The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 28, 2022, 08:55 PM   #1
KyJim

"a low life piece of dog crap"

That's how a homeowner described a home invader who killed his daughter, wounded the homeowner, and then fled when the homeowner returned fire.

The invader climbed scaffolding to break through an upstairs window, force open the door to the young woman's bedroom, and shoot her several times with an AR-15. The homeowner engaged the home invader twice with two different pistols. The second engagement took place during a call to 911. The homeowner was shot three times and thought he had hit the invader multiple times. He described the home invader as wearing what looked like a flack jacket or bullet proof vest. The home invasion occurred in the early morning hours on 2-22-2022. The suspect was apprehended early this morning without incident. Police said he was not hurt.

Here is where the strange part comes in. There is no apparent connection between the home invader and the family and a possible motive might include the presence of a bunker at the home.

The home was up for sale for $6.5 million and belonged to a retired businessman and his family. The house had a 2,000 square foot "doomsday bunker" that is supposedly resistant to "nuclear, biological and chemical fallout."

The suspect's mother said her 23-years old son had not been of sound mind the last couple of weeks, was concerned about a nuclear war, and had talked about building a bunker. The homeowner thought publicity about the bunker may have sparked the motive for the home invasion.

A lot of the details just came out publicly today. I had wondered why a $6.5 million dollar house with a bunker wouldn't have a security system. Now, I'm guessing there was one, but it didn't cover second story windows. This crime also underscores the desirability of having either multiple guns or a gun with multiple loaded magazines handy. While the homeowner tragically lost his daughter, he could have also lost his wife and lost his own life.

Details about the shootout from the homeowner: https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/...258863968.html

Story about the arrest and possible motive involving the bunker: https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/...258784478.html
Old February 28, 2022, 11:48 PM   #2
Doc Intrepid

US society was already at significantly escalated levels of tension, anxiety, and general stress as a result of COVID, lockdowns & mandates, interrupted career pressures, socioeconomic issues, various political schisms in an election year, as well as recent record high inflation, lack of availability of everything from grocery items to housing, and rising gasoline prices.

Putin's invasion of Ukraine and associated nuclear threats, along with China's continual threats regarding Taiwan have additionally raised general concerns over Great Power war developing in the same way that World Wars I and II came about. It isn't necessarily surprising that elevated stress and anxiety levels might lead fragile Americans to a state of mental distress. Many Americans are understandably nervous and concerned about events in Ukraine and Europe more broadly, but there will be a small minority who may be pushed over the edge.

Americans need to hunker down and exercise high levels of situational awareness.

Generalized stress in US society is unlikely to decrease any time soon - and is more likely to ratchet upwards as mid-term elections in November draw nearer. The combination of domestic unrest and international anxiety combined can clearly lead to rising threat levels aside and apart from the widespread increase in criminal behavior seen since COVID surfaced in 2000. Deep blue metropolitan areas on both coasts get more press, but crime is increasing throughout the rest of the US as well. 2022 is likely to be a year for the history books, in more ways than one.

Stay alert, be aware. And Prepare.
Old March 3, 2022, 02:01 PM   #3
SIGSHR

I recall Jan Libourel once writing that "Evil is everywhere !" And Sherlock Holmes telling Dr. Watson that there is just as much evil in the bucolic countryside as in the cities. The high rate of illegitimacy, drug use, deinstitutionalizing of mental patients means that there aren't that many "safe" places anymore.
Old March 4, 2022, 09:20 AM   #4
DT Guy

There are always folks riding the shoulder on the highway of life, barely keeping their wheels on this side of the white line. The more the road rocks and curves, the more those folks will swerve across that line. And the road has been VERY curvy for most folks lately.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old March 4, 2022, 12:36 PM   #5
12-34hom

10-4

Dt Guy pegged it. 12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old March 5, 2022, 12:45 AM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...there is just as much evil in the bucolic countryside as in the cities.
I haven't really tried to work out the numbers to prove the theory I'm going to lay out.

