The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 14, 2008, 02:43 AM   #1
GLP Standard

Maglight Rechargeable or Streamlight SL-20X?

Which does everyone prefer? If you have used/owned both, and you can give your input that would be best, but if you only have used one or the other, whats your opinion on whichever one you used?

Reason I ask is because Im asking for a new flashlight for my birthday. Ive wanted to pick up the SL-20X for awhile now, but never got around to it. There is an Army surplus store in my parents town in North Carolina, and they saw a Mag Charger for $95 brand new in there. It comes with AC and DC chargers, and my parents asked me how I felt about it. Ive never used the Mag Charger, but I have a 3 D cell maglight which ive used for a long time now, and I like the build of it. I know the Streamlight SL-20X is pretty popular among Law Enforcement.

Which does everyone prefer? What are the pros and cons of each? If I got the Streamlight, I would be getting it from Quartermaster for $129, and right now they have a special where you can get a smaller Streamlight pocketsize flashlight ($20 value) for free if you order any Streamlight over $70.
Old September 14, 2008, 09:59 AM   #2
bcarver

Ultra stinger

Unless you are going to use it for more than an hour between chargers I would get the ultra stinger. It is a rechargeable C size however the bulbs are fragile.
Otherwise Streamlight 20x I carried a 35x for 12 years until going to the Ultra.
I now use the 20x because it was issued. If the Magcharger was issued I would use the ultra.

The beam is prefocused. Brighter. Tougher. I had several Maglights before converting to Streamlight. I would send two or three back for service. Usually the switch.
Old September 14, 2008, 01:05 PM   #3
GLP Standard

1 for the streamlight. Anyone else have an opinion?

I think you answered this, but between the Mag Charger and the SL-20X, which light is brighter, and has a farther throw? I think the Mag Charger has a higher PBC and Lumen output than the SL-20X, but that might not mean anything... opinions?
Old September 14, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
sholling

The LAPD inspired Pelican 7060 LED. I have one and it's a great like for $110.

Last edited by sholling; September 14, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old September 14, 2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Phlip

I have a couple of rechargeable Maglites. One of them is about 20 years old. I have never had a problem with them. The old one spent most of it's time on duty with me. It has lived a hard life.

I started carrying a Streamlight Stinger a few years ago. I have no complaints with it.

This year, I finally bought a Surefire 6P. I now own several Surefires. The streamlights and the Maglites don't get used now.

I would suggest you get a Surefire 6P or a clone and then get an aftermarket led drop-in and some rechargeable batteries.
Old September 15, 2008, 06:59 AM   #6
ckd

Having had both, I'm very partial to the Streamlight aluminium, much larger and tactile switch, can be used in sub-freezing tempuratures with gloved hands, unlike the Maglite (granted years ago and may have changed). Never saw a failure with a Streamlight switch, many with the Maglites, also a rain entry point. Always found the beam of the Streamlights superior to the the Mags.

As mentioned, many departments prohibt the large cell metal lights, seen by many administrators as a metal bat (some went to plastic version), and the current generation LED CR123a battery are nearly as bright, some even brighter, than the big bats, take up obviously take up less space and weigh less. That said, there is nothing as enjoyable as a large metal flashlight to push open, lift up, as an extension of one's arm, and provide blinding light when needed.

Being right handed, I always hold a flashlight with my left, with the larger light, tailcap end rested on the shoulder, while the hand was at the neck taper, allowing for easy switch manipulation, and with the flick of the wrist, bringing the end forward to use as a push pole or baton strike.

30 years of nights found that all lights will fail or get dislodged at the worst moment, so I've carried three lights, all on the left, primary in hand (largest), secondary on belt with a tatical switch, bezel down, and a third, small backup flashlight (now an E1b) with assist blade in the left front pocket.