The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 25, 2020, 09:34 AM   #26
ocharry

here is Hannibal Missouri

the regular axis with the black plastic stock and skinny barrel was on sale for a long time and im sure still is for $249

the heavy barrel axis with plastic stock was or is $398,,,not sure if that one was axis or axis II,,

if i could have got the heavy barrel in 243 from them i would have owned one ,,,but they dont carry it that way,,,they do in the skinny barrel though

and then i found the 110 tactical,,,and it just kept talking in my ear,,,so thats where that story goes and thats what i got,,in 6.5 CM,,,more money but lots of good features

i just read you want an action,,,i dont think you gona find an axis any cheaper,,,maybe a used one,,maybe,,,believe me i was looking

ocharry
Old February 25, 2020, 09:50 AM   #27
stagpanther

I'm thinking my 350 legend is going to be reincarnated as a 280 AI.
Old February 26, 2020, 09:10 AM   #28
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
here is Hannibal Missouri

the regular axis with the black plastic stock and skinny barrel was on sale for a long time and im sure still is for $249

the heavy barrel axis with plastic stock was or is $398,,,not sure if that one was axis or axis II,,

if i could have got the heavy barrel in 243 from them i would have owned one ,,,but they dont carry it that way,,,they do in the skinny barrel though

and then i found the 110 tactical,,,and it just kept talking in my ear,,,so thats where that story goes and thats what i got,,in 6.5 CM,,,more money but lots of good features

i just read you want an action,,,i dont think you gona find an axis any cheaper,,,maybe a used one,,maybe,,,believe me i was looking

ocharry
I have the Savage 110 Tactical Desert and very much like it. I feel like the Varmint Accutrigger and the Accifit Stock with the aluminum mini chassis is well worth the extra expense. For $620 it is a darn good value. It's also a half minute gun with several factory ammo choices.

To the OP, I was at Walmart this morning. Here in PA they have a stainless Axis rifle in .308 for $296 and a blued one for $246 I would wager that your local Walmart would be similar.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 9, 2020, 05:51 PM   #29
kilotanker22

So where are you at with this std7mag?
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 11, 2020, 11:59 AM   #30
std7mag

Well, i've had a change of direction on the action front.
I'm going to end up taking the Stevens 200 apart, and use that action. I'll save my 250 Savage barrel and if another action comes along i'll screw it onto that.
It was my primary coyote rifle and loaner gun. But i can use the Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts for coyotes.
No, i don't loan that rifle out!

Another reason to go with the 200 action is my stock choice. I've found several Choate stocks, but the screw spacing is different for the Axis action.

I contacted E.R. Shaw. They were my first choice for a barrel. But they will only do up to a 26" barrel. So i'm going with a Douglas instead. Talking with them, they are working with me on a 30" tube and with contours.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...