The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 23, 2019, 09:21 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

3inch Revolver Bed Side Companion – Bump In The Night

choosing from these two, which would be your trusty bed side companion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLpAEuCaYrw

Choices are Kimber K6S DA/SA and S&W Model 65 Highly tuned

Stay tuned for a review and comparison

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; May 27, 2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old May 23, 2019, 09:38 PM   #2
KyJim

I have a 4-inch barreled Model 65 I keep loaded and stashed in my walkout basement/living area. I also recently purchased the new Model 19 Carry Comp with three inch barrel. So, my preference would be the SW, even with a bobbed hammer. I haven't shot the K-6, but the triggers on the couple I fondled underwhelmed me, especially after all the raves I read about it. Maybe it just needed some rounds through it.
Old May 23, 2019, 09:49 PM   #3
ThomasT

Both great choices but as a loyal S&W man I would go with the model 65. Besides I have a 65 with 4" barrel and its a smooth operator.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:05 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I recently put my 3 inch Model 36 back in my safe and replaced it with my S&W 411 in .40.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old May 24, 2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Mr.RevolverGuy

Mike your 411 have nights sights? Haven't seen a 411 in a long time.
Old May 24, 2019, 05:52 AM   #6
mk70ss

My bedside companion (besides the 12 gauge pump in the corner) is a 3 inch Charter Bulldog Classic .44 Special.
Old May 24, 2019, 06:15 AM   #7
dontcatchmany

I have a 686+ 3" being shipped to my local FFL as we speak.

I also have a Kimber K6S 2" in the safe.

Also in the safe is a S&W 627 Pro. 4" 8 shots and a SP101 2.25" as well as a S&W 629 4" 44 magnum.

Of the 5 (have not shot the 686 yet) the Kimber would not, as yet, be a bedside gun. I for some reason just can not shoot it and definitely not in 357 magnum. I am working on the grips to absorb the recoil of 357 magnum. Put it on a bench rest yesterday and had very tight groups from 10 yards, but without the bench rest I am all over the place and even +p 38 special is a tad much for me. It is a well made revolver though. Just too much recoil as witnessed by a number of owners on Kimbertalk.

The Ruger and the S&Ws are very accurate and tame the recoil very well.

I plan to carry the 3" 686+ if it proves to be as good as my other S&Ws.
Old May 24, 2019, 06:18 AM   #8
mk70ss

I also have a 3 inch 686 Plus. great revolvers. They are fairly heavy for EDC. Get a good gun belt and a good, sturdy holster.
Old May 25, 2019, 06:49 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Mike your 411 have nights sights? Haven't seen a 411 in a long time. "

Nope. Stock sights.

It's actually marked as a Model 410, but I just call it a 411 (same gun, really) because of the confusion of people thinking I have one of those ugly .410 shotshell revolvers.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 25, 2019, 07:03 AM   #10
Mr.RevolverGuy

I know exactly which one you are talking about. My wife's first LEO pistol was a 411. Most people do not know that there actually was a 411 until the weapon assault ban which reduced magazine capacity down to 10 rounds it was then rebranded the S&W 410. My wife was a really confident in it and shot really well with it then they swapped to the Glock22 she eventually warmed up to the glock but took a lot of practicing for her to gain her confidence back.

I asked about night sights because I like them for home defense and I have tried to get replacements for these burnt out 1990 editions

This was a great Aluminum frame DA/SA pistol that was very cost effective from S&W
Old May 25, 2019, 07:11 AM   #11
chaim

I'd go with the S&W, and not only because I'm a S&W 65 fan (I have a 3" S&W 65LS which I love BTW). In fact, if you were talking about which to use for carry, I'd say the Kimber. For the same reason I'd say the Kimber for carry, I say use the Smith for home defense- size. The lighter weight of the K6s may be an advantage for carry. Its smaller size is also an advantage. However, the heavier weight of the 65 is an advantage when you aren't going to carry. It will recoil less, allowing you to get back on target faster and giving you quicker follow up shots. The larger frame size will also likely mean a slightly longer sight radius even though the barrel length is the same, so it should be a little easier to get on target accurately with the S&W.
Old May 25, 2019, 08:00 AM   #12
kymasabe

I had 3" barreled Charter Arms for years, was great fun. Can't go wrong with a 3" bedside revolver.
Old May 26, 2019, 09:32 AM   #13
gnystrom

Take your pick.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:06 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Between those two, the Kimber.

