The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 31, 2008, 06:24 PM   #1
alans49

RCBS Colt 45 Cowboy Dies?

I'm just getting into loading 45 long colt and I bought the RCBS Cowboy Dies. The thing I noticed is that the sizing die is sizing the cases down to
.470. According to my books the outside case diameter should be .480. I tried calling RCBS support line today but it was like they had the phone off the hook. I must have dialed at least 25 times and kept getting a busy signal.
Should these dies be sizing the case down that much?

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year

Alan
Old December 31, 2008, 06:48 PM   #2
long rider

OK lets get things together here , when you say cowboy dies
you mean rcbs 45 colt 3 set dies? is that what you mean,
45 colt is 45 colt at hand gun cases , i have a 45 colt set
dies so lets go from there.
Old December 31, 2008, 07:02 PM   #3
arcticap

Apparently they're sizing the cases to the correct size since RCBS Cowboy Dies are described as being different:

Quote:

RCBS Cowboy Action Dies

Cowboy Dies

Cowboy Action Shooting is just about the fastest growing shooting sport around. Not only are the usual competition traits of speed and accuracy required, but the shooter must recreate the spirit of the 1880s. Guns, ammo and costumes must fit the period. Jacketed bullets aren't permitted by Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS™) rules. Making ammo that fits the Old West image means loading lead bullets. It also means that the bullets must be designed to work properly in lever-action rifles and single-action revolvers. Loading dies must be optimized for lead bullets. That's where the new RCBS Cowboy dies and bullet moulds come in.
Our Cowboy dies are built to slightly different dimensions than our regular dies to allow optimum sizing, expanding, seating and crimping needed to load great lead bullet ammo. In keeping with the spirit of the game, Cowboy dies even look different. Instead of the satin steel finish on the other RCBS dies, Cowboy dies have a "case-hardened" look. Handsome brass lock rings complete the picture, and even the packaging reflects the Cowboy theme. New Cowboy moulds produce bullets that are profiled to give smooth feeding and follow the design of a century ago. Beveled crimping grooves set the proper cartridge length and improve consistency, and generous lube grooves hold enough lubricant even for black powder loads. Whether you're a serious cowboy competitor or just having fun, RCBS Cowboy products will load the ammo you need.

http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/rcbs_cowboy_dies.htm

Last edited by arcticap; December 31, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old December 31, 2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Wleoff

I've used RCBS and RCBS Cowboy dies to reload 45 Colt for SASS for years. I just checked some of my finished rounds and they measure .470" on the case with bullet diameter of .452. Never had any problems. Which loading manuals show .480?

The cowboy dies come in a tan paper box where the regular RCBS dies come in the green plastic case. They're all (RCBS 45 Colt) three die sets.
Old December 31, 2008, 07:14 PM   #5
long rider

To the last post, in other words 45 COLT, i load down for
my 45s and have done for years with good results, just
a lot of fancy terms for what adds up to the same thing,
and ill bet you pay a arn and a leg for the so called
cowboy dies.
Old December 31, 2008, 07:16 PM   #6
long rider

WLEOFF you got there before me. the post
before you.