The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 5, 2011, 04:06 AM   #26
Desertfox

I agree with Lt. Long and Gunrunner. I do as some of you and get the meat in the cooler asap. I debone the meat the same day and get the meat in the cooler. I ice it down for 3 to 5 days and drain the water off daily. This period works wonders for removing the blood from the meat. If you keep the hair out of your cooler, you will improve the meat taste alot. If you try this method of soaking the meat in ice water for 3 to 5 days and draining it off, you will never want to eat venison any other way.
I use no saws in processing and of course, don't split the bladder open, while field dressing.
Anyone else tried the "butt out"? I am proud to use it. Works great.
Old September 12, 2011, 10:45 AM   #27
FrontSight

Here's video of a deer being skinned using a winch and cables - it's just a simple prototype version, with the deer laying down on a tarp on the ground, which isn't that great since lots of hair remains stuck to the meat. The clamp is an EZ-Skinner and was purchased online, but I think they no longer make it, which is really sad b/c it's awesome. A machine shop can probably make you one, or with some ingenuity you can make your own.

I've developed a much better version since this video was made, allowing an easy hoist by the neck up to a branch using first a pulley from a gambrel, and then an easy transfer to cables (for strength while pulling the skin off), and then an easy transfer back to the pulley with a gambrel attached to the hind legs for ease of butchering.

I'm hoping to get a deer this season so I can test it out and post an updated video...people can just make their own since it is so easy to put together, or maybe I'd even make and sell the kits to anyone who is interested but doesn't have the time / desire to make it themselves.

The nice things about a set up like this is that you can use it with pretty much any animal bigger than a squirrel and it takes up so little room. The cables loop into a neat little pile no bigger than the clamp, as opposed to the stationary skinners made from pipes / tubes weldded together. So if you don't have a lot of room in your garage / shed or just don't want another contraption taking up space, but you do have a couple of trees or sturdy structures to attach the cables to then this is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ykGB3ZGfU
Old September 19, 2011, 07:08 PM   #28
Elkins45

Quote:
This guy is lightning with a knife and deer. He debones an entire carcass in less than 8 minutes. I never thought I was fast, but I never realized how slow I am processing my game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw
That was pretty amazing! I noticed that he made really efficient use of a meat hook during the process. I may have to try that. I'll bet it really helps when processing very cold meat because my hands get numb and my arthritis starts to kick in after a while. I'll bet the meat hook would really help with that.
Old December 30, 2011, 06:02 PM   #29
Rembrandt

What do you guys have for meat processing equipment? How far along the process do you take it?....like making your own sausage etc. or just cut and grind?

When the kids were at home and we were hunting multiple states, not uncommon to have 10 or more animals to process. Locker fees got too high, so we bought all the equipment and started doing our own....savings paid for all of it the first year.

Picked up some of it used and a little here and there.

Last edited by Rembrandt; December 31, 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old December 30, 2011, 06:34 PM   #30
BIGR

Great set up Rembrandt. I have a smoker, but not the other stuff.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:02 AM   #31
TXGunNut

Nice setup indeed. I've decided game processing is like ammo manufacturing, it's not just about saving money.
How's that sausage stuffer working for you, Rembrandt? I have an old-fashioned lever type but I'm not happy with it. Casings are an issue as well.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 1, 2012, 05:20 PM   #32
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGunNut
....Nice setup indeed. I've decided game processing is like ammo manufacturing, it's not just about saving money.
How's that sausage stuffer working for you, Rembrandt? I have an old-fashioned lever type but I'm not happy with it. Casings are an issue as well.
You're right about it being similar to reloading....almost as expensive to get started. Stuffer works well, my son is the expert at it. Can also stuff casings with an attachment on the grinder.
Old January 1, 2012, 05:36 PM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I use the crap outta my foodsaver machine. Finally got a little fancy though...

Fer Christmas, I got mrs.hogdogs to get us the 3 piece combo of grinder, slicer and dehydrator...

The slicer is wimpy but we will find use for it (likely tender veggie/fruit slicing for drying).

Haven't used the grinder yet but it has to better than my little TOO DANG LOW SITTING chinese hand grinder that absolutely sucks and wears me out using it...

The dehydrator will get lots of use drying produce found on sale for sure!

As for other "equipment" I have some sharp Dexter Russel "Sani-Safe" knives and several starboard cutting boards...

Brent
Old January 1, 2012, 10:53 PM   #34
TXGunNut

Can also stuff casings with an attachment on the grinder. -Rembrandt

I usually just bag it, tried some brats once but had casing and probably fat ratio issues. My grinder has a stuffer too, guess I should try it.
Used the heck out of my foodsaver tonight too, Brent. Just put 85# of venison in the freezer. Congrats on the additions to your setup, think you'll make good use of it.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 10, 2012, 12:55 AM   #35
hoffbill

I have equipment similar to Rembrant. I like the Bradley smoker, I run 3. I make summer sausage, my private recipe for soft salami, smoked breakfast links(without casings), jerky and slim jims. We have a walkin cooler at the ranch I built. 2x8 floor insulated, 2x6 walls and ceiling insulated, vinyl floor and walls, insulated metal door, 8' wide x 12' long. Has a drop in cooler unit on top purchased for that purpose. Has a barn door track upside down with eyebolts every 18" for the meat hooks and suspended on cables with a pulley system and crank winch located on the outside. Works great, 36 degrees regardless of outside temp. Not expensive , I think about $20 a week, can't remember for sure.

