The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 18, 2022, 10:15 PM   #1
L. Boscoe

Replacing firing pin

Ok, I got it out, no prob. Putting it back reminds me of the story about sticking a wet noodle up a wildcats rear end.
I saw the videos- looks like video magic. I get the damn pin in but cannot get it to snap back into the retainer.
Any wisdom here?

( on a 1911 A1 Springfield 45.)
Old February 19, 2022, 09:52 AM   #2
BornFighting88

Maybe depress. It with a pin punch and wiggle the retainer while slowly letting off of the firing pin to see if you can guide it into place. Pictures help.

I replaced the firing pin on my Kimber a year or two ago and it was very simple. Mind you, I might have a different series than you. But I had no problems.
Old February 19, 2022, 10:10 AM   #3
std7mag

A good vice that hold it securely allowing you use of both hands helps greatly!

I'll have to get my friend to try the noodle & wildcat trick!
I like my blood on the inside!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 19, 2022, 10:34 AM   #4
L. Boscoe

Replacing firing pin

thanks guys-the vice I think will work.
Old February 19, 2022, 12:28 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If a 1911 firing pin has been depressed enough to allow installing the firing pin retainer, and then the firing pin won't pop back out to engage the retainer -- something is wrong and a vise is likely NOT going to fix it.

Your pistol is a Springfield Armory. Springfield, for their own reasons, uses a proprietary firing pin diameter -- the tip is larger than what the rest of the industry uses for 9mm and .38 Super, and smaller than what the rest of the industry uses for .45 ACP. If you didn't buy the SA-specific firing pin, there's a very high possibility that your firing pin is wedged in the hole in the breech face. Even if you DID buy a firing pin that's supposed to be for Springfields, it may still be a tad too large and might require polishing with emery cloth to reduce the diameter of the tip just a smidge.
Jeepaholic
Old February 19, 2022, 04:13 PM   #6
Scorch

Most common reason for a firing pin not popping back into the plate if you have a Series 80 type is the firing pin safety is holding onto it. Push the firing pin safety up and you will hear it click back into place.

If you have a series 70 type without the firing pin block, try moving the plate up and back until the firing pin pops back out.
Old February 20, 2022, 04:57 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Unless it has changed since I bought one back about 1990, the SA A-1 will not have the Series 80 type firing pin safety. Also, it sounds like he is replacing, as in putting back together, not as in putting a new part in place. If I have that right, it should go back together.

One question I have is whether you dry-fired the hammer against the slide with the firing pin and firing pin stop removed? Doing so can peen the metal around the mouth of the firing pin tunnel enough to cause problems with either insertion or popping out. If you did that, you will need to use a drill bit or a reamer or a tapered reamer, or a burr remover to clean up the mouth of the tunnel.

Hold the slide so you can confirm that you got the extractor in where it causes no interference with slipping the firing pin stop into place. If in doubt, just pop the extractor out and see if that lets you seat the firing pin properly. If so, you likely had the extractor turned a little counterclockwise.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 21, 2022, 10:19 PM   #8
L. Boscoe

Replacing firing pin

took it to a gunsmith who builds custom 1911's that sell
in the $3-4K range. He said he would do a complete teardown and if anything was needed he would tell me in addition to replacing the titanium firing pin and spring with what he recommends.
He showed me a 1911 in 9mm that had a 3 inch group at 50 yards, one that he built. I saw the target.
Talk about luck finding him!