The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2017, 06:06 AM   #26
CajunBass

There are a both a BPS and a Cabela's here in town. I used to shop at both online and catalog back in the day when was fishing a lot. I've never been to the Cabela's and probably never will. Don't remember when it was but the last time I in the BPS, I found the 44 Special brass I was looking for.

But then I HATE shopping. I even buy groceries online.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 19, 2017, 10:16 AM   #27
603Country

I prefer Cabela's to BPS. No specific reason, but I just like Cabelas better.

As for the merger/acquisition, do expect changes in the company being acquired. I was on quite a few M&A teams before I retired and my specific purpose was to find ways to reduce cost in the acquired company as we assimilated them. Usually that resulted in downsizing people, since employees are expensive. That all translates to "find a way to do business with fewer people". Also, there will be a long term effort to carry the same inventory in all stores, since it's cheaper when you buy more of it, due to your purchasing leverage.

Like Sam Cooke once sang, A Change is Gonna Come.
Old June 19, 2017, 07:22 PM   #28
old roper

We have Cabela's and BP Denver. They both give discounts to vet/retired and I'll support buying both stores.
NRA Life Member
Old June 20, 2017, 01:24 PM   #29
smarquez

The merger isn't complete. I would think it will take a while to see any significant change.
Old June 25, 2017, 10:16 AM   #30
iraiam

The Cabelas stores here in CO could almost always beat Bass Pro prices. We also have Sportsman's Warehouse so I view the merger as a negative overall just because there will now be less competition. Time will tell I guess.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old June 25, 2017, 10:28 AM   #31
HiBC

I'll tell you one thing Cabelas does that I find nowhere else.In their brands,they stock Big and Tall sizes.
A lot of outfits will sell a XXL or XXXL Regular. That does not work for me.
I can't use a shirt or coat that is not a Tall size.
Old June 26, 2017, 03:57 PM   #32
22-rimfire

Since I first visited a Bass Pro (BP), I have been sold on Bass Pro. They opened a Cabelas store near the Bass Pro a year or so ago locally. (Actually, the Cableas opened first while the BP was under construction.) Been to Cabela's a couple times and I still prefer BP. It used to be such a treat to visit either, but now I can drive 20 minutes and be at either store.

As stated, the purchase has not happened yet. Honestly hate to see both owned by the same corp.
Old June 29, 2017, 08:52 AM   #33
hdwhit

Quote:
FITASC wrote:
The brother's should not have given up control to the corporate bean counters...
They didn't.

They sold out to corporate raiders.

If they had really given up control to "bean counters", then the "bean counters" would have started out from the get-go controlling their costs and ensuring that everything they got involved with had a positive net present value.
Old July 8, 2017, 08:30 PM   #34
langenc

I was in Cabelas, Dundee, MI on the second day they were open about 17 yrs ago w/ my nephew.

We were walking around looking ending up at the "gun library." I said to my nephew "there aren't any books in there" so the fellow ahead of us in the white shirt, from Nebraska, could hear me.

He turned and looked at me like I had smoked too much wildweed or something.
Old July 10, 2017, 07:22 PM   #35
RolandD

The FTC has approved the merger. Cabela's shareholders vote on it tomorrow. The only snag right now is the Credit Cart Division.

I live in Branson, and work for a company loosely connected to Bass Pro and Johnny Morris, and I can tell you that Johnny makes all the major decisions himself, and even most of the minor ones. His decisions usually turn to gold, also.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old July 22, 2017, 09:38 AM   #36
ed308

Sad to see this merger. Not a fan of BPS. Rarely shop there.
Old July 22, 2017, 10:09 AM   #37
PoiDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
You follow me around or something? What is wrong with paying for Jerky with a credit card?
It took this guy 3 cards to buy a package of jerky. Other than that, do what you will. It's your card.