The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
barryhud

Lighter bullet for a 45 Black Hawk

I purchased some 175 gr swc made by Hunter's supply and loaded them with 6 gr of Trail Boss. I now find the 175 swc is designed for semi auto pistols and find nothing written about shooting them in my Black Hawk. Does anyone have any experience shooting the 175 swc in a Black hawk?
Old April 27, 2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

I don't have much experience along those lines, but a couple weeks ago one of my shooting buddies was trying out his new light 45 Colt loads and he let me have some of them to try out as well. I got all the pertinent parameters on them just for future reference, since they were really nice to shoot. I only shot 12 rounds with them, but the recoil was a lot more mild than my usual 45 Colt loads with 250 gr bullets.

Anyway, he was using 180 gr lead flat nose bullets. He had loaded up about 75 or so of them, using progressively higher charges of Trail Boss ranging from 6.0 gr to 7.2 gr. The ones he gave me to shoot were 6.2 gr and 6.4 gr in my Taurus Gaucho. He shot all the rest of his loads in his Blackhawk. Neither one of us had any problems at all. For me, the accuracy was just fine and the recoil was nice. He told me after his tests that he was most likely going to stick to the 6.4 gr powder charge.
Old April 27, 2009, 07:01 PM   #3
barryhud

175 swc

Thanks Doudlebugger 45, I had loaded 50 at 6.0 gr of Trailboss and another 50 at 6.5 ge. If it ever quits raining, I will check them out.