The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 17, 2006, 07:09 PM   #1
bobhwry

Life expectancy of TFL??

I know TFL is 8 years old with hundreds of thousands of posts and replies and a wealth of information exchanged between members. It is and has served as a great source of knowledge and opinions on firearms.
But quite frankly it's getting really boring here. New and interesting posts are waning rapidly IMO. Seems like every gun comparison that can be made has been made many times over. Same goes for the "What should I buy next" posts.
Perhaps if the search function was more effective it might reduce replicating the same posts ad nauseum!!
Of course I fully expect some of you will say"If you don't like it, move on", and thats fine, that's an option.
Just wondering if anyone feels the same way or have any suggestions on how to pump a little more life into this forum??
Old October 17, 2006, 08:52 PM   #2
RevoRick

Its all new to newcomers. I am still reading new and interesting things to me.
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old October 17, 2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Rangefinder

I suppose in terms of the life-span of TFL so far, I'm still a teen--year or so of activity. I migrate in off and on, sometimes I'm here several times a day for weeks at a time, sometimes I don't make it back for a couple. But there are always those with questions, and there are always those with answers. At various times, I'm one or the other, sometimes both at the same time. But so long as the common interest of firearms still exists, I kinda have the feeling we'll be gathering for all the same reasons for a long time to come. There is always something to be learned, and something to share. It's a wonderful place for such a wealth of knowledge to call "home".

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 17, 2006, 10:29 PM   #4
45RackerTracker

Hey Bob, we could have beat on your favorite or least favorite politician Tuesdays. Maybe we could think of some current events that effect our 2nd ammendment liberties and poke fun at that. Hey man if you're bored go shoot something, it always makes me feel better. Something = inanimate objects. Since you asked for entertainment you now have to think of something to entertain all of us. Do you think that you no longer have anything to learn out there? I heard someone say that if the aforementioned were true you'd probably be dead. So, thank god you're alive and try to find something new, in everything you do. It's really not that hum drum you know?
Old October 18, 2006, 12:25 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

So, why not do something about it?

Inject some interest into the boards instead of coming here and basically saying "SERVE MY INTERESTS/ENTERTAIN ME!"

Jesus H. Christ with a Gatling Gun...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 18, 2006, 03:50 AM   #6
tyme
Staff

Quote:
...ENTERTAIN ME!
What?! The Festival has arrived here? The collected posts of TFL should be worth at least a cornucopia machine.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old October 18, 2006, 08:26 AM   #7
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...it's getting really boring here.
Perhaps your interests would be better served by another board. Seriously. If you're bored here, I don't think you're all that interested in firearms.

Open up Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research and look around a little. Then tell me that you already knew everything you read and that you're still bored.

Old November 3, 2006, 11:14 PM   #8
sm

I still read threads by Gabe, labgrade, CRSam, Mike Irwin and many others and always learn something from them.

I still have not learned all there is about the Hottentots.

Steve
Old November 4, 2006, 03:05 AM   #9
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

The answer never changes:

If there's nothing interesting being posted, post something interesting.
Old November 4, 2006, 08:29 AM   #10
Tim Burke

Bored in 7 months? I'm not sure that's a function of TFL.
Old November 10, 2006, 04:42 PM   #11
Big Calhoun

It's the normal life of an Internet forum. I mod at a cellphone forum and we typically have 3000 or so users at any one time. I and a couple of others handle the 'Lounge'. At any time of day, there are at least 130 people viewing. But on some days, in a 4 hour period, you may get 1 new thread and 3 new replies, even though there's at least 100 heads looking through the messages. Ebb and flow...peaks and valley.

I still learn things by coming to this forum and some of the anecdotal threads are fun to read through. Especially when people add new stories. Gotta agree with the previous sentiment that if there's nothing interesting to read, there's nothing preventing you from adding something interesting.
Old November 10, 2006, 05:14 PM   #12
Wildalaska

I wish there was a space for general non gun hobnobbing, exchanging recipes and suchlike but hey, not my bandwidth and regardless, its cool here...

WildexceptforthewhiningsometimesgetagripguysAlaska
Old November 10, 2006, 07:04 PM   #13
CobrayCommando

This forum is a little more quiet and specifically firearms oriented then the High Road.
Old November 10, 2006, 08:12 PM   #14
bennnn

I have a lot to say regarding the subject of the OP in this thread.....
And, I'm going to say it, because I can .... But later....

Right now I'm in a hurry so I'm going to use my editing skills to pick the OP apart and give you what you want Bob..................... More life pumped in, but only in this, the GD forum (thread),,,, pun intended of course......

Here's what I got out of the tone of the OP,,,,
Quote:
Quite frankly it's getting really boring here, TFL is 8 years old. Seems like every gun comparison that can be made has been made many times over, new and interesting posts are waning rapidly IMO.
Of course, some will say "If you don't like it, move on", I fully expect some of you will say that's an option.

Just wondering if anyone feels the same way?
I wanted to pick that post apart so I could offer a more direct reply later, I didn't change anything about what you're really saying, just cleaned it up a little,,,,....... And left out the parts where you tried to soften it up.
To me, it sounds as if YOU are done with TFL, and that's OK with me, but I am not... This is a community, with active members, and I am glad to be one of them... We may bicker a little once in a while, and beat some subjects almost to death, but new questions always arise...

More later if this thread isn't closed... I'm sure the staff members want to know how the community feels about this subject,,, but it might get nipped in the bud....

Do we have a pulse yet?
Old November 11, 2006, 01:02 PM   #15
Edward429451

This place is anything but boring. A little monotonous at times but if you keep reading..all kind of gems & jewels jump up at you. How to's, customs, basics, insanely wilds, political discourse, chatting with foes, friends, & possible future enemies...THATS boring?!

Intelligent women, newbies, masters, soldiers, LEO's, the occassional gangbanger, everything from poorman technology to guys with home based manufacturing facilities, PC posturing, Non-PC posturing, kids, oldtimers, even the occassional troll all coming together at once makes for some serious (enlightenment and entertainment) stew. The head chef allows anyone to add a little salt, but not add 5 lbs of cayenne all at once which would ruin the stew and it's oversall aroma. Respectable, impartial, but not stupid. Good job.

If you want a meal, but are allergic to onions, and find yourself trying to pick them out of the stew... maybe this isn't the place for you. No wonder you're bored.

I think this place is an encyclopedia and could be printed into a huge set of books verbatim, and would be a best seller. Possibly even be banned in the future.
Old November 11, 2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Maser

Well, it depends on what other forum you are comparing this forum to. If you are comparing it to myspace or something, then yeah, this forum is way boring compared to myspace. I'm not sure about other members here, but my online life consists of MANY different hobbies and interests. I have only been here less than a year and have been pretty pleased here. Sure, I got off to a bad start maybe, but I eventually got on the right track. The members here are very nice and aren't mean and nasty if I make a bad post or something. I get corrected in a decent, respectable, and mature way.

I sure hope this site stays around a very long time to that I can share stories about when I turn 18 next year and buy my first long gun, when i'm 21 and buy my first handgun, and finally when I get out of Cali and buy my first NFA firearm. I know for a fact the regualrs at this site will be more than happy to help me out with whatever problems that may occur.

Sorry mods/admins for the bit of brown nosing.