The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 20, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
scorpion_tyr

Suppressor in TX?

I know I can legally get one, but I was just wondering exactly what I had to do. As far as I know I just have to purchase it from a legal dealer, pay $200 tax, and carry the tax stamp anywhere I carry the suppressor.

Am I completely accurate in this? Also is there any sort of background check? (I'll pass, just curious)

I have weapons in .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I know I can get sub-sonic 9mm rounds, are any of the other calibers better at being suppressed?

Last but not least: Is the little bit of the barrel that sticks out of a Taurus PT 92 enough to get threaded and attach a suppressor or do i need to get a new barrrel?
Old February 20, 2010, 09:01 PM   #2
oldcspsarge

You will have to make your purchase from a Class 3 dealer. You will need to be finger printed and have 2 passport photos for the transfer form. Yoy pay for the supressor up front and wait for the transfer approval.

Once the local police chief or sheriff signs it for you, the dealer will send it with your $ 200 to BATF. Your approved transfer will come back to the dealer in about 90 days AFTER the FBI clears your finger-prints and BATF does a complete background check. You will have to have a copy of your form and tax stamp with the supressor to prove it is legally registered to you.

Replacement threaded barrels are available for just about every firearm.

It is fun shooting pistols without hearing protection. Enjoy !
Old February 20, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
paull

Quote:
Am I completely accurate in this? Also is there any sort of background check? (I'll pass, just curious)
yes, talk to your dealer, they'll walk you through the process...
Quote:
I have weapons in .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I know I can get sub-sonic 9mm rounds, are any of the other calibers better at being suppressed?
The rounds that are naturally subsonic are easier to supress, naturally.
Of course, if you slow down any round enough, it is subsonic.
Quote:
Last but not least: Is the little bit of the barrel that sticks out of a Taurus PT 92 enough to get threaded and attach a suppressor or do i need to get a new barrrel?
no, and yes..., see the post above.
Old February 20, 2010, 11:14 PM   #4
paull

To add...
If'n yer like me...
Get a .22 suppressor and some full-auto .22 fun and have a relatively cheap and quiet blast.
Above all, have fun.
p
Old February 20, 2010, 11:37 PM   #5
David Hineline

One small correction, just like any firearm you can buy one at 18 from an individual in your own state of residence, you must be 21 to buy from a dealer.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:11 AM   #6
scorpion_tyr

Thanks for all the info! If the tax refund doesn't go as fast as last years did I'll probably be taking part in this section of the forum more often
Old February 21, 2010, 09:23 AM   #7
flight954

If your in or near Houston you can get cans from Robert @ Talon Arms or the Arms Room. Both are great dealers. Robert at Talon is very informative on class 3/NFA and an all around good guy. If you want to set up a trust you can use Sean Cody, he's a sponsor on Texas Gun Talk. As is Robert .
Old February 22, 2010, 10:01 PM   #8
kephers

class 3

You can also go around all the fingerprint/cleo signature hassle by using a corporation or a trust to purchase your class 3.
Old February 23, 2010, 12:58 PM   #9
1911austin

If you are near Austin check out http://www.texasgunstore.com/
Old February 24, 2010, 09:56 PM   #10
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
You can also go around all the fingerprint/cleo signature hassle by using a corporation or a trust to purchase your class 3.
Does it have to be a corporation or a trust? I know a few people that own their own businesses. Can any business buy the class 3? Also if I don't work for or have any connections with said business, would it be a straw purchase if the friends who own them bought them through the business using my money and just handed them over?
Old February 24, 2010, 11:08 PM   #11
David Hineline

A corporation or trust is more hassle than getting a set of fingerprints.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:44 PM   #12
MrM4

I agree with Dave unless you have a hard time getting a sign off go the private route.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:17 AM   #13
n7qvu

"A corporation or trust is more hassle than getting a set of fingerprints."

Probably depends on what state you live. In AZ, it took me about 2 weeks and approx $50.(don't recall exact) to set up a LLC. Another $10 to setup a tradename so that my LLC didn't have 'gun' in it's name.
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.