The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 29, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1
countryboywithgun

Hanging around

I want to know if it is ok to keep a bp revolver stored in a leather holster. any issue keeping 45LC in the conversion cylinder in it too for home protection. From what i have read about bp on this forum, if it is kept loaded it should be changed or fired every couple of weeks or so correct? Of course always out of reach of children and or under lock and key!
Old January 29, 2008, 11:19 PM   #2
robhof

robhof

It depends on the gun and the powder, for storage. I've kept my Ruger Old Army loaded with 777 for at least a year with no corrosion or any other problem and I've read of actual black powder loads stored for years; but I would worry about actual B/p because it will absorb moisture from the air like a sponge and become a corrosive mess.
Old January 29, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3
mykeal

Quote:
I've read of actual black powder loads stored for years; but I would worry about actual B/p because it will absorb moisture from the air like a sponge and become a corrosive mess.
????
If you've read about actual black powder loads stored for years, why are you worried about them turning into a corrosive mess? That seems a contradiction.

Real black powder is mildly hygroscopic. Black powder combustion products are much more so, and it is these combustion products that cause the 'corrosive mess'. Unless exposed to a very high humidity environment real black powder should be safe to keep loaded for long periods of time.
Old January 30, 2008, 04:31 AM   #4
Hawg

I found an original 58 Remington in an old barn once. All six chambers were loaded and it had obviously been in there for many, many years. I pulled the balls and the powder was fine. Also the insides of the chambers looked better than the rest of the gun. There was a story in the local newspaper back in the 70's about a farmer that found a Civil War Springfield barrel buried on his property. He thought it would be just the thing to fix a broken gate hinge with. he stuck the breech in his forge and the .58 minie ball took the top of his head off. I've got several guns that live in leather holsters. Most people frown on it but I haven't seen any reason not to.
Old January 30, 2008, 08:03 AM   #5
grymster2007

I keep my 58 Remmy in the garage, with conversion cylinder installed. The weather around here is pretty mild, so I just check her often and keep her lubed up with olive oil. It has the cylinder notches, but I just keep 5 in it.

I've been reading a thread about the possible legal consequences of using handloads in a SD situation. I wonder if the prosecutor does things differently when a homeowner dispatches a BG with a SA replica using BP, rather than a Glock or a Sig?

I guess he could show the jury your gun and claim that you're a lawless cowboy and shootin' up a rival comes natural to you.
Old January 30, 2008, 09:11 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't keep it in long term storage in leather. Leather retains moisture and will cause your gun to rust. As for the powder, that depends on well sealed the powder is in the cylinder. Black powder can be kept for over a hundred years and still retain its explosive property.
Old January 30, 2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Pahoo

1) Pulled a Sabot on a M/L rifle that had been loaded with Pyrodex, which still contains sulphur, for about six years. The gun showed no signs or rust or damage. The pyrodex ignited just fine with a match. Even the Sobot looked clean. I would not recommend this but it's done. Keep in mind that most of the nasty stuff happens on ignition. Some chemists have stated that the chemical reaction is complex and the results, is the creation of "Salts". From here, you can do the math.

2) I am a leather crafter and some leathers are tanned with acid. You will often hear the term "Acid Tanned". Regarless, for many reasons, you should not keep any gun stored in Leather with little attention. Would also include cases lined with "Sheerling" wool material.

Be safe !!!
Old January 30, 2008, 01:55 PM   #8
darrentxs

On a side note, many western style holster have bullet loops. Storing rounds with brass cases in them usually ends up turning them green with, I think its called vertigris. Not recmmended. Perhaps nickle plated rounds will be ok, I've not tried it.