The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2012, 06:00 PM   #76
Irish B

My Mosin with 220 gr soft tips seems to work great on the old bandits.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:17 PM   #77
scrubcedar

I've had a lot of experience with Semi-urbanized Raccoons as well as what I guess I'll call woods raccoons. Woods raccoons are irritating thieves that can be a problem when cornered a .22 is fine for these no biggie. An urbanized raccoon is almost a different species. Bigger, yes 45 or 50 lbs. Aggressive, they will kill your pets, I've unfortunately had to watch, not my pet thank the good lord. They have no perceptible fear of humans, a little wariness at most. I can understand how he feels about this 'coon I'd feel the same way and have no faith that it would run away rather than attack if wounded. I would reach for my BPS rather than anything else under these circumstances and would keep putting rounds on the target until it was motionless.
I get along with wild animals fairly well I'm not a shoot on sight sort of guy. By contrast I feel rattlesnakes are calm creatures that will ask you politely to go away almost always before acting in any harmful manner.

Last edited by scrubcedar; May 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:28 PM   #78
scrubcedar

BTW yes I knew that this thread was old when I posted to it. The addition was for anyone looking for help with these critters, so that they would understand what they are dealing with. Good luck if you are that person and feel free to contact me if you have questions.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:43 AM   #79
giaquir

Back in the late
80's we had a Rabies scare
where I lived.
At the time my girls were small.
I killed every raccoon that came to the
garbage buckets (I regret it now).
I used an old Marlin 80g and CCI stingers.
Not once did I have to shoot twice.
I shot many, many raccons, some big
ole mamas too.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:55 PM   #80
scrubcedar

I'm constantly amazed at what a .22 rimfire will do! A little time, good shot placement=dead animal. I carried around a single six out in the scrubland of
Colorado and never felt undergunned with it. A .22 mag with the 7 1/2" barrel was a surprisingly capable round. Even with possibility of a cougar attack I knew I could pull off a head shot. I was that familiar with my weapon and that aware of my surroundings. The question in this case carried with it the possibility of having to stop an aggressive animal maybe already engaged with my dog. I'm going to have to stop the animal as quickly as possible under tricky circumstances. All that being said I'm not sure that I would pick up any old shotgun to do this. My bps is backbored at the forcing cone and there is a fair amount of drop at the comb on the stock those two things together practically cancel out ANY muzzle rise. You pull the trigger, it thumps your shoulder, but does not come off of the target. Full choke for a nice tight pattern and wherever I have to hit the animal it is disabled, can't get away, cant attack. Very good point though I think you and I probably see this pretty closely to the same way.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:28 PM   #81
Cornbread

Had a friend with a camper at a lake and had a deck with a roof built the length of the camper. On the deck there was a small fridge for beer and left over meals. A coon started getting in it at night and making a mess.
He set traps every where. The place was booby trapped, looked like Vietnam. Still no coon so he put a bungee cord on the door. Coon chewed it into, same mess. Finely he told me he didn’t want to kill the coon anymore he just wanted to talk to him because he was a lot smarter than his wife.