The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 28, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Wrothgar

Some questions about my new Mauser

I just got a Kar98 today, and I've got some questions. Mine looks a bit different than other pictures I've seen.

For example: What happened to the cleaning rod I've seen on other Mausers?

Secondly: I've noticed many shoulder straps are attached to a right that can pivot - why is mine static?

Thirdly: here is a pic of the whole thing, just because.

Its not very a good picture.

Finally, a question without a picture - I've found many of the German stamps on it (the eagle, 2 J's, etc), but what numbers mean what and where?

Thanks for any info and thanks for having me here!
Old January 28, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Darren007

Quote:
For example: What happened to the cleaning rod I've seen on other Mausers?
The Russians took them out and did who knows what with them. Probably melted them down. You can buy originals on Ebay for a hefty sum or you can buy repro cleaning rods from various sources on the net. They're not 100% correct, but for aesthetic purposes, they work.

I noticed in your pic you also have a groove under the fwd sight. That groove held a front sight hood, also a casualty of Russian imprisonment. Everything I said above about the cleaning rods applies to the the sight hoods as well.

Quote:
Secondly: I've noticed many shoulder straps are attached to a right that can pivot - why is mine static?
Because those were different Mauser Models. Dont worry...yours is correct for a K98.

Quote:
Finally, a question without a picture - I've found many of the German stamps on it (the eagle, 2 J's, etc), but what numbers mean what and where?
Need pic of stampings for specifics...but generally, the top of the receiver will have the manufacturers code and the year of manufacture below it. The eagles along the sides are "Waffenampts" or inspection stamps. The numbers below those indicate the factory where the inspector worked and as such, where that piece was manufactured, with some slight exceptions.

Post pics of the stampings and we can tell you the specifics.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Wrothgar

So its a Russian capture? Those are still fine and good, right? It looks like its in great shape (not perfect, but it works just fine). The wood and metal are all damage free.

I just picked this up at a local gun shop. I'd researched Kar's and Mosin's and this one seemed to be the favorite between the two.

Oh, and if they took the cleaning rod, then what is that thing underneath the barrel? It looks like something to slide a bayonet on.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Darren007

Quote:
So its a Russian capture? Those are still fine and good, right? It looks like its in great shape (not perfect, but it works just fine). The wood and metal are all damage free.
Yep...and yep. Nothing wrong with a RC. Its still a Mauser K98 in every way shape or form. It just doesnt have matching serial numbers.

Having said that. While the prices on RCs have gone up in recent years...matching, all original K98s will always be more valuable.

Quote:
Oh, and if they took the cleaning rod, then what is that thing underneath the barrel? It looks like something to slide a bayonet on.
Bingo!!! its a bayo lug.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Wrothgar

Cool. Thanks for the help! Knowing that its an RC I'm not going to bother finding out where all the different parts are from since they probably won't match. Also, I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything about reproduction cleaning rods. Anyway, this thing is for shooting and fun and, since I'm a history major and a social studies teacher, its always fun owning history.
Now I just gotta take care of it!

Last edited by Wrothgar; January 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old January 28, 2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Darren007

Quote:
Also, I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything about reproduction cleaning rods.
Here ya go...just in case your still interested.

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/14_76
Old January 29, 2009, 01:12 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Minor nit-pick: The WaA number was assigned to the head of the Army inspection team, not to the factory. Most of the assignments seem to have been long-term, but they did change from time to time as the officer was reassigned. (In reality, as in US plants, the actual inspection and application of the stamps was done by factory employees, though military personnel supervised the inspection process and spot checked.)

Jim
Old January 29, 2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Vergeltung

Wrothgar; enjoy your new Mauser! I have one too, and they are great fun to shoot. I find cleaning is fun as well, but, I might be in the minority in that regard. search the forums for great info on ammo, and maintenance as well. I have a few threads about inexpensive ammo and manuals that I have found.

good luck!!
Old January 29, 2009, 02:53 PM   #9
jsmaye

Also try www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm for the cleaning rods. They can also supply the front sight hood that yours is apparently missing.
Old January 31, 2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Wrothgar

I just went 3 pages back to look for some info about cleaning and maintenance and couldn't really find any. Can you guys get me some links?

Also, I'm curious about the finish on mine. It's got what looks like a dull and dark finish as seen in the pictures. I don't think it has any cosmoline on it (not that I would know what it looks like). What would be a good product to just clean the wood with? As in, to keep it moisturized and to prevent it from drying out and warping.

Further, the most pressing thing I need to find out is how to take the magazine out so I can clean and oil it and all that good stuff.

Last edited by Wrothgar; January 31, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old February 1, 2009, 06:58 AM   #11
JT-AR-MG42

Magazine floorplate removal

To remove it, use a non marring punch ( or the tip of a cartridge, it was designed for one ) and push in against the spring pressure on the 'hole' at the rear of the floorplate. At the same time, pull the punch toward the triggerguard - to the rear - and floorplate with the spring and follower should be free.
To re-assemble, center the floorplate up, push down on the whole of it and push forward. You'll hear it click into place.
It will be much easier the second time after you have all the grease out of it.
As to shooting it, remember that almost ALL imported 8mm has a corrosive primer. No problem, just remember to use several patches and brush strokes of HOT, soapy water after regular cleaning and before oiling. Bore and bolt face.
As to value, RC's are becoming more collectible, especially the more rare production codes. It is interesting how much AC's ( American captures ) have risen when one considers that roughly seven in ten of the so-called bringbacks are actually pre-68 imports.
Oh well, who can predict market trends. Certainly not my mutual fund manager!
Good luck with it, and enjoy your freedom to own it! JT
Old February 1, 2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Wrothgar

Wait, even modern import ammo has corrosive primer? Gah! I bought new ammo and not old surplus stuff with the express purpose of not having to deal with that. Prvi Partizan or something like that, it was Serbian I think. Anyone know anything about it?

