The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 24, 2001, 08:29 PM   #1
Redneck2

Need help with old Winchester

Need info on an 1873. It was made in 1891. .44-40 with octagon barrel. It was custom ingraved by the Winchester factory. Gun is in nearly NIB condition, maybe 95-98%. It has not been refinished....letter of authenticity from the curator of the Winchester museum.

How do I really find out what it's worth??? It's going up for sale. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old November 24, 2001, 10:32 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

I think you have need for an appraisor. Be sure to check any appraisor's bonifides. Also, according to Fjestad, check that letter for possible forgery or fake. They are out there.

Sam
Old November 24, 2001, 10:51 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I agree. Get a copy of The Gun Report or Arms and the Man and check out some of the appraisers. Many auction houses offer an appraisal service even if you are not going to sell the item. Of course, this costs money, but if as described we are talking at least 10-15k, maybe lots more, so an appraisal is well worth it. Also, write Winchester, send them a copy of the previous letter and get another letter; that will verify that the previous letter is correct. (Or that it is not.)

Jim
Old November 25, 2001, 10:55 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

What a cool thought Jim......get a letter authenticating the existing letter. Nice touch.

Sam
Old November 25, 2001, 08:55 PM   #5
Redneck2

The letter is authentic...

I know the guy that's selling the gun. He sent to Winchester himself and got the letter 'cause he wanted to be real sure what he had.

He needs $16,000 out of the gun. After I posted this, I looked on GunsAmerica and out of 200 in that category there were maybe 2 that brought that kind of money. He seems to think it could bring $20,000 + but if so I'm not seeing it.

I guess my question should be, is there a dealer that I could go to that would (a) really tell me what it's worth and then (b) sell on consignment???

I'm not going to pay a couple hundred dollars to find out it's not worth messing with. I'm SURE not going to give 16K for something that may be worth 1/3 of that. Haven't done anything that stupid since marrying my ex-wife.

Thanks for all the input so far. Appreciate the help.
Old November 26, 2001, 04:17 AM   #6
BADSBSNF81

You need a professional appraisal. I find it hard to believe that the guy who owns it hasn't had it appraised (unless that's where the figure of 16K you mentioned came from). If it has been appraised, ask to see it. High end, special order Winchesters are a world of their own.