The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Beagle333

Noe 453423 RG2

The mailman brought me a present today. 'Just in time for Father's Day.
My new NOE 453423 RG2, in brass! This seems like it took forever to get enough names on the Group Buy for it to happen, but it was worth it.

I haven't cast with it yet.... (just got it today), but here are some of the same style from my Lyman 452423, so they'll look almost exactly like these. (but some will be HPs)

(if you aren't familiar with NOE molds, RG stands for Removable Guide)
The website: http://noebulletmolds.com
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 12, 2014, 07:30 AM   #2
reloader28

I have 3 NOE molds and really like them.
He does a nice job.

Last edited by reloader28; June 15, 2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: I miscounted
Old June 12, 2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Vance

I have 2 Noe molds. One is a non-hollow point mold and the other is a hollow point mold. I am not impressed with the hollow point mold.
Old June 12, 2014, 10:38 PM   #4
reloader28

Vance,
I sure like mine.
What problems have you had with it?
Old June 13, 2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Vance

It seems as though the hollow point pins are too big for the grooves cut in the mold. I get flashing all around no matter what temp I run at or what alloy.
Old June 13, 2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Beagle333

That's the first time I have ever heard of that problem. There is probably more of a learning curve with the RG system than the Cramer system, but flashing is a physical problem and not a casting technique. I'd contact NOE and tell them about that. They will fix or replace it if there is something amiss with either the HP pins or the block alignment pins.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 13, 2014, 03:49 PM   #7
Vance

It's the main reason I bought the MP 452 200 HP mold. Haven't had one bit of trouble with that mold.
Old June 14, 2014, 06:06 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

Like Beagle mentioned contact NOE and let them know whats going on with your mold, they will take care of it.

They make great molds and have a great reputation for standing behind their products as well. Personally I only have a few of them and in solid bullet forms, but I am looking into picking up a couple more in the HP variety.
Old June 20, 2014, 06:49 PM   #9
Vance

My mold is the 452 230gr. HP RG4 cavity PB mold. I took all the pins out and the mold halves mate up perfectly. When I put the pins in, I can see daylight coming though and it looks like the pins are too large in diameter for the slots cut for them.

I emailed NOE today about 3 pm. At 3:42pm, I got a reply from Al Nelson. He said box it up and send it in. He will repair it, replace it or refund my money. I just want it repaied or replaced. I liked the design of it. At 4:11pm, I got a phone call from Al Nelson stating the same thing as in his email.

After I looked at all my mold, I discovered I have a 3rd mold of theirs. It is a 360 160gr swc 4 cavity with gas check. I remember ordering the plain base version, casting a session with it, decided I should have gotten a gas check version and contacted NOE to see if I could trade it in. I was willing to take a loss on it because I had used it, but Al Nelson traded me straight across for it.

Definitely good customer service.
Old June 20, 2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Beagle333

Glad to hear it, Vance!

They seem like good folks. They do correspond well too. I hope they continue for a long time, since I'm building quite a collection of NOE molds!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 23, 2014, 07:46 PM   #11
Vance

Noe received my mold today. Al called me about 2pm saying he had checked it out and found that the brackets that hold the pins were defective and were not allowing the pins to set straight. Also found that 2 of the slots for the pins had burrs interfering in the pin fit. He says he removed the burrs and put new brackets on for the pins and the mold now closes properly. I have already received shipment notification that he has shipped my mold back to me. I should have it back Wednesday or Thursday. Same day turn around. Awesome.
Old June 23, 2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Beagle333

Awesome indeed, Vance. 'Glad they got it fixed up for you! Maybe now you'll make friends with it and post lots of HP pics.
Have a Colt and a smile.