The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2005, 12:17 PM   #1
cgpro856

Dies for .223

I'm trying to load some Hornady 40 gr. V-Max bullets for my .223, but my Lee dies will only seat the bullet to a col of 2.24". To get .22 intot he case I need a col of 2.14". Is the .12 seating ok or do I need a different die? If so What die will work best? I dont want to order a new die and have the same problem.

Thanks
Chris P.
Old April 16, 2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Whiskey Tango

My lee .223 die set doesn't give me that problem at all...
Old April 16, 2005, 07:00 PM   #3
Zekewolf

Try the Lee seater die that comes with the collet die set; won't crimp. Will seat to shorter o.a.l.
Old April 18, 2005, 08:37 PM   #4
Bob - S.C.

cgpro865, without knowing your needs or desires for accuracy I would offer this information. I shoot for accuracy, and after a lot of research, I decided on the RCBS competition die set for my 5.56 NATO (.223) rifles. Other mfg. also offer similiar types of dies sets, but I my personal preference was RCBS. The bullet seating die has a micrometer seating die head and you can set it for any depth you desire. The bullets are loaded into the die fron a side window on top of a floating bullet seater which makes loading a small bullet very easy and precise. Much better than trying to balance the small bullet on the top of a cartridge and hope it is seated correctly. If you are shooting 40 grain bullets, you will certainly find differences between brands due to the shape and length of the bullet. Even within the same brand, you will find slight differences in bullet length but for the most part, you can seat to .001". Should you decide to change bullet weight or brand, the die can be very easily adjusted to accomodate different bullet shape and length. I also decided on the Hornady LNL bushing adptor which makes changing dies as easy as a one second time frame going from sizing/decaping to bullet seating die without changing any die dementions. Depending on which AR I am loading for, I use Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra bullets and can easily reset the micormeter head to accomodate each brand. No mistake, these competition die sets are not cheap, but if you want consistancy from your reloading, I think they are worth the extra money. Hope this helps.
Old April 21, 2005, 05:24 PM   #5
cheygriz

I'll second the RCBS advice. Or even better, IMHO, a good set of Redding competition dies with the micrometer adjustable seater.
Old April 22, 2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Tim R

I would agree with Bob and Cheygriz to a point. The Redding match seating die will not seat compressed loads for very long before bending. I went with the Hornaday match bushing die and the Forster match seating die for about the same money as the RCBS and have a better set up. The Forster match seating die by the way is bullet proof. Don't get me wrong I believe RCBS makes great dies. As I look around the bench most of the boxes are RCBS green or gray.