The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 1999, 03:00 AM   #1
jbyrd

I am reloading military brass and I have a question that I have to ask. I am using a primer pocket reamer by hand on once fired 223 military crimped brass. When I have finished the primer pocket appears to be a little off center but the primers seat nice and tight. I'm using 25 grains of IMR 4064 with a 55 grain FMJ BT.
What kind of problems could I encounter? Any major safety concerns? Is there a better way to remove the crimp?
Any comments would sure be appreciated.
Old December 4, 1999, 08:08 AM   #2
Fred S

Hi:

I use a Dillon Super Swager to remove crimps. Its works well and uniform. It is a bit ob the expensive side, but quality tools are quality tools.

I think you might be risking poorly seated primers. You may get a high primer someday or maybe one may fall out. When reloading high power cartridges you should be ensuring everything is done right. if it doesn't look or seem right, it probably isn't.

Take care.

Fred
Old December 4, 1999, 09:02 PM   #3
GreybeardB

jbyrd,

Your load sounds OK but, an off center primer pocket ? Hmmmmmmm .

Do you have a hand drill..... or better yet a drill press ?

Use a "military" type decaping die to keep from breaking pins, then use about a 1/4 in. drill bit in youre drill press to remove the crimp.

You may have to alter the bit's cutting angle slightly on a grinding stone, but it will take out a three point pinch or rolled type crimp..... it will not make your primer pocket off center.

You need only to remove the crimped metal, be careful not to remove any part of the pocket wall.

Youre only reason for this tedious operation it to alow a new primer to ENTER the pocket freely.

OPEN OR OUT

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old December 4, 1999, 09:11 PM   #4
swifter...

I had a lot of success removing the crimp by using a case-mouth deburring tool. Which end is pretty obvious, just be sure to not cut too much. It seems to be self-centering, too...

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old December 5, 1999, 05:14 PM   #5
Joefo

Get a regular cutter from Lyman or others that fits in a power screw driver. They work real nice and only cut the crimp. I think they are around 6 bucks.

Joefo
Old December 6, 1999, 11:37 PM   #6
jbyrd

Thanks guys for the info. I think I understand the crimp a little better now. It seems like I am removing the crimp from one side of the pocket. I thought the crimp extended the full length of the pocket. Not so apparently. Again thanks.

------------------
"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason