The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2019, 05:05 PM   #1
priler

Bigger Pistol is Better

I used to think different but now I agree. these do make for a better HD tool for several reasons. what's your opinion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZY0WkSk4Tc
Old May 15, 2019, 05:36 PM   #2
Dufus

My opinion?

I'm good.

My wife is good, too.
Old May 15, 2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I think a youtube vid of you (or your Lady) stocking up on a “Pistol” is stupid. The ATF’s opinion was pretty clear..... inadvertent contact was ok, but using the brace as a stock was a no-no
Old May 15, 2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

I recently came to the same conclusion as the OP and the video. For the average gun owner, that doesn't get to the range more than once a month or even less, a PCC is the way to go for a primary HD gun. PCCs are a lot easier to aim than a pistol, recoil is a non-factor (unlike a rifle or shotgun), follow-up shots are hence much easier and faster, weapon retention is more secure (unlike a rifle/typical shotgun), accuracy is significantly improved (over a pistol), hearing damage is not as much of an issue (unlike a shotgun/AR), etc. and so on.

And many PCCs aren't any more expensive than a quality pistol.

Recently picked up a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in 9mm for my mother, who's 81, 4' 9", has arthritis in her hands, etc. She can put 10 rounds on a standard playing card at ten yards with the thing. She couldn't stay inside the black on a B-27 silhouette target with any handgun at 7 yards, including my .22LR target pistol with red dot sight.

Her main problem with pistols was the lack of hand/arm strength; she simply couldn't hold a pistol steady enough to hit anything. The Kel-Tec eliminates the problem by allowing her to mount the thing to her shoulder.
Old May 15, 2019, 06:04 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Agreed, Sharkbite.
Intentional misuse of an "arm brace" is not on my list of approved actions.

My preference for an HD rig is a suppressed pistol.
But if you talk me into using a butt stock and short barrel, that can happen, too. My SBR is always loaded (and usually suppressed) while mated to one of the 7.5" to 14" barrels.

Use what you're comfortable with.
Don't let other people convince you otherwise, unless you try it for yourself.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:49 AM   #6
Sequins

I shoot at a police firing range in my town and I see shouldered braces all the time- No one seems to mind. I'm unsure where that ATF ruling stands without a court case to set some precedent because it really seems to be something we're scared of online but I was shooting with a brace just last weekend with the police and it was a non-issue.
Old May 16, 2019, 01:28 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

JULY 2018 UPDATE: It has been clarified that you CAN legally shoulder an AR-15 pistol equipped with a stabilizing brace, irrespective of the manufacturer of the brace. That means a Sig arm brace (e.g. this pistol brace) IS legal to use in this manner.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...cal-arm-brace/

Open the link, click on the red "here", and read the letter yourself.
Basically it says if you don't alter the brace like removing the strap, or in any other way you are not in violation by shouldering the pistol.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 16, 2019, 02:51 AM   #8
briandg

without having watched the video, I am going to say that regardless of what was in the video, a bigger pistol is better than a smaller one. A home defense gun is not in a holster under your clothes, it's tucked away somewhere. If there is plenty of space, utilize it by keeping a more effective and easily manipulated handgun there.
Old May 16, 2019, 07:25 AM   #9
wild cat mccane

As the purpose of the brace is to obfuscate the intent of SBR law, braced pistol owners should not (but will be) shocked when this goes the way of the bump stock that was also legal.

Oops, unless you can prove you are disabled, the stated creation of the brace being for disabled shooters.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:52 AM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
As the purpose of the brace is to obfuscate the intent of SBR law, braced pistol owners should not (but will be) shocked when this goes the way of the bump stock that was also legal.
The major difference being that the bump stock's sole, and intended purpose was to circumvent NFA restrictions. Whereas the brace is intended as a support. If they can ban them on the grounds that some people hold un altered braces against their shoulder when firing the gun, they can also outlaw pieces of Foam and rubber pipe insulation and electrical tape.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 16, 2019, 12:00 PM   #11
Lohman446

Yeh - I'm not going to depend on administrative rulings with no case law to define a grey area around NFA rules. That is just a disaster that results in jail time waiting to happen.

If a stocked gun is preferable for home defense there are plenty of options available.
Old May 16, 2019, 02:12 PM   #12
TunnelRat

I think a PCC is a good option overall. That said, I don't think I would personally want to use a braced pistol for home defense. I don't think it should in practical terms cause a problem, but depending on your state and the nature of the shooting maybe it could. If that is a concern you could always get a stamp, my guess is with the surge in braces that the wait period on an actual SBR would be pretty short, or go with a 16.5" barrel version. In many cases those versions are still quite compact.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 16, 2019, 03:32 PM   #13
precision_shooter

CZ Scorpion Evo...
Parts plentiful, upgrades plentiful and cheap, mags plentiful and cheap, ultra reliable.
Soon will have an Extar EP10 since the Scorpion is not made in 10mm.

The stribog interested me for about 10 minutes. Then I found better (IMO) options.

And if a bigger “pistol” is better, I have a PTR91 pistol that is SBR’d with a stock. Nothing says I love you and hate myself like 20 rounds of 7.62x51 from a SBR indoors at night...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776