The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 5, 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
red96ta

new vs old flasks...

So I need a flask.

Sure, I could get a modern reproduction but found a nice one (no dents or dings) at a local antique store for a smidge more that the replicas...should I even consider the antique flasks as a viable option or at this point are they a nice antiquity for display only? If it IS a viable option, what should I be looking for in order to make it reliable?
Old August 5, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2
pohill

Are you sure that the one at the antique store is old? I bought one at an antique store that I was positive was very old, but it wasn't. I paid about what a repro was worth.
Old August 5, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Pahoo

I like "Old-School"

I really can't or won't fault old flasks as far as usage. I will say that they are more prone to leak (breath) than new CVA gate valve type flasks. Older metal flasks are also more easily dented. For teaching, I use and older "sealed" flask and horn. For hunting, I use a more modern flask. One is a CVA tube with push-botton valve and the other is the TC clear view (plastic) again, with push-botton valve. If you like it, buy it, seal it and use it. If it's old and collectable, just keep it on the shelf .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 5, 2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Hawg

If you're talking about a cheap modern flask, you're wasting your money. As for using an antique flask I wouldn't use one for heavy use because it will get dented sooner or later. Pohill brings up a good point. Just because it's in an antique shop doesn't mean it's an antique.
Old August 5, 2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Pahoo

In the eye of the beholder !!!

I collect as well as resell powder flasks & horns. There are some exotics but seldom run into any that would be considered as antiques. You really have to pay attention to the valving and spout areas. In additon, I also make my own horns and pan chargers. Can you tell us what you see as some are pistol flasks and others are rifle shotgun flasks. .....

Again, if you like the look of it, buy it !! .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 5, 2012, 06:07 PM   #6
pohill

While trying to research the "antique" flask that I bought, I learned that flasks are one of the most faked gun items out there.
I read that original flasks had steel screws holding the top on, and the repros have brass screws.
Old August 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

To answer the original question . . . you can use an antique flask. However, as hawg points out, you run the risk of damage to it over time. On the new ones, (I'm talking replicas of originals - not the CVS brass tube type) I've never been real happy with the tolerances of the gate as some of them allow for leakage in a hunting bag. It all depends on the quality of the flask though. If you go with a higher quality repro flask - such as a Dixon, (at least the ones that I've seen) the fit of the gate, etc. isn't too bad.

I had a number of both original horns and flasks that I picked up over the years that i liquidated several years ago. I had two original tasks that I used quite often - one was brass and the other zinc Both were tight and had tight valves. I was just careful in using them and didn't carry them when I was hunting. I also used several original horns - "day horns" that probably dated to the late 1800s to the early 1900s.

The zinc flask that I used that was original I picked up in the very early 60s. There weren't a whole lot of repros at that time - not like today. I chuckle when I see some of the listings on flea bay for "original antique flasks" which are obviously modern made replicas. As much as I hate to say it, I've always thought that things of this sort ought to be marked "replica" in some manner in a inconspicuous spot.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 5, 2012, 08:18 PM   #8
red96ta

Pohill is right, I haven't checked to make sure that it's a vintage model at all. The only thing that I DO know is that it is a colt pattern pistol flask....it looks like it has a natural brass patina on it. It doesn't look like a Pedersoli flask that looks like a forced patina with varnish over it.

I might go back and check out the flask this weekend and see if I can get additional details on it.
Old August 6, 2012, 07:21 AM   #9
pohill

My antique flask. It's small, made for a .31 revolver. The patina is too smooth and too even for it to be old. No dents, and brass screws. It's nice but it's not old. As a bonus, it was filled with FFFG powder, something the store owner did not know.

Old August 6, 2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Mk VII

The spout thread (M10 x 1.0 on the modern Italian repros) may not be compatible with old flasks.