The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 9, 2006, 08:51 PM   #1
Dwight55

Need 2 guns for 2 ladies

OK, guys, . . . some of you have SO's that carry, . . . two ladies in our family will be as soon as they finish their CCW classes and get licensed.

Today they shot my .38 snubby, . . . .380 Bersa, . . . both .22 Brownings, . . . Ruger 9mm, . . . and Springer .45ACP. They didn't like any of them.

They're my guns, . . . and fit my hands, . . . but not theirs. What have you guys found that your SO's carry, . . . that they like enough to take with them when they leave the house?

Ladies, . . . what do you like in a "small handed" handgun for pocket or purse?

Thanks ahead of time for all your help.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 9, 2006, 09:04 PM   #2
PinnedAndRecessed

I'd take them to the largest gun store in your area and let them "try on" everything available. Then when they find something that "feels" good, start from there.

What would be even better is if you could take them to a store that rented the guns.
Old September 9, 2006, 09:05 PM   #3
atlctyslkr

Maybe it's not the gun it's the grips. My wife didn't like the gun I gave her at first but when she got to pick out new grips that changed everything.
Old September 9, 2006, 09:31 PM   #4
skeeter1

Let them pick out their own

My dad had a Smith K-22 Masterpiece, which is certainly a top model, but I just didn't like it myself. I went and found a couple of j-frames which fit my hands better. My newest is a Beretta Cheetah, which happens to fit "my hand" just right.

If someone were to give me a VW Beetle, the first thing I would do is sell it. I've gotten too used to my big old Oldsmobile.

Let them pick out whichever suits tham best. The only advice I'll give you is to find a shop with a large selection, and let them pick their own out.

You'll thank me for this advice somewhere down the road.
Old September 9, 2006, 09:55 PM   #5
pax

Dwight ~

First, swing by my site, www.corneredcat.com , and check out everything in the "for the men" section. Then go read the article titled, "Trying on a Handgun" and discuss it with your ladies.

Done? Good.

Some guns they might want to try:

Kahr 9mm -- metal for pleasant shooting, polymer for carrying.

Glock 26 (9mm)

Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact

S&W 3-inch "Chief's Special" (J Frame). Rubberized grips.

HK P2000SK, with LEM trigger, and the smaller grip panels installed.

HTH.

pax
Old September 10, 2006, 07:01 AM   #6
BigV

My wife recently received her CCW license and we have been shooting for about 6 months (my guns) and here’s her reaction to each one.
Kimber .45 – Too much felt recoil, didn’t feel comfortable.
Kimber .40 – Shoots great, accurate, but can’t pull the slide back easily.
Walther PPK/S – Stings hands when firing, slide too stiff can’t pull it back.
S&W Model 60, .38 – Shoots easy, not much recoil, but grips are too small.

After shooting these guns she decided she liked the .40 the best, but had trouble pulling the slide back and didn’t feel comfortable fieldstripping, or clearing a malfunction (should one occur), so she opted for the S&W model 60. We changed out the grips so they would fit her hands better and she loves the gun.

I have been working with her for some time now with the Kimber .40 and she can field strip the gun quickly and reassemble it. She has also been working to strengthen her right hand (she’s left handed) and can now rack the slide without any problem. It looks as though she will be carrying the .40 before long.
My wife and I also checked out pax website. If you haven’t been there, you should check it out. There is some very informative and useful information there. I found it on another forum a few weeks ago.
Old September 10, 2006, 08:44 AM   #7
tegemu

No one knows more about women and guns than PAX, do what she tells you.
Old September 10, 2006, 09:03 AM   #8
dead-eye-ked

Try a Sig

Let them try a P232, if not that, maybe a Walther, or S&W .32 even, I have bigger hands so I like a 4" .357, or P226 myself, but a .380 should work ok..
Old September 10, 2006, 10:14 AM   #9
springmom

Listen to Pax.

FWIW, I would have thought that the snubbie or the Bersa would have worked. However, you might go to the gun store and let them handle a LadySmith because those grips are tiny (for me). A LadySmith, whether snubbie or not, is going to be concealable and grippable for smaller hands.

Hope that helps.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 10, 2006, 10:33 AM   #10
22-rimfire

Let them choose their own. They shot yours and now have a idea of how much recoil there is from each and how they handle. Choice depends are how they plan on carrying and how they feel in their hands.

If I made a suggestion, it would be wrong. Guns for carry are different than the guns you shoot for enjoyment. Get them some 22's that they like to shoot.
Old September 10, 2006, 11:27 AM   #11
Para Bellum

Glock 19. Best all-around handgun IMHO.
Old September 10, 2006, 02:38 PM   #12
smince

My wife is petite and shot many different kinds of handguns until she found one that "fit" her. She finally settled on the (now-discontinued) Colt .380 Gov't Model. I know it is a mere .380, but her carry load is Cor-bon HP's.

It is a gun she likes and practices with, so she is VERY GOOD with it.

She can and does shoot my Colt Defender and Glock 30, but her EDC is the .380.
Old September 10, 2006, 04:03 PM   #13
springmom

There is no one answer that any of us here can give...ultimately it is going to be up to the ladies themselves.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun

Last edited by springmom; September 11, 2006 at 12:08 AM. Reason: I was too cranky in the original post
Old September 10, 2006, 05:26 PM   #14
brett30030

I have a 9mm and a 380, but i am going to have to see the ladies first
Old September 10, 2006, 06:52 PM   #15
tony pasley

Take them to find what fits them a carry gun is personal and has to fit the person carring. You picking out her carry gun is about as good as you going to the store and buying her uh Shoes. Just be glad she shooting and wanting to carry.
Old September 10, 2006, 10:28 PM   #16
Vic303

Personally I carry a CCO 1911. My alternate is a Taurus 605 in .357 2" snubbie. They work & fit ME. I love my Ruger GP100,but it is not a ccw pistol for me. Too much cylinder bulk.

I recommend you take them to a range that rents pistols. Let them try anything & everything that looks good to them. Yeah, it's gonna cost a bunch of $$ just to rent a bunch of stuff, but if you take them together, both women can try each pistol out at the same time, thus effectively halving the total rental cost.
Old September 11, 2006, 02:33 AM   #17
Qwiks draw

Quick note here. Go to www.nra.org and go to the training or womens areas. There should be classes for women only a few times a year in many localities.These are taught by certified,caring and dignified instructors.As I,ve posted elsewhere,the female contigent in my family all went to the 2 classes in firearms and got to shoot a wide variety of guns in a relaxed atmosphere. One does not have to be a member of the NRA to join the class. All the ladies now shoot in competion and own their own pistols.The women also went to various shooting meets and local shooters let them sample a wide variety of revolvers and pistols for a few shots.So with all the other outstanding advice given so far and more to come,good luck.
Old September 13, 2006, 01:34 PM   #18
reils49

I think a Taurus model PT132 is a sweet little gun. I would get one for my wife if she was interested in getting a CCW. Buts really about what they feel comfortable shooting and what you can afford.