The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 16, 2019, 12:53 PM   #1
nanney1

Gen 5 Glock 17

I've shot several Glocks in the last year and a half. 19, 43, 26, 22, 27, and 20. All were good to shoot and I liked them all in some respects. However, this weekend I shot a new Glock 17 Gen 5.

It was really good to shoot. Low recoil, soft shooter, good trigger, and accurate (for me). I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed shooting this pistol.

After shooting all of the Glocks listed above, I had begun to lean more toward the M&P 2.0 line of pistols. But this Gen 5 17 has me re-thinking Glock.
Old May 16, 2019, 01:12 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

The differences in the so-called Generations are primarily cosmetic. Slides and frames are the same. I find Glocks to be kind of slippery myself. Easily fixed with the Pachmayr glove though.
Old May 16, 2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Tallest

T O'Heir has a solid point, but I wonder if the marksman barrel added to the Gen 5 line helps with the accuracy you noticed. I currently haven't shot any Gen 5s, but your description fits my Gen 4 G17 to a T.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 16, 2019, 01:52 PM   #4
TunnelRat

The differences aren't just cosmetic. There are internal parts changes that I personally like. There are also a number of people, myself included, that find they shoot the Gen 5 better than previous generations they've owned. It's possible we're all suffering some mass hysteria, but I don't think that's the case. I eventually sold my other Gen 3 Glock 19 for another Gen 5. If you like it then great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 16, 2019, 02:22 PM   #5
nanney1

I should have mentioned that all of the previous Glocks I listed above were Gen 4's with the exception of the 43 which is almost a Gen 5.
Old May 16, 2019, 04:08 PM   #6
JDBerg

I did upgrades on my Gen3 G-17, which were Wilson Combat Vickers Elite F.O. front & Battlesight rear sights ($90) and the Apex Enhanced Action trigger kit ($130). So I don’t miss the fact that I can’t get a Gen5 here in the PRC in the first place.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:33 AM   #7
greentick

I also got a G17 gen5 recently and love it. I got a G20 in 1991 and a G26 in 1996ish. There was a G19 in there as well but when the 26 came along the 19 went to a friend. I was a poor student at the time.

Anyhow, I shot the new G17 the day after getting my hands on it and then shot a 2gun match the next day. I thought is was very soft shooting with 115gr rounds and with the magpul 21rd mags you can shoot a bunch before reloading. I do like the flared magwell. I thought it shot very accurately but don't have a big enough, objective sample to say it's due to the new barrel rifling. I do like that they returned to no finger grooves (my G20 and G19 didn't have them). I think some ppl like the grooves and Glock should keep it as a factory option.

I ended up getting one with the forward serrations and the slide cut for an RDS. I haven't decided if I like the serrations or not. I haven't put an RDS on it yet but that's on the radar.

I put a ghost 3.5 connector in it after the match and lightened the trigger safety spring. I may put the factory connector back in, it seems to be coated in something very slick and strangely enough I like the feel of it.

All in all, I liked it more than I thought I would (and I knew I would like it lol). If you can get one on the "blue label" program it's a great deal as well.
Old May 17, 2019, 05:59 AM   #8
OhioGuy

Yes these latest Glocks are making me become more Glock-friendly too. I do like the Gen 5 17 and 19.

I was also really surprised by the new 43x/48 wonder twins. I mocked them at first like everyone else, but when I shot them I was pretty surprised at how easily they shot and how slim they are.

There's a company advertising 15 round steel mags for the 43x/48 available this summer -- if that's reality and they work reliably, I don't know, maybe you'll want to go that route vs. the 17 or 19? At least if carry will ever be a consideration for this particular gun. That little bit of width reduction makes a surprising difference in concealment.
Old May 17, 2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Yes these latest Glocks are making me become more Glock-friendly too. I do like the Gen 5 17 and 19.

I was also really surprised by the new 43x/48 wonder twins. I mocked them at first like everyone else, but when I shot them I was pretty surprised at how easily they shot and how slim they are.

There's a company advertising 15 round steel mags for the 43x/48 available this summer -- if that's reality and they work reliably, I don't know, maybe you'll want to go that route vs. the 17 or 19? At least if carry will ever be a consideration for this particular gun. That little bit of width reduction makes a surprising difference in concealment.
Can you name the company advertising the 15 rnd mags?

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 17, 2019, 08:06 AM   #10
USNRet93

I have a Gen 4 and son has a gen 5..-17...I like the finger grooves, he does not..BUT Yes, both, IMHO, really great shooters..reliable, fun to shoot.

Gotta mention, other son has a G45..and that TOO, is a very nice shooter.

BUT, Glock thread, I'm sure somebody will start to slam them and mention how great their 'fixed' Sig 320 is..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 17, 2019, 08:38 AM   #11
precision_shooter

I like all my Glocks, Gen 3, 4, and 5.
I have a G17 9mm, G45 9mm, G20 10mm and G40 MOS 10mm with vortex red dot sight. All of my Glocks get a 3.5 trigger connector and usually extended slide release lever. All are inexpensive mods ($12-$15 each) but worth it to me. They all go bang when I want them too and hit where I point them. Also, a side note, the Gen5 frames are equal to the gen4 and earlier SF models on the full size guns like the 20 and 40. Add the medium grip extension = the gen 4 and earlier non-sf model. The large grip gives a even larger grip for those with giant paws.

I also recently bought a Sig P320 x5. While it won’t replace any of my Glocks, I really like that pistol as well. Fits my hand well and came with 4 22 round mags. Plus, Sig reps were on sight when I bought it so they threw in 3 boxes of 124gr Sig ammo and some swag so that may have swayed me a little too.

