The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 3, 2001, 02:47 PM   #1
ReserveCop

I was wondering if you use, or are thinking of using, "run flat tires" as part of your total self-defense strategy?

If so, what brand and type?

How much do they cost?

Thanks for your opinions?
Old March 3, 2001, 04:29 PM   #2
IamNOTaNUT

I've had a couple of sets of these. Every time I go to the mall some lunatic on a golf cart attacks me with a ring mounted .50 BMG. Once he hits my tires they run flat.

One time I was sitting in Ruby Tuesday's in a neighboring town's mall drinking an adult beverage. The same whacko ran in chanting something about being a RTF scout on a mutual aid mission. He shot my icy cold glass and my beer ran flat. Then I did. It was really embarassing.

Oh wait a minute, that's probably not what you meant. Unless you live in the remotest part of the desert or high plains I can't think of a "tactical" reason for spending the money on these. If you take a round to your tire, it does not explode. You have plenty of evasive driving to dobefore you have anything to worry about.

Now, if you want to make sure your wife can make it home from the mall after driving over a nail they might not be a bad idea.

I didn't do it, but I thought about it. Next time I might.

NRA
Old March 4, 2001, 12:35 PM   #3
Mike in VA

RC- The price will vary depending on the size and type of vehicle. The only ones I have any experience with are the Goodyears that came on my boss' C-5 Corvette, and they were about $290/corner (@NTW), and will allow you to 'limp home' at up to 55 mph. I've also seen a video demonstration of Pirelli's run-flat offering where they drilled a 1" hole in the sidewall and then went out on the test track. The test car was an Audi A-4, the car seemed to drive normally, and the test driver commented that the handling was quite neutral and the loss of pressure was barely noticable (not a good thing in my mind-), but speeds were limited to 100 kph (62 mph). FWIW, they are used on the presidential limo and SS chase vehicles (don't know the brand), and are part of BMW's "Protective" package (Pirellis or Michelin). HTH, M2
Old March 4, 2001, 05:48 PM   #4
M1911

They're used on the 'vette so that they can dispense with the spare tire. Saves weight and increases cargo space. Also comes with tire pressure monitors, because the run-flats don't sag much if they lose pressure, IIRC.

But I think they might also increase unsprung weight.

Nope, not something I'm particularly worried about.

M1911
Old March 4, 2001, 10:54 PM   #5
Coronach

Nota Nut: Whew! I thought I was the only one!

Seriously?

I think they're a good idea in general, not necessarily as part of a 'defense' scheme...but for safety/reliability/convenience in general. Though certainly they have 'defensive' applications as well...you know, those times when it might be nice to be able to drive away from a critter and be able to make it to the local State Patrol barracks.

I'm not sure what their price tag is, however...and if it is astronomical, they might not be worth it.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 5, 2001, 04:40 AM   #6
krept

actually, no... the run flat tires are not a part of my normal defense. I think there is a pretty BIG distinction between these run flat tires and solid rubber tires... run flats are just like normal tires that have a liquid compound inside of them that seals the tire much like Fix a Flat.

Solid rubber tires, OTOH... i think those are a bit pricey. I would look into run flats, but haven't really thought about them. Might be a good idea if it is only, say, a $40 increase over normal tires and I have enough money to spend on practice ammo (a higher priority for me).

I would have my car armour plated before getting solid rubber tires, however, in terms of threat preparation. It suffices to say that in the current state of affairs this will not be anytime soon... I need a gunsafe first.
Old March 5, 2001, 07:53 AM   #7
Mike in VA

M1911 is correct

On the 'Vette it's to eliminate the spare. In the other applications I mentioned, the tire relys on heavy sidewalls to support the vehicle, they're not solid rubber, and they're about 20% heavier than a convetionaltire of the same size, so they also increase unsprung weight. Some of the extra weight can be offset with composite or ally rims, but in general, they're still heavier. The price premium was about 25%, the price of peace of mind is up to you. M2
Old March 5, 2001, 02:37 PM   #8
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Bicycle cops can now rejoice.. schwinn and others are shipping tires with the slime already in them.

"slime" is foam rubber vicous liquid added to the inside of mountain bike tires, even if you have a 'flat" the tire will not deform as badly and you can ride the trails all day. Neat idea.