What about the Remington hunting ammo? Its more expensive but worth it.

Edit: I found the website for the ammo. What say you guys?

Last edited by Wrothgar; February 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old February 1, 2009, 01:32 PM   #13
JT-AR-MG42

Privi Partisan?

Wroth,
I don't know about that stuff. I would imagine it is advertised as non corrosive and probably true. All U.S. ammo made in the last fourty years is non corrosive. I was refering to the military surplus on the market.
I have quite a bit of all of them, Yugo, Turk, Romanian, and Portugese. I use war2 corrosive bore cleaner for them with no problems. The only 'problem' with it is the smell. It is VERY invasive and lingering. I only clean with it in the garage, NEVER in the house, putting all the patches and newspaper for spills in a plastic bag.
Okay now, what's the code and date on the receiver ring?
JT
Old February 1, 2009, 02:14 PM   #14
Wrothgar

Alright, I don't know that much about photography, but I did my best. Plus, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "receiver ring".

I couldn't get too up close or else it got fuzzy.
Old February 1, 2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Tidewater_Kid

Wrothgar,

Nice rifle! Modern Prvi Partizan is non-corrosive. I shoot lots of corrosive ammo in my rifles and it's no big deal. A several squirts of water or windex down the barrel and on the bolt face and clean as normal. Here's a good site for taking it apart and putting it back together.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

TK
Old February 2, 2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Vergeltung

yeah, I shoot tons of the corrosive stuff, and it's not a problem, just make sure to clean well right after range time. the new ammo, Prvi Partizan, Remminton, Sellier & Bellot, are all non-corrosive. which is good. it's just really expensive compared to the MilSurp stuff you can get.

I save the new stuff for the hunting trips I have planned for the future.

Oh, one tip from me; make sure to but a nice copper solvent as well, to go along with the goodies in whatever cleaning kit you buy. I thought I had a clean bore until I treated it with that stuff (as per the directions on the bottle; Hoppe's is the one I bought).

Also, most of the cleaning kits you buy have cleaning rods in 3 pieces. I bought a nice (kind of expensive) one piece one from CheaperThanDirt. it won't bend or flex, and it spins nicely as it travels the bore with the cleaing swatches. oh, also, make sure to get the cotton cleaning swatches, not the synthetic ones. they do a nicer job.

no one told me this stuff, I just kind of discovered it as I went along. you'll make your own discoveries as well, I am sure. I had some similar questions as you, and I think my thread was entitled "Linseed Oil for my Mauser furniture?"

Last edited by Vergeltung; February 2, 2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: schpellink
Old February 2, 2009, 08:56 PM   #17
Wrothgar

V, I saw your thread, but I don't know what the finish is on mine.
Old February 3, 2009, 08:58 AM   #18
Vergeltung

I hear ya. FWIW. yours looks to be a walnut stock, but I would trust the experts for a final call on that. does it have a distinctive smell or anything?

I got a better idea on mine when it was real hot from firing.
Old February 3, 2009, 07:53 PM   #19
Wrothgar

I called the place I bought it from and they didn't know either. It is most likely NOT laminated. I would have to smell some other things to find out what it smells like, I don't really know how to describe it. It just sounds like wood treatment to me :-).
Old February 3, 2009, 08:36 PM   #20
Milspec

Nice rifle...

As a military history buff I like the Russian capture rifles better than "unissued" rifles captured at the depots at the end of the war. The RC Mauser rifles (and other military use weapons) have both a national and personal history that earns them a special respect (only 5% of their former owners returned home alive). I'm fortunate to be able to continue the history...which is why I never modify or refinish my C&R weapons...

Milspec

Colonel Bill Jordan
Old February 3, 2009, 10:40 PM   #21
Wrothgar

Would Old English (furniture polish) be a bad idea? Again, I just want to preserve the wood, not refinish.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:12 AM   #22
Vergeltung

read through my Linseed oil thread for some suggestions from the guys here. I think I remember Tung oil as one of suggestions. when I first got mine, it smelled like Neatsfoot oil; that oil I used to put on my baseball mitt as a kid when it was new and I wnated to break it in.

FWIW, I would not use a product like Old English.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:53 PM   #23
Wrothgar

That's the problem, I don't know what it smells like. Where would I find "Neatsfoot" or "linseed" oil?
Old February 5, 2009, 10:53 AM   #24
Vergeltung

I got boiled linseed oil and an accomnanying solvent (think as paint is to paint thinner), at my local Mom & Pop hardware store. neatsfoot oil, AFAIK, is to treat leather not wood. I was just using that as an example of what my rifle smelled like.

I am sure there must be something for wood treatment that smells like neatsfoot oil, what it is, I don't know.
Old February 6, 2009, 10:23 PM   #25
Wrothgar

What about tung oil?

And I just bought a new Mosin Nagant for 100 bucks at the range. Century arms refurb. Its got cosmoline all over it. Should I just use plain old gun solvent?