive buy-back. Maybe a gun club could make a better offer on the same day and compete with the police.

My biggest concern would be the stolen firearms. I think the first stolen firearm you purchased would open a can of worms and you would not be buying anymore. When I ran an auto repair business (Cars, not guns) I would get more offers to trade the work for this gun or that gun. I picked up quite a few nice guns doing that. I also had the police chief check the guns to see if they had been stolen. Quite a few were. The town had a policy that they would go after the guy who sold, or traded me, the gun that turned out to be stolen. The police chief told them they would have to pay me for the work I had done, or they would be charged for that also. (Theft of services or something like that.) It was a pretty nice arrangement and he, the chief, would get to purchase what I did not want or need.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:20 PM   #25
armsmaster270

Wait until you see the gun you like approach the person and tell him to meet you at a gun shop for the transfer. then you are both in a safe invironment if the gun is not hot.