The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2014, 09:53 AM   #1
loademwell

Home Made Gas Checks...

Well, I am biting the bullet again.. lol... and am now going to start making gas checks. I have read that pop cans seem to work well.

So the big question is::::::::::::::: What one do I buy? Where can I get it? and how much is a good amount on one?
Old March 8, 2014, 09:57 AM   #2
BillM

Pop cans around here run around 5¢ per. Not sure if there are any
that are better than others.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Beagle333

everything you ever wanted to know about gas checks.

As far as I know, there are only 2 commercial gas checkmakers out there.
Pat Marlin's checkmaker, and the Freechex system.
You can decide between them, it's sort of like Ford vs Chevy in the arguments. Whoever has one, prefers it over the other. Both make checks.
(I have the PatMarlin version)

The Pat Marlin fits in a single stage press to stamp them out, and is a two step process. First, it cuts a disk, then you form the disk. You cut a bunch of discs, then run em back through to form them. Resulting in two pulls of the handle per finished check.

As I understand this: The Freechex maker either uses a mallet to whack em out, or you use a HarborFreight press to press them out (depending on if you get a Freechex II or III model) The Freechex model cuts and forms in one whack, or pull of the stronger press.

A lot of people make their own checkmaker and there are threads in the above link, which show you how to do it, if you have access to a shop.

Happy Reading!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 8, 2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Vance

I started out using Pat Marlins check maker. First a plain base model to make checks out of pop cans. Those I was never able to get formed correctly and they never stayed on the bullet. I would find them on the ground practically at my feet when I shot them. I sold that checkmaker. Next was a regular check maer from Pat Marlin. Those cut and formed right using Amerimax aluminum flashing at 0.014" thickness. With them it was about 50/50 that would come off or stay on all the way to the target. I also sold that check maker.

I now have 2 freechex 3's. One in 357 mag and one in 22 cal. I do buy my aluminium from yonky on cast boolits, but it is still cheaper than buying Hornady's gas checks. I haven't had any issues with the freechex gas check coming off.

Another option is to buy discounted gas checks over on cast boolits. There are a couple that I am aware of selling them. One is Blammer. Check the vendor/sponsor section over on cast boolits to find them.
Old March 8, 2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Beagle333

More folks who sell discount checks (from CB site).....

I have bought checks from Blammer, arjacobson, 338RemUltraMag, and Kyle623 and have no problems with any of those sellers.

For plain base checks, you can't beat n.h.schmidt
He made the pop-can ones that you have seen in my pictures.
He makes his own checkmakers and turns out a great check.
He doesn't sell checkmakers though.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 8, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old March 9, 2014, 11:36 AM   #6
mikld

Most pop/beer cans are too thin; .006"-.010". I needed to find some sheet or shim stock that went about .014" thick before my home made (Pat Marlins) would stay on the bullets. It was a good learning experience, but really labor intensive and I like plain based bullets a lot anyway...
Old March 11, 2014, 02:22 AM   #7
totalloser

One note of caution: Pop cans I believe are lined with PET or BPA plastic. Which is good as I see it since aluminum oxidizes (highly abrasive) within seconds of atmospheric exposure.

Obviously a lot of people are doing this, so it must work, but probably something to be aware of. This is why welders of aluminum brush surfaces *right* before welding.
Old August 14, 2014, 01:06 PM   #8
PatMarlin

Vance-
"I started out using Pat Marlins check maker. First a plain base model to make checks out of pop cans. Those I was never able to get formed correctly and they never stayed on the bullet. I would find them on the ground practically at my feet when I shot them. I sold that checkmaker. Next was a regular check maer from Pat Marlin. Those cut and formed right using Amerimax aluminum flashing at 0.014" thickness. With them it was about 50/50 that would come off or stay on all the way to the target. I also sold that check maker.

I now have 2 freechex 3's. One in 357 mag and one in 22 cal. I do buy my aluminium from yonky on cast boolits, but it is still cheaper than buying Hornady's gas checks. I haven't had any issues with the freechex gas check coming off.

Another option is to buy discounted gas checks over on cast boolits. There are a couple that I am aware of selling them. One is Blammer. Check the vendor/sponsor section over on cast boolits to find them."

This is my first post here at the Firing Line.

I've spent so much of my time perfecting the production process and adding calibers over the years to my Checkmakerâ„¢ die catalog, that it's taken up all of my time and the only time I hear about a problem with my dies is when a customer contacts me.

I'm starting to branch out now that my production development is nearly finished and wish to help educate shooters using my dies to help with any issues there may be.

Fit is seldom a problem and easily correctable. I fully stand behind my dies and guarantee them to be spot on and perform, so if there's ever a problem such as Vance expressed above, please email right away. I can quickly diagnose the issue most times and send out a new part or a new set of dies pronto.

So please let me know if there's an issue with any caliber so I can make corrections, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,

Pat