I suspect that the reason that crime is lower in the country isn't because the people are better there, on average, but that because there are fewer people spread over a wider area, the criminals are spread thinner.

Imagine that the population is a deck of cards and all of the 10s in the deck are criminals. Put two decks on a table. That's your city.

Take another deck and scatter the cards evenly over a couple football fields. That's a rural area.

Now pick a card from the table and one from the football fields. The probability that the card you pick will be a "criminal" is exactly the same whether you get the card from the table or the football fields.

The difference is that there are 8 total "criminals" in one spot on the table and you'd have to cover two football fields to find all the "criminals" in the scattered deck and even then there would be only 4 of them because there's only one deck scattered over that area.
Old March 8, 2022, 10:50 AM   #7
IZZY

A bit of drift here, being in the woods does not equal safety...I should know.

Jackson County FL has a nice little meth gang on ATV's complicit with the local Sheriff. They beat up an older ( AF Vietnam Vet) and part Cherokee buddy of mine, and the Sheriff's nephew ( a deputy) arrested my friend because the gang of 25+ claimed he pointed a gun, my friend got probation...they got off.

I met this guy because he helped me with a dry rot flat tire, that needed a pipe in addition to a tire wrench which he supplied whilst I was stuck on the dirt road. He is TOO NICE sometimes.

I can't get into details with my interactions, ( I had numerous complaints against them, never led to an arrest) but let's just say I never put up a fence until I left my property...

Things are a bit different in the city, you may have very little time to react, there you need defensible layers to slow down an attacker.
Old April 13, 2022, 03:35 PM   #8
AdamMuskul

Quote:
There are always folks riding the shoulder on the highway of life, barely keeping their wheels on this side of the white line. The more the road rocks and curves, the more those folks will swerve across that line. And the road has been VERY curvy for most folks lately.
https://seriale.best
Larry
Oh yes, words are beautiful and true.
Old April 15, 2022, 08:54 AM   #9
Drm50

I live in one of most rural counties in Ohio. Also I think county of least population. There is nothing here. Like other similar areas all the little villages and towns have dried up. Very few Ma & Pa operations left. These places are magnets for low life types. Regular people have to move out to find work. Low rent and off the grid brings us problem people.
Old July 2, 2022, 06:16 PM   #10
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
I haven't really tried to work out the numbers to prove the theory I'm going to lay out.

I suspect that the reason that crime is lower in the country isn't because the people are better there, on average, but that because there are fewer people spread over a wider area, the criminals are spread thinner.

Imagine that the population is a deck of cards and all of the 10s in the deck are criminals. Put two decks on a table. That's your city.

Take another deck and scatter the cards evenly over a couple football fields. That's a rural area.

Now pick a card from the table and one from the football fields. The probability that the card you pick will be a "criminal" is exactly the same whether you get the card from the table or the football fields.

The difference is that there are 8 total "criminals" in one spot on the table and you'd have to cover two football fields to find all the "criminals" in the scattered deck and even then there would be only 4 of them because there's only one deck scattered over that area.
I think that per Capita there are less violent criminals in rural areas. I worked L.E. in both small towns and big cities. Per Capita, we had 5x the officers at the big department and still worked 3x as hard as at the rural department. At the small departments, we had app 1 on duty per shift for every 10k population. At the largest dept I worked at it was one per 2500, and we were still busy, all the time. Rural people are just more laid back and chilled out.
Old July 3, 2022, 10:27 AM   #11
Ricklin

Illegal Mary Jane

Rural areas are quickly becoming much less safe, more unintended consequences of the decriminalizing of Cannabis.

Rural Southern Oregon and Northern Ca. is awash in it, literally tons and tons.

NOT old hippies living off the grid, these are cartel operations bringing in the labor and stealing the water they need.

The hoop houses are everywhere. Law enforcement is totally overwhelmed.