The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 13, 2018, 10:51 PM   #26
Eazyeach

Well seems kinda useless for me to say shoot it after 25 posts. But please shoot that gun. Every gun I own, I own to shoot. No safe queens here. I baby a couple very nice guns(S&W 27-2 , Colt Python, Diamondback) but I still shoot them. Used not abused.
Old December 13, 2018, 10:52 PM   #27
Drm50

If you get a NIB S&W in the P&R models, I would say don't shoot it and sell it to buy a hi condition shooter and pocket the profit. What you have is a hi codition shooter with box & docs, tools. The box serialed to gun is added value too. I would shoot it myself and leave
the box & stuff alone put aside for when you may sell in future. I you are a guy like me I
buy used Smith in box if gun isn't NIB or near mint I have been known to sell box and contents.
Old December 13, 2018, 11:20 PM   #28
Hawg

I would have shot it as soon as I got home with it.
Old December 14, 2018, 07:56 AM   #29
CajunBass

I'm not a "shoot it" guy. Most of the guns I've got, I've never fired, but that's not say they have never been fired, just that I haven't for one reason or another.

So, don't do what I do, do what I tell you to do. It's a gun. It's not the Hope Diamond. You're not going to put your grand-kids through medical school with it. A pristine Model 15 (dash number doesn't really matter) with box and papers might, MIGHT, bring $750.00 around here. That's a high number actually, as the market is soft right now, and a Model 15 is a pretty mundane gun. (How much did you give for the one you've got?) A run of the mill used one, with holster wear, normal scratches, and aftermarket grips, no box or papers, will bring $450, maybe $500.00.

How important is the difference?

BTW. My 15-2 was also made in 1966.

John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; December 14, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old December 14, 2018, 10:10 AM   #30
riverdog

Your S&W 15-2 is 50 years overdue for a trip to the range. I’d be gentle though, target loads only; if you need to shoot +P get a Model 19. If you can find some Buffalobore Standard Pressure .38 Special, try out a box and see if that old S&W doesn’t come to life.

Note: I tend to be gentle to my S&W K-frame revolvers, but if you feel a need for muzzle flash and recoil, go for it.
Old December 14, 2018, 10:22 AM   #31
nmsteve

OK everyone, I guess I'm going to shoot it, I don't really care about the money, although I saw the one on Harry Viezen's that went for $1350, and this one is older and nicer, less of a cylinder line, box and paperwork more complete, that's the reason I was undecided, I use all my guns, nothing sets in the safe, so I know if I keep it then it will get used a lot. I think I'll opt for the selfish route and shoot it, I won't have a chance to shoot a nearly new one ever again. Thanks for the opinions, I'm going out to the range to give it a go right now.
Steve
ps
to answer I paid $500 for it, and Cajun Bass, that's a nice looking gun.
sf

Last edited by nmsteve; December 14, 2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old December 14, 2018, 10:56 AM   #32
John D

Shot my Colt Python last week...I bet there are thousands sitting in safes because the owners "don't want to affect their value". I sure enjoy that trigger.....
Old December 15, 2018, 10:08 AM   #33
CajunBass

I'd say $500.00 is a good price for one in the condition you describe. It wasn't a screaming deal, but you did OK. I'd have figured my dealer would have it tagged at $575-600 and if it went fast, great...but if it stayed around the case for a month or so, they'd have taken maybe 10% off. I doubt it would have stayed very long. I might have bought it myself. I'm a sucker for diamond grips, and a 4" barrel. They look like lost puppies.

The one I've got I paid $400.00 for about ten years ago, private sale. The seller had started at $600, and gradually dropped it when he got no offers. I wasn't planning to buy it myself, but when it dropped to $400, I figured the diamond targets were worth a good chunk of that. I'm too cheap to letter it, but I believe the stocks are original to the gun since it's got the target hammer, trigger, and trigger stop. The target stocks would have made the package. The pictures don't show it, but it has some scratches around the S&W logo, probably from a holster strap. Still a really nice gun.

How'd yours shoot? Silly question really. It's a Model 15. They didn't call them the "Combat Masterpiece" for no reason.

(I think "Combat Masterpiece" is maybe the best name for a firearm, ever, rivaled only by the Colt "Peacemaker.")
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 15, 2018, 11:00 AM   #34
ThomasT

Quote:
Hi, new guy here seeking opinions. I was a LEO in the 70's and carried a S&W model 15 sidearm. It went away many decades ago but I always missed it. Recently I heard of a guy with a model 15-2 for sale so I picked it up, wanting to do some shooting with it. Turns out it is a 15-2 made in 1966, still in the blue box with warranty card and unopened accessory packet, nearly flawless except for a light cylinder line. It's so pretty I'm thinking twice about using it. After all it's lasted in nearly mint condition for over 50 years and I know myself well enough to know if I use it, it will get used. So what do you think? Go ahead and enjoy it, or pass it on to someone who will preserve it? can't upload pic, too computer illiterate.
Well there you go. Someone else had it for 50 years and never got to use it or enjoy it the way it was designed to be used. Never enjoyed poking holes in paper or feeling it on their hip while walking through the woods or guarding the home from bad guys. A waste in my opinion.

