The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 22, 2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Edknn

MOA 3 VS 5

My Bushnell TRS 25 self destructed on it's 2nd range visit,approx 500 rounds fired between the 2 trips. The setting nob fell off while shooting the rifle. Midway USA has offered a refund as they are out of stock and when I called Bushnell, they were out also. They offered to do an even exchange for a TRS 32. My question is, will a jump from 3 MOA to 5 MOA make much difference at 100 yard or less ranges. I am new to these so I don't know if the 2 extra inches at 100 yards matter that much. I have read that the 5 MOA will offer quicker site acquisition at closer range. Any one have experience with the TRS 32? If I purchase the 25 elsewhere, it will cost about $40 more than I paid at Midway. For now, the sight is used on a 9mm carbine so 100 yards is the max distance I need it for.
Old June 23, 2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

Have never used a 5 moa red dot so can't say for sure.

I am guessing (well calculating) that you better be shooting a a pretty big target if you use 5 moa. 5 moa at 100 yds equals 5 inches, so your dot will be covering a circle of 5" diameter at the 100 yard mark. To me, that is quite a bit different than the 3 moa dot.

To get an idea for yourself, draw a circle (using a compass) with a 3 inch diameter on a piece of paper. Now, using the same center of the circle, draw another circle with a 5 inch diameter. Hopefully this will help you in deciding.
Old June 23, 2016, 08:35 PM   #3
HiBC

So your dot would be roughly the size of a clay pigeon at 100 yds.

It will be the size of a tangerine at 50 yds.OK for pop cans at 50 yds

Size of a key lime at 25 yds.

Pretty fast and easy to acquire.I do not know what kind of shooting you do with a 9mm carbine.

It would be your preference.
Old June 24, 2016, 08:31 AM   #4
brasscollector

How accurate has the rifle proven to be? If the rifle doesn't shoot any better than 5MOA I'd say it's a wash.
Old June 24, 2016, 01:07 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...much difference at 100 yard or less..." A 3 MOA dot will completely cover the entire black of a standard sighting in target at 100 yards. A 5 MOA will very nearly completely cover an entire 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper at 100.
3 and 5 MOA red dots are really shotgun sights.
"...the size of a tangerine at 50 yds..." Big tangerines where you are. snicker.
Old June 24, 2016, 01:38 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I think the 5 moa is good for 8" plates and larger at 100 yards. For 6" bull's eyes and smaller targets, you want the 3 moa version.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 24, 2016, 11:51 PM   #7
Edknn

The rifle was shooting bullseys at 100 yards with the trs 25 moa 3. I ended up finding a trs25 at a great price and Bushnell is sending the stock hirise mount for free. Got my 3 MOA sight and actually came out $20 ahead. Life is good.
Old June 25, 2016, 12:26 PM   #8
HiBC

T Oheir,apparently you are ill informed about what "MOA" means.

Technically,it is an angle of 1/60th of a degree.That happens to work out to be just a bit over 1 inch at 100 yds.

5 MOA would cover 5 inches at 100 yards.

Your statement that a 5 MOA dot would cover an 8 1/2 x 11 inch target paper at 100 yards is incorrect.

A 5 MOA dot at 50yds will displace approx. 2 1/2 inches. For the purpose at hand,to give the OP an idea of what he would be looking at,I'm close enough.

Your attempt to ridicule my statement suggesting a tangerine may represent a 5 MOA dot at 50 yds is a backfire.

Many of the handgun shooters using optics in competition prefer 7 or 8 minute dots

As I said,I have no idea how the OP uses his 9mm carbine.

Of the folks who own and shoot 9mm carbines,it would be interesting to learn how many shoot 3 in bullseyes at 100 yds versus tearing up cans and water jugs at 25 to50 yds.

Which returns me to my initial recommendation.Its simply the OP's preference,based on what he likes to do.

He mentions a max range of 100 yds.

If his target is an E-silhouette and he is shooting for COM hits at speed,and if the 100 yd targets are a "sometimes" thing,a 5 MOA dot might be fine.

Last edited by HiBC; June 28, 2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old June 28, 2016, 08:39 AM   #9
rpseraph

Get the refund, wait, buy the 3 MOA. Or... wait a little longer, save some more, and buy a Holosun
Old June 28, 2016, 10:12 AM   #10
qrz

For fast acquisition of silhouette targets in closer proximity, I like a physically small optic w/ a larger moa rating further out on the rail (ie quad or otherwise). Using both eyes open, the larger dot stands out better and on brighter lighting, it doesn't disappear (may have to mnodify a small sun screen if yours does). Using a smaller dot further out helps on target shooting a bit. If the smaller dot is closer to the eye, the ned for making a figure 8 out of the target dot and the led dot, or some other manipulation is necessary. Placing the dot further out and turning the brightness down a bit, makes the optic appear smaller a bit to the eye (at least it seems so for these older eyes) which means I can use the dot quicker and not play figure 8. This is just my opinion for me and my eyes and the type shooting I do.