The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2012, 09:42 AM   #1
oldguy870

870 Express MIM extractor - ever seen one fail?

I have been shooting my 870 Express for a year now. Everyone says to upgrade the extractor to the milled version. The logic is that it is cheap insurance. I would be interested to know if anyone has first hand experience seeing a MIM extractor fail?

Bonus question - people also say to upgrade the carrier dog follower spring. The idea is that the heavier duty one makes the gun more reliable. Has anyone ever had a feeding failure due to the standard express follower spring?
Old May 18, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No and no.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3
NYCShooter

As I previously posted to this question in another forum:

"Nope, I have never seen an 870 Express stock MIM extractor fail, and issues relating to the carrier dog follower spring are rare. However, I always upgrade both because the cost and time involved in doing so are minimal (the spring costs about $4 and the extractor about $12). Interestingly, Remington charges the same for either carrier dog follower spring, so you have to wonder why they just don't use the heavier spring (used in the Police) in the Express. The answer, of course, is marketing. BTW, I also always upgrade the magazine spring to a heavy-duty Wolff spring ($8.99)."
Old May 23, 2012, 11:09 PM   #4
oldguy870

I just ordered the heavier duty dog carrier springs for my 870s. I think I will keep the MIM extractor for now.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:19 AM   #5
.300 Weatherby Mag

I've had one that consistently slipped off the rim and left spent rounds in the chamber... Replaced that one and never had another problem.. I've never seen one break...
Old May 24, 2012, 01:12 AM   #6
LockedBreech

Hm. I have an 870 Express Tactical and never knew those parts were MIM.
Old May 24, 2012, 03:12 AM   #7
bamaranger

carrier dog spring

My outfit bought a number (a dozen or so) of 870's that were not "police " guns, but were not marked "wingmaster " or "Express" guns either. Seems like they were simply marked "Magnum" w/ parkerized finished.

This would have been about 20 years , back, say early '90's. About half of those guns developed feed problems, the fresh round not being elevated enoough to reliably hit the champer mouth, this problem solved by installing a new dog spring. The remaider of the guns got new springs before probs developed.

I hear and see discussion indicating that the std dog spring has been eliminated and all the dog springs are HD. I dunno, but our guns run better now with new springs, installed in the past couple of years.

My 30 yr old Wingmaster is getting a bit finicky, and sluggish lifting shells to the chamber mouth. I am considering a dog spring for it too.