The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 20, 2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Waist band or shoulder holsters

When I get my revolver, I keep finding myself imagining using a shoulder holster. They seem they'd conceal a 4" more easily and seem more comfortable, too.

So, what are the relative advantages of these two styles?
Old October 20, 2011, 06:46 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

For me, verticle shoulder is nice for all-day carry because going back and forth between sitting and standing isn't a problem. (I can't make any sense out of the horizontal ones.) The downside of shoulder for me is that it's not perfect for hot weather because I need to cover it with a sportcoat or jacket OR wear it inside a button shirt (where it's not quick-accessible). But for cool weather it's nice.

Finding and adjusting the RIGHT vertical shoulder holster was a long project for me... They all have a lot of subtle differences which are only revealed in the wearing. Finding the RIGHT ONE was worth the trouble for me. (Interestingly, the best one for me is a very inexpensive one, so... It's kinda hard to generalize on the subject... For me, it took a lot of experimentation.)

My other frequent carry method is IWB appendix covered by an untucked shirt. What's nice about that is that it's very easily removed/replaced if I'm going in and out of the house a lot. Downside is it's not great for sitting a lot(with a 4-inch barrel).
Old October 20, 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
zucchi

Keep it simple and the rest will work itself out.

The shoulder rig offers accessibility while standing or sitting. Waistband holsters don't allow for easy access while you're sitting down unless it's a cross-draw configuration.

As for comfort, like James said, it will take experimentation to find and adjust a rig that will match your body and your needs.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:21 AM   #4
pgdion

Hey there Pond,
Vertical shoulder holster is the nicest rig of all to wear. The down side as mentioned is you have to pretty much wear a jacket over it. IWB on the other hand can be covered with a loose shirt, OWB with a larger/looser shirt.

I like shoulder holster for cool weather (and knowing I won't be taking my jacket off anytime that day), otherwise I like IWB in the center of the back. I have a left hand holster so I can draw from the center with my right hand. This is the only place I find comfortable to carry at (and it conceals well).

Best plan on getting at least 2 holsters, pretty much everyone says you'll have a box full before long (although I still only have 3 myself).
Old October 20, 2011, 10:55 AM   #5
MLeake

Waistband holsters aren't necessarily a challenge for seated draw. As noted, crossdraw is one option. However, a strongside, 3:30-4:00 position, 15degree FBI cant allows for a decent seated draw.

A shoulder holster that fits well is ok; one that doesn't fit as well, at least in my case, results in tension headaches from the base of the neck up to mid-scalp.

With either waistband or shoulder carry, I recommend a rig that places spare magazines on the opposite side for a counter-balance.

See if you have any friends or acquaintances who might let you try their rigs, before you buy. Holsters, at least the good ones, can result in a lot of money spent, quickly. Unfortunately, holsters don't tend to hold much resale value, so lots of trial and error gets expensive.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Hmm...

Biggest problem here is that there is a limited market, they are over priced. Pretty much the same issues I had with getting my gun! The only cheaper alternative is to order from the States.

None of those are conducive to getting it wrong over and over!!

A shoulder holster seems the easiest to live with, but failing that a IWB clip holster would have to do!!
Old October 21, 2011, 08:32 AM   #7
zucchi

What's your life worth? (rhetorical)

I find it difficult to wrap my mind around how most folks will spend upwards of $700.00 for a quality, reliable carry gun then balk at spending more than $40 on the holster.

The holster doesn't just replace your pocket as a place to carry your gun, it serves several functions; it keeps you gun securely in place (retention), and, most importantly, allows for easy access and draw when needed.

Regardless of what gun you have, if your holster isn't made for that gun and doesn't do what you need it to do, you may as well not bother carrying. Holsters are almost as personal as shoes. Like CWKahrFan said, you will need to try on a few before you will find just the right rig(s).
Old October 21, 2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Stressfire

I use waistband, myself, for everyday carry of my 3-3.5 inch barrel autos. IWB most often. Conceals fine, I think, if not, no one has told me yet.

Quote:
reliable carry gun then balk at spending more than $40 on the holster.
I would really like to spend more on a holster than the Blackhawk I have, hard part is finding one that will both fit the gun and accommodate the tactical rail - gets hooked on the lower lip of every holster that is "supposed to fit"