The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 5, 2021, 09:56 PM   #1
Jackal11

Lightweight AR-15 7.62x39 Upper

Seeking suggestions for who makes some lightweight 7.62x39 uppers (e.g. thin barrels) for stalking hunts with lots of hiking. No front sight as I want to install a folding front sight. Prefer a skeletonized top-rail forend but a standard polymer handguard would be ok if thats the only way to get a lightweight barrel.

Thanks for any help.
Old September 6, 2021, 08:50 AM   #2
10-96

I'm not sure what's available for light barrels in x39, but I would look for a light skeletonized aluminum or a carbon fiber handguard. The plastic/poly handguards won't be near stable enough to put a sight on. With the Free floated ones, you can go with one that goes all the way to the end of the barrel which will also extend your sight radius to it's maximum potential.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 6, 2021, 09:03 AM   #3
9x19

I haven't come across a thin profile barrel in 7.62x39 All I've seen are either heavy or M4 contour.

I went short over thin.

Old September 6, 2021, 09:53 AM   #4
berettaprofessor

This one is the lightest complete upper I know of (3.5#) without building it yourself: https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ar-...echarging.html
Old September 6, 2021, 07:16 PM   #5
Jim Watson

There used to be shops that would turn a barrel down for a reasonable price.
Old September 7, 2021, 10:37 AM   #6
GeauxTide

I had my Grendel barrel fluted, taking 6 ounces off. You're not gonna find a light x39 barrel, so turn or flute.
Old September 7, 2021, 08:50 PM   #7
kymasabe

Well, I think the easiest way for a light x39 build is going to be to build it yourself. If you dont need forward assist or dust cover, get the anderson slick side upper. Between the forgings that arent needed and the other components, will save almost half a pound.
Next, as others have mentioned, find a barrel you like and have it lightened/fluted.
Lastly, you have to decide its purpose (well, that should actually come first, but anyway...) and decide if you're gonna use a scope, red dot, or sights. I have a lightweight AR with a pencil barrel, gas block looks like an A2 front sight that's been cut down, and its carbine length gas with delta ring and magpul moe sl handguard. I use red dot only on mine, no place for a front sight. Very little weight past the gas block, she's light and fast... Sure, you can run full length free float handguards and front and rear sights, but adds weight up front. All depends on what you want to build.
Old September 8, 2021, 01:45 PM   #8
stagpanther

You're going to run up against the physical limitations of your caliber bore width and what is practical for a threaded muzzle.