The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2022, 11:10 AM   #1
MoscowMike

Modify Ljungman AG 42 Magazine

A friend needs to have a couple of Ljungman AG 42 magazines permanently modified from 10 to 5 round capacity. I won’t have the chance to look at them any time soon, but was hoping to hear if anyone has had experience doing that, or knows of a gunsmith who is familiar with them.

Apparently replacement magazines are hard to find, so he would prefer to not screw these up in the process.
Old April 29, 2022, 11:50 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

You need him to define "permanently".

Because the definition varies in the real world. In some cases, "permanently" means "cannot be returned to original configuration, ever". In other cases, it means cannot be modified without tools or shop work. (cannot be done in the field)

If the 5rnd requirement is for hunting, a plug in the magazine might be sufficient to meet the regulations. There are a number of ways one can block a magazine to only hold a specified number of rounds. Some are considered permanent under some regulations, others are not.

TO offer meaningful advice, you need to know the specific regulation/requirements he is trying to meet.
Old April 30, 2022, 10:49 AM   #3
MoscowMike

That’s a valid point. These will need to be converted to 5 round capacity in a permanent manner as defined by the current regulations. Here they are -

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), altering or re-manufacturing a cartridge magazine includes

(a) the indentation of its casing by forging, casting, swaging or impressing;

(b) in the case of a cartridge magazine with a steel or aluminum casing, the insertion and attachment of a plug, sleeve, rod, pin, flange or similar device, made of steel or aluminum, as the case may be, or of a similar material, to the inner surface of its casing by welding, brazing or any other similar method; or

(c) in the case of a cartridge magazine with a casing made of a material other than steel or aluminum, the attachment of a plug, sleeve, rod, pin, flange or similar device, made of steel or of a material similar to that of the magazine casing, to the inner surface of its casing by welding, brazing or any other similar method or by applying a permanent adhesive substance, such as a cement or an epoxy or other glue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The online images don’t show me whether there is enough room around the spring to fasten a sleeve inside the lower section of the magazine so the follower can’t go down past it, or if you would need to cut the spring. There may be other options, and it would be nice to find someone who has done this before.
Old April 30, 2022, 11:54 AM   #4
tangolima

I haven't modified a Ljungman magazine, but I have seen other magazines modified in a manner compliant to the regulations.

You may consider spot welding an "arch" of sheet metal on the bottom plate of the mag. The arch goes up through the magazine spring loops and limits how far the follower goes down. Such arch can be welded on the bottom side of the follower. The issue with this mod is that the arch can interfere with the spring. The arch can be anything that serve this purpose, for example a bolt on the bottom plate sticking upwards. You just tack the bolt in place with weld. I favor this method as it can be reversed without much difficulty.

Another approach is really permanent. People did that because they like the end result, instead of to fulfill legal requirements. I have seen magazines shortened, with cut-of disc. If you do the job right, you will have a fully functional and slimmed down magazine. But it cannot be reversed.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 2, 2022, 11:40 AM   #5
MoscowMike

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see how that would work, but don’t know how the Ljungman baseplate fits on, which would have an effect.

I’m trying to help a friend who is not able to get online himself.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has done it, but these rifles are uncommon enough that’s unlikely. Any recommendations for a gunsmith who has experience modifying magazines for other military rifles?
Old May 5, 2022, 09:47 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you can weld, you can do it yourself.

put in 5 dummy cartridges and mark the position of the follower.

Noting the depth of the follower, drill two holes in the magazine body beneath those marks. Put pins through. This limits how far down the follower can be depressed. Now weld those pins in place.

You may have to buy some magazine springs to trim (I wouldn't trim the originals).

the nice thing is that if you break the welds to remove the pins and weld up the holes and file, you can have regular magazines.
Old May 28, 2022, 01:59 PM   #7
zeke

Might consider the price of these mags, before modifying em.
Old May 29, 2022, 07:29 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Might consider the price of these mags, before modifying em.
A valid point.

At the same time, consider the price of breaking the law or a game regulation. I think the cost of fines and legal representation (let alone the cost of a conviction, possibly even a felony conviction) and weigh the two against each other.

I know which side my scale will lean, and even and expensive magazine isn't close to the cost of the downside.
Old May 30, 2022, 06:45 AM   #9
zeke

Would certainly not want to keep illegal items, as have too much to lose. If just for hunting, would consider another rifle vs just wanting to use a Ljungman. But believe you're right, there be lots of considerations. As an aside, bought one of those decades ago for $350. Unfired after importation, and still unfired.

It might even be the only rifle the client owns, ya never know.
Old May 30, 2022, 12:58 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

If you want to use it for hunting, "sacrifice" one magazine (and eat the cost) and have it "permanently" converted to comply with the hunting regs. The cost of even a rare and expensive magazine is pittance compared to the cost of violating the regs or any laws.

You might even consider the "loss" of one mil capacity magazine converted to a sporting capacity limit as actually increasing the utility and value of your gun.

Not it's milsurp collector value, but its utility value overall, as for the cost of one altered magazine you now have a rifle that can legally be used for hunting as well as being a milsurp collectable. (this, of course assumes you have at least two magazines, one to be kept original, and the other to be converted)

If you only have one magazine, DON'T convert it (reducing the rifle's milsurp collector value) and use a different rifle for hunting.
Old June 2, 2022, 02:02 PM   #11
MoscowMike

There are lots of factors. My friend has to deal with the legal situation where he lives, and as someone pointed out, the cost of penalties can outweigh the value of the magazine.

We have a lead on a gunsmith, so I hope that works out. If you live in a less restrictive locality, keep this in mind when you consider who to support. Thanks for the interest!
Old June 5, 2022, 12:13 PM   #12
zeke

Appreciate the follow up. It helps knowing what the situation was.

Tags
ag 42 , ljungman