The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 10, 1999, 11:00 PM   #1
bergie

Sunday I spent the afternoon at my favorite range, a good friend's farm place. It is situated in a nice valley, just a little over 200yds wide from the edge of his yard to a 50' high steep bank where we have a frame set up to tack targets. Hafta hop a small creek to change targets though. Probably could go up to 500 pretty easy by heading out around the barn and crossing the bean field, but then we would be out in the sun and away from the picnic table, grill, etc.. We also shoot .22s at various other closer targets.
Anyway, last Sunday was a little different. My buddy had just picked up a Trius blue rock thrower and mounted it on his picnic table. I ran into him in town and he told me to come on out. I amazingly didn't have a single gun in my truck (there are usually 2 or 3) so we used his shotguns, a 50? year old Browning ou that was his grandads (a very sweet gun), and an old Rem. Sportsman 48(does that sound right?) that had been his dads. We spent the afternoon shootin rocks and b.s., went through a little over 4 boxes of shells and most of a case of rocks. My buddy wanted to keep shooting but the only shells we had left had been his grandads too, some OLD paper hulled Express Long Range 2 3/4" 3 3/4 dr.eq. 1 1/4 oz 4 shot ass kickers. Can you say Magnum? Anyway we had a good time.
B
Old August 11, 1999, 12:22 PM   #2
Kodiac

Sounds like a great time - but you forgot your Guns!?
Tsk Tsk Tsk...

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old August 12, 1999, 01:01 PM   #3
bergie

I didn't forget them, I had taken them out of my old truck that does not lock real securely, (a topless Scout) for what I had thought would be an afternoon of shopping in a larger town (20,000) about 15 miles from my hometown(1500). I am almost never without a firearm, but I would sure hate to be without a couple of them when I walk out of the mall and find my truck empty.
Besides, if I had my usual guns along, I wouldn't have got to shoot his grandads Browning
B
Old August 12, 1999, 02:22 PM   #4
Kodiac

A wise move, certainly... Scouts are one of the best "SUV" ever made.

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE