The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 5, 2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

The NRA Has Announced They're In Favor Of Restrictions On Bump-Fire Stocks

Quote:
“The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations,” said the NRA in a statement released Thursday afternoon, its first public comments since the shooting.
Full article here: https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-white...190949986.html

I have zero interest in owning one of these stocks, but it has always been my opinion that if you want to own one then that's fine with me. I think this is a slippery slope that the NRA is on.
Old October 5, 2017, 02:59 PM   #2
brian33x51

If anything the NRA should have been quiet about specifics of the matter and just made a statement about how this guy was a deranged mass murderer.

Do the car and truck companies come out in support of automotive legislation every time terrorists drive into crowds?
Old October 5, 2017, 03:15 PM   #3
FITASC

They felt that to stay silent on a subject that many ignorant folks believe are machine guns would be worse than staying quiet. I find the item, along with a SIG brace to be more gimmicky than useful; BUT if someone wants to spend their money and use it in a legal fashion, I have no issue with that - same for suppressors/moderators/"silencers"
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 5, 2017, 03:28 PM   #4
kmw1954

I am not a rifle owner though I do own a number of semi-auto pistols.

My question is how is this incident with the bump-fire stocks on these firearms going to effect all of us and the over-all impression of any semi-auto firearm be it rifle or pistol?

Personally I cannot see myself in need of a bump-fire weapon or even wanting to own one as I picture it as just a waste of ammunition. Id rather shoot bottle rockets or mortars. But that's just me.

So now are they going to want to try and restrict all semi-auto firearms? Rifles, handguns, shotguns?
Old October 5, 2017, 03:41 PM   #5
JoeSixpack

They already try to make a case for banning semi-auto's based on rate of fire and mag size.. once the bump stocks are out of the way it's back to business as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Pike View Post
Full article here: https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-white...190949986.html

I have zero interest in owning one of these stocks, but it has always been my opinion that if you want to own one then that's fine with me. I think this is a slippery slope that the NRA is on.
I feel the same way.

I had/have no plans of buying one because I see them as crude but no doubt it's tightening of the noose even if some don't feel the pinch on a individual basis..

I plan to call NRA tomorrow and tell them to stop sending me anything including american riflemen mag's.

Funny thing is I had just bought 4 taurus handguns which I was gonna use their free 1yr offers to extend my membership but not now.

I was sour on the NRA for a long time then they took up the "stand and fight" moto and thought ok maybe... they're dead to me now.
Old October 5, 2017, 03:58 PM   #6
RC20

Quote:
Do the car and truck companies come out in support of automotive legislation every time terrorists drive into crowds?
Well the aforesaid times tend not to spew out something like 5000 rounds in 10 minutes.

No sure solution, just a lot of cut outs that may help.

I gave up on the NRA back in the early 70s when they ranted and raved and got in bed with gun companies when they were a teaching origination in the vein my folks taught me, responsible gun owner and safe practices.

The Affordable Hearing Act my ass, Silencers INC more like it.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:17 PM   #7
50 shooter

Looks like the NRA is going back to their compromising days, let this go as its such a little thing!

I think some of the people in the NRA need to go, starting at the top and working down!
No time for rearranging.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:33 PM   #8
TruthTellers

I agree with Joesixpack and 50 shooter, since the AWB ended in 04, what has the NRA done to advance the 2nd Amendment? Absolutely nothing has come federally since then, state wise there has been a lot of wins and losses, notably all the permitless carry states that have popped up the past 5 years.

But in general, if the NRA can't make a stand on bumpfire stocks, which have been used in one shooting, and they had 9 months to pressure Congress to get HPA and SHARE through to Trump and couldn't, then what the hell is the reason to keep supporting them?

The NRA made a god damn killing off us during the Obama years, as did gun companies and ammo manufacturers. They need to step up.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:37 PM   #9
Green Lantern

This is a good move by the NRA.

My local gun dealer has people calling him, wanting to buy these. He said they are selling for as much as $1,000 now and he can't even find any to sell.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:50 PM   #10
Evan Thomas

There's already a thread on this in L&CR. We don't need another one here.