My personal choice for a bedside revolver: Taurus Public Defender. Further than that, if I were to choose something on the bed right next to my pillow, it'd be a Pietta 1858 Sheriff with the .45 Colt conversion cylinder.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:00 PM   #15
Mr.RevolverGuy

Now that is an interesting choice curious do you have one today?
Old May 26, 2019, 11:01 PM   #16
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
Take your pick.
Beautiful and FUNCTIONAL
Old May 27, 2019, 04:15 AM   #17
kozak6

I'm not really in the mood for a youtube video right now, so what are the choices?

And why a 3" barrel? You probably aren't going to be concealing a bedside revolver.
Old May 27, 2019, 07:52 AM   #18
shurshot

Lots of options out there in 3". In my opinion, with the compact grips, Ruger's GP-100 .357 3", is one sweet deal. Compared to the new Colt King cobra, the Ruger is less money, only 7 ounces heavier and FAR more rugged and durable. The Ruger trigger smooths out considerably with dry firing / shooting and is very slick. I have had Colt revolvers in the past that went out of time in the lockwork. The Ruger is built like a TANK and will digest tens of thousands of full power magnums without issue. And my Ruger was made in NH, right next door.
Why did I chose the GP-100 3" over the S&W 686 snub? I couldn't find a used S&W 686 WITHOUT a lock. I just hate the look of the hole. So Ruger it is, unless I locate an older S&W.

Last edited by shurshot; May 27, 2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old May 27, 2019, 08:13 AM   #19
P5 Guy

Three inch 44SPL.
Old May 27, 2019, 01:43 PM   #20
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RevolverGuy View Post
Now that is an interesting choice curious do you have one today?
Yes, both. For typical inside the home distances, the purported accuracy issues with the Judges isn't a factor, nor is the short barrel as the slow big bore's like .44 Spl and .45 Colt don't lose much velocity going from a long barrel to a short barrel, so I understand why you think 3 inches is a good size for the bedside role.

The 1858, given it's a single action, is IMO safer to sleep with right next to you and given single actions are all so slow to reload and reloads likely wouldn't be needed anyway, I don't see the issue using a conversion cylinder. Also, if it does have to be used, it goes into an evidence room for who knows how long until you get it back. Nice thing is those Pietta's are cheap at Cabela's, $220 when on sale.
Old May 27, 2019, 01:45 PM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6 View Post
And why a 3" barrel? You probably aren't going to be concealing a bedside revolver.
You don't exactly want a long barrel either, more for the intruder to grab. Also, if this was a one gun solution (say someone just wanted to own one gun) a 3 inch does just fine for both carry (open or concealed) or home defense.

It's not like pocket pistols can't also serve in a home defense role. I have LCP's that I stash in places in the house that way no matter where I am at home, something's not too far from me in the event it's needed and given how small some guns are, they're easy to find places to hide them.
Old May 27, 2019, 01:52 PM   #22
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
You don't exactly want a long barrel either, more for the intruder to grab. Also, if this was a one gun solution (say someone just wanted to own one gun) a 3 inch does just fine for both carry (open or concealed) or home defense.

It's not like pocket pistols can't also serve in a home defense role. I have LCP's that I stash in places in the house that way no matter where I am at home, something's not too far from me in the event it's needed and given how small some guns are, they're easy to find places to hide them.
how does a home invader grab a hold of your pistol barrel?
Old May 27, 2019, 02:06 PM   #23
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
how does a home invader grab a hold of your pistol barrel?
When he or his accomplice(s) take you buy surprise. Unless you live in a mansion, it's tight quarters inside the home.
Old May 27, 2019, 03:14 PM   #24
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
When he or his accomplice(s) take you buy surprise. Unless you live in a mansion, it's tight quarters inside the home.
if you're doing building searches by yourself, your tactics suck. if you haven't been trained to do building searches and you do so, you're not very wise. an alarm system has a battery back up so wire cutting isn't going to do it anymore. an alarm system costs less than what most people spend on a gun and what most people spend on ammo monthly. I'd like to hear how a bad guy AND his accomplices would get into your home unnoticed by you. also, if you fear a gun take away you should invest in weapon retention training.
Old May 27, 2019, 03:27 PM   #25
KyJim

I wouldn't think the difference in a three or four inch barrel would make any practical difference in the possibility of an intruder grasping the barrel, whether the homeowner had received tactical training or not.

Good reasons to have a three-inch revolver at the beside? 1. Familiarity because a person carries and/or shoots it well. 2. It fits the storage compartment (drawer) better or is easier to conceal (I personally don't want a gun in plain view next to me while I sleep). 3. It may be easier/faster to retrieve from the drawer/hiding area. 4. It's a good excuse to buy and own another gun.