The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2016, 12:10 PM   #151
SARuger

Well mixed results..........

No crimp issues but I squibbed one. 14 went through just fine but #15 didn't. I missed a load somehow. Nothing but primer on that one. It's stuck about a 1/4" into the barrel so I won't have issues getting it out.

I'm disappointed in myself but I won't let it deter me, just make me more determined to double/triple check my work.

The ones that went bang were very accurate.
Old January 9, 2016, 12:28 PM   #152
Metal god

That's to bad . It's very important you recognize what went wrong in your reloading process to cause a charge to be missed . If you don't know what went wrong . There is no way to stop it from happening again .

The one thing that helps prevent this is to batch load . That is to charge all the cases at a particular charge weight and set in reloading blocks before seating the bullets . You then visually inspect all the cases ti make sure they all have powder in them .

Did you use the press as a single stage press as was recommended for your first loads ? It is very easy for a reloader to miss something with a turret or auto indexing press . Even more so if these are the first loads ever loaded .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 9, 2016, 12:58 PM   #153
SARuger

I single staged. But what happened was I showed my son how to decap/prime one round, I set it on the bench then had to take him to his mom's. When I came back I inadvertantly stuck it on the press first to seat the bullet.

Just stupid but a lesson learned
Old January 9, 2016, 03:03 PM   #154
SARuger

All is good again. I soaked the barrel, muzzle up, with Ballistol for an hour. Came back and pushed the round out with a brass rod and some light hammer strikes.

Hey, at least I know what a squib sounds and feels like. I have had this happen in a 10.5" Super Blackhawk. Not my first rodeo with squibs
Old January 10, 2016, 04:34 PM   #155
Road_Clam

It's good that you recognized the squib. I've read horror stories when the shooter fires another round after the squib. I had one as well in my Glock, same deal no charge and the primer had just enough energy to jam the bullet. Smacked out the round with a 3/8" wood dowel. When I load pistol on my LEE turret I have learned to wear a LED head mounted light. I aim the light right at the casing so a quick well lit verification that I correctly charged (and more importantly did not overcharge) the casing before seating the bullet. The light is also helpful when I do 223 .
Old January 10, 2016, 04:40 PM   #156
cw308

SARuger, glad it worked out. I also seated a bullet on an empty case, luckily I cought it, l was distracted, thought about it, weighed all the rounds, found one. I was lucky. After that I double check, after adding powder I check with a penlight while still in loading block & l made a habit of looking into every case before it goes into the shell holder. I shoot with a competition shooter who lost the sight in his right eye by leaving a brass drop plug in his barrel that removed a stuck bullet when ceasefire was called. When the firing line was hot, he chambered a 6mm round blew the chamber. Was flown by helicopter to the hospital. If things like that could happen to a man that has a lot more time behind the trigger then me, Sure made me double check things. Be Safe
Old January 10, 2016, 06:15 PM   #157
SARuger

Thanks guys! We think alike, I purchased two LED book lights today and clamped them to the press. Now I can see into the casing easily and I will know for sure if there is a load there or not.

Right now I'm just playing with the auto-loader, I'm still weighing out my charges(well all but the one).

I tried the charge bar and that thing is erratic with the 4.7gn of Unique that I'm loading with right now so I switched back to the disc. I got anywhere from 4.2 gn to 5.0gn. The 5.3 and 6.1 holes will not charge enough(4.2 and 4.6 respectively) and the 6.6 hole charges too much(5.3gn) I may have to drill out the 6.1 to get the volume I need for this load.

Thoughts?

Last edited by SARuger; January 10, 2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old January 10, 2016, 11:58 PM   #158
Metal god

Quote:
Thoughts?
http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-au...powder-measure

I was having the same issue . The discs never seem to throw the charge I want so I went to the auto drum . It works well but I had one problem with it and I think it was something I was doing wrong so I'll not say what it is . For the prices It's pretty good .

Sorry I did not recommend it earlier . I did not realize you were getting the auto disc . If I would have seen that I would have recommended the auto drum over the auto disc .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 11, 2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old January 11, 2016, 05:29 AM   #159
SARuger

Quote:
http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-au...powder-measure

I was having the same issue . The discs never seem to throw the charge I want so I went to the auto drum . It works well but I had one problem with it and I think it was something I was doing wrong so I'll not say what it is . For the prices It's pretty good .

Sorry I did not recommend it earlier . I did not realize you were getting the auto disc . If I would have seen that I would have recommended the auto drum over the auto disc .
I ordered one last night after reading some reviews.

