The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 29, 2020, 09:30 PM   #1
Snidely Whiplash

OWB CCW with t-shirt and unbuttoned casual shirt

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere:

For those of you who carry OWB while wearing a T-Shirt and unbuttoned casual (Hawaiian) shirt do you wear the t-shirt tucked in or untucked over the firearm?

I just got a Stealthgear Flex Ventcore for use with my Glock 19 and am happy with its comfort but if I wear it outside of a tucked in t-shirt but under the unbuttoned casual shirt I’m worried about exposure if the front of the unbuttoned shirt opens via wind etc. If I wear the firearm under the untucked t-shirt and unbuttoned shirt it’s concealed very well but somewhat awkward trying to maneuver both shirts up to draw the firearm. Curious how others are carrying with this type of clothing.
Old January 29, 2020, 09:59 PM   #2
Onward Allusion

Depends on the length of the shirt untucked. Hawaiian shirts are usually shorter, so I'd have the t-shirt untucked as well. As for managing both...practice.
Old January 29, 2020, 10:51 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Tucked in for the tee shirt.
Jeepaholic
Old January 29, 2020, 11:29 PM   #4
bamaranger

tucked

Having to clear both the shirt-tail, then the t-shirt would indeed be awkward. I tuck the T. I also wear the holster about the 4:00 position, which helps guard against an inadvertent handgun flash. Casually controlling the concealment garment, what ever it may be, with the forearm is one of those things that go along with carrying discreetly.
Old January 29, 2020, 11:41 PM   #5
USCS

I tuck the T-shirt if wearing an over shirt. I can’t see the point in untucking both.

Last edited by USCS; January 30, 2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old January 30, 2020, 05:03 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I tuck the T-shirt, and also wear my holster at 4:00, with spare mags at 7:00. One other trick that I use is to tuck a very small piece of the strong-side corner of the cover shirt up under my belt to prevent the wind from blowing my cover shirt wide open.
Old January 30, 2020, 08:30 AM   #7
rodfac

Quote:
I tuck the T-shirt, and also wear my holster at 4:00, with spare mags at 7:00. One other trick that I use is to tuck a very small piece of the strong-side corner of the cover shirt up under my belt to prevent the wind from blowing my cover shirt wide open.
I tuck the T in my pants to prevent it riding up...too, I don't want skin against metal/wood grips etc...bad for the gun and uncomfortable for me.

But Spats has mentioned a very useful trick of tucking a corner of the outer garment under the belt to help with wind problems...Thanks Spats...for a lawyer, you're pretty darned clever!! I learned something new here today.
Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 30, 2020, 08:53 AM   #8
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Having to clear both the shirt-tail, then the t-shirt would indeed be awkward. I tuck the T. I also wear the holster about the 4:00 position, which helps guard against an inadvertent handgun flash. Casually controlling the concealment garment, what ever it may be, with the forearm is one of those things that go along with carrying discreetly.
This^^^ and I tuck the T. Not only less to clear but more comfortable IMO.

Also, if the T is untucked, and the holster doesn't have a body shield you will have the cold slide on your skin. Contact with skin, over time, might cause corrosion if not careful.

Look for the style of tilt (forward, vertical, etc.) I carry a little past 3 o'clock with forward tilt pancake holsters so when dressed like that and bending over the butt end of the slide is not visible.

Most holsters are a compromise, whether OWB or IWB and we are all built differently.
Old January 30, 2020, 09:23 AM   #9
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Tucked in for the tee shirt.
Indeed. Now personally my Hawaiian shirt is buttoned.

When it was really windy and I was walking dogs I would wear the T shirt out as well in case the H shirt pulled up.

Now I wear longer Hawaiian shirts, and the law has changed such that OC and accidental uncovering are not illegal, so my concern is much much less.
Old January 30, 2020, 09:00 PM   #10
tlm225

For me the T-shirt is tucked in, the unbuttoned cover shirt isn't. If I anticipate a breeze I'll put my right hand fingers in my front pants pocket and use the heel of my hand to trap the bottom of the cover shirt, preventing it from exposing my sidearm.
Old January 31, 2020, 01:31 PM   #11
Kevin Rohrer

I carry this way 7-months out of the year. Both shirts are untucked.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 31, 2020, 02:13 PM   #12
10-96

Mostly for summertime, there's some great looking fishing shirts that make good OWB cover-ups. I usually get them a size larger than normal and think they look ok. I guess they look ok. I mean, my wife and kids aren't embarrassed to be seen with me. Anyway, I wear them untucked, buttoned, and over tucked in t-shirts.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 31, 2020, 09:58 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Tuck in your tee and wear any type of printed shirt over the top. You don't have to go Don Ho crazy, any type of patterned shirt works well to break up the outline of the gun.