The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 8, 2016, 12:29 AM   #1
theliberalgunowner

Deleting TFL Account/Profile

Dear TFL,

I have looked around and tried to find how to delete my profile/account, but haven't found anything. Could I get some help? I really appreciate it, and I hope your new year goes well!

Sincerely,

theliberalgunowner

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. -Edith Wharton
Old January 8, 2016, 12:35 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Accounts are not typically deleted. If a member wishes to end their participation at TFL, the way to do so is to simply stop posting.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:08 AM   #3
g.willikers

It's apparently a common approach on forums.
I got the same answer on another forum I hadn't participated at for a long time.
No way to unsubscribe, other than not logging on.
And even the ones that supposedly can be unsubscribed don't always take.
Go back some time later and there you still are.
If you're concerned about a loss of privacy, or being on some scary list somewhere, it's way too late for that anyway.
Other than moving completely off grid to some backwoods location, the time for hiding is long past.
And that just sounds way too boring.
Don't sweat it, you have plenty of good company.
Old January 28, 2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

As it said in the very first screen you saw when you first joined, even before you started registering, "under NO circumstances will TFL staff delete a member's account and/or a member's entire posting history."

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 29, 2016, 01:15 AM   #5
Water-Man

Why don't you explain to the OP why not?
Old January 29, 2016, 10:51 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

He'd already understand that.

If he read the explanatory note that I reference.

Which he indicated that he did when he clicked the link that said "I understand and I want to continue registering."

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 29, 2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Water-Man

Obviously, he forgot.

Why not say you can't or won't.
Old January 29, 2016, 02:29 PM   #8
tyme
Staff

Water-man: That explanation is in the first page you hit when you try to sign up, put there over a year ago so that staff shouldn't have to repeat it in these kinds of threads.

http://thefiringline.com/privacy.html

We're not unreasonable. If there's a particularly compelling reason for a request, even though it typically wouldn't be granted, contact staff privately and explain it.

Not being able to read the outline of privacy and data-permanence expectations that's put right in front of you when you sign up, alone, is not a very compelling reason for staff to do anything. And even without that page, there are certain obvious expectations about signing up for, and participating on, a forum. Expecting account deletion and post removal is, in general, not very reasonable.

Ask yourself this question: What interest do you have in account deletion or mass removal of posts that isn't outweighed by maintaining continuity of historical threads? The fewer posts you have, the less potential damage, but also the less reason to delete them.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)