The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 27, 2018, 05:55 PM   #1
spyshot

T/CR22 Hammer Upgrade

Just bought this rifle and I find that the trigger, while much better than the stock 10/22 trigger, could still use some work. While the pull is not as much as the Ruger, there is a lot of creep.

I've had a Ruger 10/22 for some time now and have upgraded hammer and springs from Power Custom with what they call their Competition Hammer Kit. The improvement was well worth the $35 price tag. The Ruger now has a lighter trigger with a cleaner break and much less creep. The kit includes a new hammer, hammer spring and trigger reset spring.

I checked around when I bought the T/CR22 to see if anyone has upgraded any parts on the trigger group, etc. and did not find anything. I also called Power Custom and the gentleman I spoke to said they have not tested their 10/22 parts on the T/CR22 yet.

I decided to pull the Power Custom Parts out of my 10/22 and put them in my T/CR22 to see what would happen...

Here is what I found out....

From Left to Right: T/C Hammer, Power Custom Hammer, Ruger Hammer. As you can see the T/C Hammer is machined as one piece with the bushings/spacers, where the PC and Ruger are separate.

This is a comparison between the T/C (left) and the Ruger (right) hammer spring retainers. I found that when I put the PC hammer spring on the retainer on the T/C that the spring was compressed more than when the PC spring was installed on the Ruger retainer. I don't have a picture, but the T/C hammer spring was a bit shorter than the PC hammer spring and the Ruger hammer spring. Yes I should've snapped a picture, but I forgot.

I ended up installing the PC Hammer, trigger reset spring and hammer spring in the T/C. I found that the hammer spring was definitely too stiff. I could feel the extra pull weight when pulling the trigger and I could also feel it when retracting the bolt.

The PC hammer and PC trigger reset spring went in and functioned fine. The PC hammer of course required the use of the Ruger hammer bushings that are pictured.

The final result is that I used the PC Hammer with the bushings/spacers from the Ruger, PC trigger reset spring and the original T/C hammer spring.

In the end the trigger has improved greatly and again I think justifies the $35 price tag to get the Power Custom kit, but you would have to include the bushings from a 10/22. The trigger seams lighter (I do not have a pull gauge) and the creep is gone.

I test fired about 150 rounds so far from 12 different types of 22LR ammo and got spectacular results. The only failures I had were from low velocity loads that didn't work consistently on my other semi-autos either. I did several drop and impact tests, etc. and found that this setup works properly.

Kind of confusing but I wanted to share that information with the community.

Last edited by spyshot; December 27, 2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old December 27, 2018, 06:58 PM   #2
9x19

Thanks for the info.

The separate bushing/hammers are many years ago in the life of the 10/22, recent production 10/22s have the same style hammer as the T/C. Volquartsen now includes bushings with their replacement hammers... not sure about Power.

These pictures of old style vs new style 10/22 hammers are from Jan 2009.

Old December 27, 2018, 08:05 PM   #3
spyshot

Cool. Thanks for the update. I forgot that I was dealing with an older 10/22.
Do you know if there was a change on the hammer spring from old to new 10/22?
Old December 27, 2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Pahoo

Upgrades

Quote:
Competition Hammer Kit. The improvement was well worth the $35 price tag.
I have followed the many changes that the 10/22 has gone thru and regardless of the generation, these kits will give you the most bang for your buck, on upgrades. I prefer the Volts over the Power-Custom, only because of some minor issues. ……

At a recent G.S. I was lucky enough to buy an older generation trigger housing. The seller bought the new Ruger target housing and had no use for the old one. I did the upgrade on it and now have a spare complete target housing. Now when I do an upgrade on a 10/22, all I have to do, is swap out the housing and it only takes about a minute to do so. ….
Of all the generational changes that Ruger has issued to make it cheaper, I still do not understand why they don't go to a Poly buffer like Marlin has done since day-1, as well as an auto bolt release. If they want to save money, this would be another way.

Quote:
Do you know if there was a change on the hammer spring from old to new 10/22?
Not on their standard and perhaps not even on the target models. I have disassembled one of their "Target" models and other than the barrel and hammer, there really isn't much there. I'm saying that you can do better, on your own.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 28, 2018, 07:46 AM   #5
9x19

Spyshot,

I've seen nothing different with the hammer spring or the strut.