The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2022, 07:49 AM   #26
hooligan1

I use same system as Tayloce1.
And when I find something to build from I donload a twenty or even more, proof type loads... I dont usually shoot less than 5 rnds to see if theres any interest in data.
However the component shortage has put a stranglehold on testing new bullets for old guns...
I only use hunting type bullets for my Hunting style rifles, they are put together to hit as close to where crosshairs were, when trigger breaks.. Standing or leaned up against a tree, or laying prone, use of logs..
Old November 29, 2022, 07:58 PM   #27
kmw1954

In my Savage 223's I have never had much success in changing seating depth. Though I know many bench shooters that do.

My technique for load workup has been 6 rounds fired in 2 three shot groups shot in round robin form. Load work is in .3gr increments. Those groups that look interesting get loaded again in .1gr either side of the one of interest. The best groups then get loaded into 12 round batches and then fired into 4 three shot groups round robin and then each target is transferred into a composite of the 12. I will then usually repeat that 12 rounds a couple times to see it it is repeatable.