Check Northern Tool for game processing equipment. They have some stuff that looks cheaper than Cabelas etc for comparable quality. Best savings are on their stuffers. Once you have a hand crank gear driven stuffer you will never want to use the grinder attachment again.

I like to butcher young 120# female feral hogs, grind the meat, pack it in vacuum bags flat (not more than 2" thick so it thaws fast) and freeze it until I need it to mix with venison for sausage. The meat of the young females smells better than the tame pork when you open those vacuum bags for the grocery store or Costco.
Old January 10, 2012, 04:07 AM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

hoff, You basically said exactly what I have said for 5 years... well more like 7+ but time has sped by since gettin' on the stinky end of swine while my dogs manage the sharp end...

I have a little local grocer that sells "large name brand" packed pork but from the smaller kill houses legal to pack under their name....

It is no feral swine small sow but it is as close as a retail buyer could come to feral pork.

The "ChinaMart" pork and Win-Dixie pork both smell and taste of NOTHIN'... I mean sanitary sterile NOTHIN'!!!

If I serve you a tenderloin steak from feral BOAR or from barnyard swine (the BIG LOIN)... If you prefer steamed napkin well done, you might say the China-Mart pork steak will satisfy...

If you like FLAVOR... BIG DEEP COMPLEX flavor, you will pick the loin steak from a 250# BOAR or a 120# sow o' da' woods but you won't like the bland "WHITE TIRE" flavor of the high production pork kill houses...

Brent
Old January 10, 2012, 11:58 PM   #37
hoffbill

Anyone here use a dehydrator for jerky?
Old January 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #38
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not yet!!! Need meat worthy to use...

Done a few runs of non-meats on mine getting used to it so far.

Jerky becomes high dollar per pound of finished product in a hurry so my cheapazz self may not be makin' much.

Brent
Old January 12, 2012, 06:43 AM   #39
Rembrandt

Never done jerky in a dehydrator.....just oven and smoker, don't see why it wouldn't work.

Just ordered supplies from the "Sausage Maker.Com", should start making sausage and novelty meats from this years deer next week. Can't wait for the finished product.
Old January 12, 2012, 09:14 AM   #40
viciouskitty

I just recently made my first batches of jerky with a dehydrator. I used strips of meat from a whitetail deer the neck. It had to be put in over night but the jerky came out great, I ended up with 3 gallon ziplocks full
Old January 12, 2012, 11:09 AM   #41
dalegribble

"Anyone here use a dehydrator for jerky?"

we use one to make beef jerky and it is excellent. i'm sure it would work just as good for wild game. a friend used one to make bear jerky and it was excellent also.
Old January 12, 2012, 11:29 AM   #42
1tfl

Do you guys bleed out your animal?
I was always told by my dad to slit the animals throat to bleed it out as soon as it is killed. I think he said it delays the decay process and make the meat taste better.
Old January 14, 2012, 07:03 PM   #43
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tfl
Do you guys bleed out your animal?
I was always told by my dad to slit the animals throat to bleed it out as soon as it is killed. I think he said it delays the decay process and make the meat taste better.
No.....by the time blood leaks out entry and exit wounds, then you gut it.....not much left to bleed.
Old January 26, 2012, 10:46 PM   #44
Rembrandt

Ground up some venison to make sausage.....Just put 100 lbs of ground deer in the fridge. Start making sausage soon.

Old January 27, 2012, 09:03 AM   #45
Doyle

Quote:
Anyone here use a dehydrator for jerky?
All the time. My favorite is pork jerky made from the whole loins that Sams sells for $2/lb. I save the fat trimmings to use for making sausage with wild pork (which is usually so lean it needs extra fat).
Old February 6, 2012, 06:21 AM   #46
Rembrandt

Finished up some sausage making, added 20% pork fat and high temp pepper jack and habenaro cheese. Makes great burgers too.

Old February 6, 2012, 06:23 AM   #47
Rembrandt

Old February 6, 2012, 09:06 AM   #48
johnwilliamson062

Are you smoking them in the bags or was that just for temporary storage?
Old February 6, 2012, 11:59 AM   #49
Rembrandt

Casings are to form & hold everything together until the meat is smoked and cooked...discarded before eating.
Old February 6, 2012, 02:53 PM   #50
johnwilliamson062

I don't know much about this, but...

I'm under the impression a smoker gets at least as hot as a dehydrator.(150+) I was thinking hotter, but I am not sure.
There are not many soft plastics that can take that kind of heat without degrading into the food. Silicone being an obvious exception, although relatively expensive.
I have had smoked sausage, and it was probably in synthetic casings, I just never thought of it before. Jerky sits on plastic in my dehydrator, but it is not a pliable plastic like a sausage casing.