I plan to buy more Glock models. No other sig models interest me.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 17, 2019, 08:55 AM   #12
TCphoto

After buying an APX Centurion, I was starting to think about a full size frame, I narrowed it down to a G17 Gen5 and a Sig P320. I'd read good things about the M&P 2.0's but it just didn't fit my hand well and I didn't care for the trigger. I recently found a G17 Gen5 MOS with AmeriGlo sights that the owner said had less than 100 rounds through it for $500. I bought it, took it to the range and I'm happy with it. Everyone's hand is different, go to your local gun range and rent a couple to confirm what works for you.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:14 AM   #13
mr bolo

Im suspicious about the new Gen 5 finish, the marksman barrels seem to have a standard black finish that wear off after a short time, sometimes noticeable wear after firing a couple boxes of ammo?

I suspect the barrels were contracted out and mfg by another maker for cost cutting

my Gen 3 shows no wear on the barrel after over 1000 rds, the Gen 5 shows wear right away? definitely an inferior quality finish.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:44 AM   #14
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Im suspicious about the new Gen 5 finish, the marksman barrels seem to have a standard black finish that wear off after a short time, sometimes noticeable wear after firing a couple boxes of ammo?

I suspect the barrels were contracted out and mfg by another maker for cost cutting

my Gen 3 shows no wear on the barrel after over 1000 rds, the Gen 5 shows wear right away? definitely an inferior quality finish.
They may have changed the barrel process, but they didn't sub it out. One of Glock's big things is keeping every aspect of manufacture in-house.

Old May 18, 2019, 09:02 PM   #15
mdThanatos

I have the 2.0, Gen 4 17 and Gen 5 17. I still like the 2.0 best but the Gen 5 comes in second. I like them all but that's my preference. The Gen 5 feels better to shoot for me.
Old May 19, 2019, 05:00 PM   #16
nanney1

I’ve only shot my Gen5 17 three times now, but I’m seeing improvement each time. Today was my best range day ever, regardless of pistol. Previously, I had shot my M&P 2.0’s best and my best Glock was my 43. Today, I’m pretty sure I shot the 17 better than any other pistol to date, including rentals.

Planned to shoot my M&P 2.0 3.6” in an IDPA local match next weekend. Instead, I came home from the range and ordered a holster for the Gen5 17 because I plan to shoot it instead.
Old May 20, 2019, 07:32 AM   #17
Ruger45LC

I've had two Gen5 Glocks, a G26 Gen5 and the G45. At first I didn't think much of the Gen5's prior to owning them but after owning them, I have to say that I really like them. The internal workings of the trigger is a bit different than previous generation Glocks, it's got a shorter reset and overall I like it better. Personally I'm not a 9mm guy at all, I did get rid of the guns but if they ever release .40/.45 Gen5's, I'd be all over them.
Old June 6, 2019, 09:56 PM   #18
EIGHTYDUECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

The finish on the barrel is not different and is not the cause of the premature finish wear. It is because they thickened the front of the slide. When the slide retracts and the barrel tilts down, the thicker front of the slide at that tilt angle impacts the barrel harder because of less clearance causing the "sig smile" wear that you see. If i could draw you a cross section picture to better help explain, i would. It is geometry.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH

Last edited by EIGHTYDUECE; June 7, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old June 8, 2019, 12:08 PM   #19
Sequins

I've shot gen 4/5 models 17 and 19. The gen 5 feels lighter and tighter to me, slightly different recoil impulse. I shoot the 4s I've had forever better. I think the difference is all in my head though, really.
Old June 8, 2019, 01:13 PM   #20
TxFlyFish

I miss finger grooves...I’ve slipped grabbing a Big Mac and gen 5 back to back. Maybe it was the thousand island dressing who knows...but after that incidence I just can’t fully trust the gen 5
Old June 8, 2019, 11:11 PM   #21
greentick

I'm sort of surprised that they don't just offer an option with finger grooves. I prefer no grooves but have a buddy who loves them. Figured he wasn't the only one.
Old June 10, 2019, 04:33 PM   #22
vba

Yeh, I like the grooves as well.
Old June 10, 2019, 05:06 PM   #23
AK103K

I guess if you want finger grooves, you just buy a Gen 3 or 4. If you dont, buy a Gen 5.

I have Gens 2-5, and I really dont see any real difference in how they feel or shoot. Other than maybe the textured finish. To me, that difference is more important than the finger grooves. I wish they were all the RTF2 texture.

I also keep hearing about the Gen 5's barrels being different and more accurate. Im not seeing any major shift in accuracy, but I really havent tried to shoot it off a rest to prove it one way or the other either.

At least its no worse than any other Glock Ive owned or shot.
Old June 10, 2019, 05:57 PM   #24
TunnelRat

The finger grooves never really bothered me, but idk if they helped. When I go back and shoot my Gen 3 G26 sometimes I miss them on my Gen 5 G19. That said the texture is good enough that I don't think I need them. I do think on sub compact and smaller pistols they might help if all you had was two fingers, but that likely varies by person.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 12, 2019, 08:36 PM   #25
wild cat mccane

Didn't we typically ridicule "match grade" barrels as gimmicky. Ie, XD to XD-M get ridiculed for the "whatever they called it match barrel"?

Still haven't heard what makes the Gen5 barrel different. Technically. Hope that isn't my ignorance, just haven't run across it.

Either that or Glock got smart and didn't use the words Match Grade.