I'm also having issues with powder clinging to the measure. I'm giving the handle several bumps when loading but it doesn't want to let go. My next step is to run a ground from a nearby water pipe in the house, to discharge all of the static.
Old January 11, 2016, 06:43 PM   #160
alexcue

try some graphite powder on the measure or anything else that contacts the powder. It will help with the static. Don't forget graphite is in the powder to begin with, so as you use it it will do the same thing. This is just quicker.
Old January 15, 2016, 11:00 PM   #161
SARuger

Today went better than last Friday

I loaded 100rds of .38spcl with 4.7gn of Unique pushing a 158gn JSP Sierra and all 100 went BANG!

I used my Ruger Security Six 4", which likes 125gn a little better, and it did just fine at 7yrds.

Probably could have been more accurate if my crimps were more accurate. I have discovered since I use mixed brass that some cases are longer than others and my crimps are anywhere from perfect to too damn tight.

Now I'm going to try some lighter bullets, maybe even cast
Old January 16, 2016, 01:15 AM   #162
THEWELSHM

casting is the way to go mate

thewelshm
Old March 19, 2016, 06:41 AM   #163
SARuger

I have come a long way since I first made this thread!

As the thread stated I knew nothing, I will tell you now, I have a lot to learn. But I have gained so much knowledge about re-loading, re-loading for my firearms, and the sport we all love so much.

Yes I spent way to much money, but its my money! My kids are taken care of, my house payment gets made every month, all my bills are paid, I have reliable transportation.

So with that said, here is my bench. I'm still waiting on my .380 die set and I haven't decided where I'm going to mount my single stage press for my case prep area but other than that, Its done!

I have spent less on my set up than one would think. I like being able to switch out each turret with its dedicated powder measure, run a 20-50 rounds and move to the next caliber. Load work ups are super easy with the Lee Auto Drums.

It is what I dreamed of when I started making purchases 5 months ago and reloading 4 months ago. I have loaded around 1,000 trouble free rounds since then and dialed in one deer rifle and my .44 super blackhawk, still working on others. I load 9mm and .38spcl in 100 round lots now with no issues.

I truly enjoy this new hobby. I may never save enough to get back my initial investment but that isn't why I got into this hobby. It wasn't about saving money. It was about that DIY motto that I live by. If my Jeep needs repair, I do it myself. Same thing with my house. Now I can fix my own ammo too, it works for me!

Old March 19, 2016, 09:12 AM   #164
sghart3578

Outstanding progress!

I looked through this thread and you have received some excellent advice and your results speak for themselves. I would add one small thing if you don't mind.

If I could go back to the beginning of my reloading days I would probably change more than a few things. But if I had to pick one I would say "start taking notes!"

I could have saved a lot of time, money and effort if I had recorded my experiences and not tried to rely on a faulty memory.

Keep up the good work!

Steve in N CA
Old March 19, 2016, 12:13 PM   #165
Metal god

I see you have a magnifying glass there . I used one for awhile but then switched to one of these . Not sure if this is the exact one but mine was not much more if at all . They're nice because you can use both hands on your work and it flips up out of the way if needed or you can look under them like one can do with glasses . They are not real powerful but I've found I just need that little extra to see what I'm doing some times and the fact you use both eyes to focus on the item seem to make high magnification less needed .
http://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Ill...ass+with+light

Old March 19, 2016, 12:37 PM   #166
SARuger

Outstanding progress!

Quote:
I looked through this thread and you have received some excellent advice and your results speak for themselves. I would add one small thing if you don't mind.

If I could go back to the beginning of my reloading days I would probably change more than a few things. But if I had to pick one I would say "start taking notes!"

I could have saved a lot of time, money and effort if I had recorded my experiences and not tried to rely on a faulty memory.

Keep up the good work!

Steve in N CA
I write down every load and make notes as to accuracy, if it cycles well, recoil and any pressure signs.

The advice given on here has been outstanding! This group has been very patient with me and I appreciate it!

Quote:
I see you have a magnifying glass there . I used one for awhile but then switched to one of these . Not sure if this is the exact one but mine was not much more if at all . They're nice because you can use both hands on your work and it flips up out of the way if needed or you can look under them like one can do with glasses . They are not real powerful but I've found I just need that little extra to see what I'm doing some times and the fact you use both eyes to focus on the item seem to make high magnification less needed .
http://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Ill...ass+with+light
I have a set like that but they are not lighted. My problem is wearing something on my head, besides a baseball cap, drives me nuts! I have one of those magnifiers that mounts to the work bench and is lighted with LED's but I haven't mounted it yet. The little magnifier glass works good for inspecting brass just before it gets cycled, if I see something out of place.