You bought it. Now keep it and shoot it. A model 15 has been my HD gun for many years. Mine was a police turn in. My uncle was a Ft Worth cop and picked it up for me. I have shot hundreds or rounds through it. What a nice gun. No way I would sell it. You don't see these much anymore. Too many have disappeared in collections and they only show up when the owner dies and the kiddies sell daddy's guns.
Old December 15, 2018, 04:17 PM   #35
K_Mac

Your decision to shoot it is what I would do. For those who choose to accumulate pristine guns, cars, boats, watches or anything else, whether for profit, history, ego or compulsion, more power to you! For me the joy of ownership comes with use. I appreciate fine things, but the above items are made for use, not as objects of art. Even when displayed as art a little wear showing the appearance of age and use add to the historical significance in my opinion.
Old December 15, 2018, 07:10 PM   #36
joed

SHOOT IT! To many people question shooting an older gun. I have a Colt Officers Target from 1930, I shoot it every chance I get.

I even owned a mod 15-2 from the timeframe you mentioned. I shot it a lot too. Sold it to a good friend a few years ago because he kept asking me to sell it to him.
Old December 16, 2018, 08:21 AM   #37
jetinteriorguy

I have a nice model 15 that I only shoot occasionally, but I do have a model 67 that I shoot the snot out of so I get the best of both worlds. I carry the 67 in my car every day and put a few hundred rounds a month through it. Love that gun, it just works for me.
Old December 16, 2018, 08:24 AM   #38
Troop362

I agree with MetalBoy
Old December 16, 2018, 08:42 AM   #39
lunger

Quote:
Too many have disappeared in collections and they only show up when the owner dies and the kiddies sell daddy's guns.
This happens all too often. Life is short. Enjoy it.
Old December 17, 2018, 10:26 AM   #40
nmsteve

Well it's not 'pristine" anymore, I put 250 rds of wadcutters through it this weekend, boy I love it. First revolver I've fired in a long time. thanks for the feedback from everyone, especially about the "kiddies" selling everything off. I'm pretty sure the only one in my family who would keep my guns would be my brother, and he's older and sicker than me, lol.
Old December 18, 2018, 04:37 PM   #41
AmmunitionDepot

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it rather than letting it sit.
Old December 19, 2018, 12:30 AM   #42
ifithitu

I'd shoot it and shoot it some more.
Old December 19, 2018, 08:35 AM   #43
5whiskey

Quote:
Shoot it and treat it gently at the range. Clean it after each trip. It'll stay good looking and retain it's value pretty well.
I agree with this, and all the others that note it already has a (albeit faint) turn line. It's not unfired. Shoot it, enjoy it, take care of it. Shooting a quality firearm does very little to hurt it, if you keep your head about it. Don't shoot a full diet of super hot +P ammo, and guard against rust. Limit holster draws to prevent bluing wear, and keep it clean. It will look virtually the same after 5 years and 5000 rounds as it does now, except the turn line may be a little more noticeable.

All that being said, shoot it!

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old December 19, 2018, 09:58 PM   #44
mellow_c

I'm a little late to the party, but thought I'd post anyway, despite the fact that you already shot it. And congratulations to you for that!

If it was unfired, I would not have shot it. I'd keep it around as an investment, and buy any old used one to shoot instead

The best way that I know of to tell if a revolver is still in new condition is to look at the back of the frame, right behind the cylinder, where the firing pin comes through (the breech face). If that area is perfectly clean with no noticeable wear to the bluing other than from the cylinder being opened and closed, then it might actually be unfired. Even if there is a light turn line around the cylinder it may still be unfired, because obviously, you can dry fire and work the action over and over and that will cause a turn line to develop even if the gun has never been fired outside of factory testing.

If the gun has been fired, there should be circular marks on the frame where the firing pin comes through from where the fired case has slammed back against the frame during firing.

Also look for circles and or burn marks on the front face of the cylinder... If it looks perfectly clean with no discoloration or marks, that may also be an indication that the gun has not been fired.

Last edited by mellow_c; December 21, 2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old December 22, 2018, 06:47 AM   #45
Ibmikey

My safes hold some pretty rare and expensive firearms....nary a one has escaped my enjoyment firing them including some that survived “ unfired” for many, many years. Why save a pistol for another to gain the euphoria of the first shot? Shoot and enjoy .
Old December 25, 2018, 06:45 PM   #46
Shadow9mm

It was bade to be shot, shoot it.
Old December 27, 2018, 08:45 AM   #47
Barr

Take great care of it and shoot it. Its not a good car gun or carry gun since its in such fine condition, make a great night stand gun though!
Old December 28, 2018, 08:45 AM   #48
M88

Yet one more SHOOT IT! Glad you seem to agree OP! Life is just to short for safe queens unless they are truly mint condition new in box never fired and RARE. Yours isn't.
Old December 28, 2018, 09:09 AM   #49
rodfac

Quote:
Why save a pistol for another to gain the euphoria of the first shot? Shoot and enjoy.
I'm with Ibemikey, Go ahead and enjoy it...but then, I'm a shooter not a collector, and that M15 is meant for shooting. I was issued one for my first tour in Vietnam...wish I had it now just for old times sake, but I'd shoot it if it were in my safe. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 1, 2019, 10:07 AM   #50
nmsteve

Thanks to all of you, I'm enjoying shooting it but it, like all my gun's it won't look pristine for long, if I use a gun, I use it. My Browning 9mm I've had since 68 is on it's 5th refinish, 3rd set of springs and second replacement barrel, lol. I found my old service belt and speed loaders from the 70's, been having fun thinking about how nice it was when I wasn't an old geezer.