The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 17, 2008, 11:40 PM   #1
RedneckFur

New Remington 700 SPS .308

I bought myself a Christmas gift last night. A Remington 700SPS varmiter in .308win. I'm fairly new to the .308 round (I've shot a few borrowed savages, but never owned a .308 previously) and I'm also new to Remington rifles.

I was just wondering if there are any other 700 SPS owners out there and what you guys think of the rifle. Mine has a 26" barrel, but most information i see on the .308 is for a 20" barrel. Is 20" the ideal barrel length?

I will post pictures of the rifle once the scope is mounted. For glass, I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40 (I won it in a .22lr benchrest shoot) The scope might be overkill, but i'll probably keep it on the lower end.

Also, if any of you more experienced shooters have an .308 or Remington wisdom to share, I'm willing to learn.
Old December 18, 2008, 12:09 AM   #2
JonnyReb

I just picked up the 700 in the VTR format, .308. Have to say i love it.

Accurate, great action, i like where the safety is, attractive in its own way. Great gun. Bet you'll love yours just as much...

I think .308 is known for acheiving most of its velocity in fairly short barrels but if you hand load you can make use of that long tube. You'll appreciate the round as its all you need it to be, without beating you to death..

J.R.

Also Redneck, check out how smooth the barrel is. I was amazed that i've gotten so little copper and filings during break in. A bore light does it true justice. It looked to already be lapped. Cleaning it is as easy as any i've ever scrubbed on.

Last edited by JonnyReb; December 18, 2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old December 18, 2008, 01:26 AM   #3
Jimro

Don't worry about the 26" tube on your Rem, the 308 has been known to be accurate out of tubes ranging from 16 to 30 inches.

How far out do you intend to shoot?

Jimro
Old December 18, 2008, 01:40 AM   #4
freakintoguns

im jealous Redneck! thats the rifle i wnt albeit in left hand witha 50 mm scope, i prefer the wider FOV. good huntin to ya man
Old December 18, 2008, 07:40 AM   #5
540mope

congrats on your purchase!!!!
a .308 700 is next on my want list...i'll have one after Christmas
Old December 18, 2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Fremmer

Congrats on the new rifle, and love the caliber!!!

I'm not sure whether there is an ideal length. Some like the shorter barrel for ease of handling and stiffness. Others prefer a longer barrel for velocity. Either will work just fine. Stated otherwise, you bought a Remington .308. It'll probably be hella-accurate, regardless of barrel length. Concentrate of finding the load it likes.
Old December 19, 2008, 02:26 AM   #7
PaperPuncher

Remington 700 SPS-V .308 with leupold base/rings and leupold VX-L 3.5-10x56?

Good choice with the R700. Solid action, good looking rifle. I was only able to squeeze off a box and a half of ammo through it. When it comes to accuracy, the rifle does its part. I chose the scope because it sits way low against the barrel. Due to poor foresight and a tight budget at the time, I didn't shoot as many rounds as I wanted. If at all possible, take this sweet little peice out to a range with 200yrds and let it work. Only thing I plan on doing is possibly bedding it in a McMillan stock and adjusting the trigger down for lighter pull. Also, the barrel in the varmint rifle does tend to heat up unless you pace yourself with the shots. I can't wait to get back and push the range out and compete with my friends (possible dueling tree at longer ranges.)
Old December 19, 2008, 05:15 PM   #8
RedneckFur

Thanks for the comments!

As promised, here's a pic!

The scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40, and the bipod is an immation harris ( doesnt have the brand written on it)
Old December 19, 2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Your getting serious this Christmas. Nothing like buying it yourself instead of relying on Santa to maybe make a mistake.

That gun is going to shoot great for you I do believe. I had a rig sort of like that with the same type of scope but a 6x24. It was a Remington 700 Sendero stainless fluted barrel 25-06. It was a very good shooter from the get go.
Old December 19, 2008, 07:49 PM   #10
223 shooter

The stock on that SPS is just like the one that was on my .223 SPS. I also used to own a 700VS and a 700P , both .308s - very good shooting rifles. I am really pleased with my SPS. Let us know how it shoots.

I also own a Bushnell Elite 4200 6X-24X - long scope but nice optics!
Old December 19, 2008, 10:55 PM   #11
nimbleVagrant

That's a good looking rifle.

I've got the same model in .223 and it shoots very well. The only thing I disliked was the plastic stock. A Bell and Carlson varmint stock with an aluminum block was a definite improvement. Which isn't to say the factory stock is bad, just wasn't my preference.
Old December 19, 2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Swampghost

I'm soooo jealous! That is one cal. that I don't have. Looking forward to range reports. MERRY CHRISTMAS!