The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2006, 10:14 AM   #1
dgc940

Need advice please. C.O.A.L 22-250

I' quit new at this and load for hunting and not after that 1 hole group However I would like to have 1 moa at 100. my first loads were The Barnes trx 53 grn I checked my chamber and it is 2.526 to the rifling and Barnes wanted .50 to start from the rifling so I loaded Varget and started in the middle at 33grn's and set col to 2.476 First of all they dont fit the mag. well and second it sounded like a pop gun compared to fac-loads but it did shoot MOA I have some sierra's and they say set col to 2.320 and my fac load win's are 2.326. what if I set the trx's to 2.400 and go with it or even 2.380? should I stay at 33grn's of Varget or load Min. and work up? wont setting the bullet deeper change my pressure on the 33 grn's? Like I say I'm after a good 1MOA at 100 for Hog control. Is Barnes just saying .50 off the rifling trying for the ultimint in 1 hole accuracy?

Let's Please dont start on the 22-250 is too small for hogs On this thread
Just need loading help Pleasssse.
Old October 24, 2006, 11:39 AM   #2
rwilson452

22-250 reloading

I have never had any luck with barnes bullets. I use Sierra. For OAL I would suggest you start with spec. and move out ( longer) in .005 steps. either you will find a sweet spot or they will no longer fit in your mag. If it's the latter you deside of you want to turn your rifle into a single shot or not. For a 55 gr bullet I would suggest 35.0 gr of IMR 4895 for a start. I have found in my rifle max loads are not as accurate is something a bit lighter. If you can't find a sweet spot start over by with different powder charge start light and work up in .3 gr steps. Usually one charge will work better. then go back to messing with OAL. I have found my best load in a 55gr sierra HPBT was 39.0 gr of H380.
Finding the best load is still trial and error and there are no shortcuts.
Old October 24, 2006, 04:09 PM   #3
amamnn

I'm with dg on bullet selection for this application. You might check into Nosler/Winchester Combined Technology bullets, too.
If you ask the techs at any bullet maker they will tell you that the published COL is a suggestion, not an order. The seating that works best for your gun, your powder, and your application is for you to determine. They give you their best COL as a starting point.